Charlie Weis a good fit for us

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually agree. But I don't think the Rams do. Weis has done a nice job with QBs as a NFL OC. He got 29 TDs to 7 Ints out of Testeverde in NYJ. Got 27 TDs to 7 Ints out of Cassel in his lone year in KC. And, of course, we know what was done with Brady in NE.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually agree. But I don't think the Rams do. Weis has done a nice job with QBs as a NFL OC. He got 29 TDs to 7 Ints out of Testeverde in NYJ. Got 27 TDs to 7 Ints out of Cassel in his lone year in KC. And, of course, we know what was done with Brady in NE.
Most coordinators can succeed with Brady. What he did with Testaverde and Cassel is impressive. He has done well with defensive minded HCs. I think he is a fit. Get he or Chud.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's a terrible HC
But looking past success at Jets, Pats and Chiefs over 1 year at Florida? Hmmm. Thats pretty tough.

IMO, he needs to take a year off should have been no reason to accept the Kansas job, but he did and it was a total disaster. As an OC I just don't know if he has it or if he's up to it heath wise. IMO, Weis is still getting paid take a year off focus on getting totally back into shape and then come back to the NFL. Charlie is looking old and tired.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Not a big fan of this idea. Living on the west side of the state there was a lot of coverage of him basically mailing it in at ku, which I was fine with as a MIZZOU fan. It seemed like his heart wasn't in it and I'd really question if he has the passion and drive the OC would require.

Simba

Rookie
Mularkey is currently the TE Coach for the Titans and they denied the Bears permission 7 days ago and he's under contract so they are not letting him go would be a similar situation like Alex Van Pelt.
I have a question, You can help me.Isn't there a rule in NFL that not allow to the teams to stop their coaches if some different team give theme the possibility to have a better job (position)?Is there?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not sure your right ? It will be interesting though.

49ers vs The Rams --another match up.
-we get to pick before the this year.
- Vernon Davis or Patrick Willis would have been just what Scott Linehan wanted.Sure glad they picked Aldon Smith instead of Robert Quinn.

Rams might go with Hackett ..I personally think he is another retread like all the other fathers son guys.--Paul Hackett was no Pete Carroll at USC.Felt like they were on probation with him coaching.(Fisher-USC,Bears)
My example is Fisher going after Walton as D/C.He waited & brought in an up a ascending coach.

February is black history month,& being a James Harris fan.I like to thank Jeff Fisher for giving Walton a chance at D/C.In fact I could argue The Rams defense would have been much better with him coaching.Look at how (minus) long it took The Rams to record there first sack.The 2 game shutout was nice though.
I admire the way Fisher has waited for a good fit.I could The Rams would have hired Gage as O/c if Doug Monroe gets a head coaching job.You don't think him leaving the Bills & not getting H/C job didn't mess things up ??

FRO

Legend
I have a question, You can help me.Isn't there a rule in NFL that not allow to the teams to stop their coaches if some different team give theme the possibility to have a better job (position)?Is there?
That's only for HC, not coordinators.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

No the current rule is that if any assistant coach is under contract a team must be granted permission to interview that coach even if it's a promotion with exception of Head Coach.

The rule used to be that a team could talk to an assistant if it was a promotion, but then teams started getting cute and poaching coaching staffs by taking a coach and putting a supervisor tag attached to his title. For example if you wanted the Titan special team coach they would name him "Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams." and thus state that it was a promotion.

IMO, all they need to do is tweak the rule to include being a coordinator, but the problem with that is teams would start having a ton of Co-offensive/defensive coordinators. It seams unfair, but rules are usually put in place because certain people push the envelop over the edge and that is what happens with assistant coaches.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know if I want to go down that patriots style offense again since it failed so miserably with McDaniels
I do recall reading somewhere that Fisher was a Big Fan of Bellicheats Coaching stile though, so who knows!

Simba

Rookie
No the current rule is that if any assistant coach is under contract a team must be granted permission to interview that coach even if it's a promotion with exception of Head Coach.

The rule used to be that a team could talk to an assistant if it was a promotion, but then teams started getting cute and poaching coaching staffs by taking a coach and putting a supervisor tag attached to his title. For example if you wanted the Titan special team coach they would name him "Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams." and thus state that it was a promotion.

IMO, all they need to do is tweak the rule to include being a coordinator, but the problem with that is teams would start having a ton of Co-offensive/defensive coordinators. It seams unfair, but rules are usually put in place because certain people push the envelop over the edge and that is what happens with assistant coaches.

Thanks very much for You too.Now I have understood everything.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll agree with waiting on Chud. However, IDK who the the alternative is.

IMO, it will be Rob Boras and then they could add Nathaniel Hackett as Tight Ends coach. Hackett coached Quarterbacks/Tight Ends at Syracuse so maybe that's the play if Chudzinski goes to the 49ers instead of the Rams.

FRO

Legend
IMO, it will be Rob Boras and then they could add Nathaniel Hackett as Tight Ends coach. Hackett coached Quarterbacks/Tight Ends at Syracuse so maybe that's the play if Chudzinski goes to the 49ers instead of the Rams.
I expect Chud to go to the 49ers for many reasons. Hopefully Boras is good.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I expect Chud to go to the 49ers for many reasons. Hopefully Boras is good.

I've been having this debate with a very good friend of mine...I guess we will get to see how good Jeff Fisher is, but I have my reasons why the Rams could have an edge over the 49ers.

1. Experienced Head Coach and Tomsula makes Scott Linehan sound like a great orator.
  2. Gets to select his own Quarterback via Draft, Free Agency or Acquisition.
  3. If Rams show immediate improvement he will be on the short list for Head Coaches.
Granted the 49ers have a better history and their Quarterback situation is somewhat more stable and Chud did coach Cam Newton who some will compare to Kaepernick, however, IMO, if Fisher gives Chud total control on offense I think the Rams can land him and money won't be an issue because he's still getting paid by the Browns, but I am sure if Kroenke has to step up money won't be the issue.

FRO

Legend
I've been having this debate with a very good friend of mine...I guess we will get to see how good Jeff Fisher is, but I have my reasons why the Rams could have an edge over the 49ers.

1. Experienced Head Coach and Tomsula makes Scott Linehan sound like a great orator.
  2. Gets to select his own Quarterback via Draft, Free Agency or Acquisition.
  3. If Rams show immediate improvement he will be on the short list for Head Coaches.
Granted the 49ers have a better history and their Quarterback situation is somewhat more stable and Chud did coach Cam Newton who some will compare to Kaepernick, however, IMO, if Fisher gives Chud total control on offense I think the Rams can land him and money won't be an issue because he's still getting paid by the Browns, but I am sure if Kroenke has to step up money won't be the issue.
If Fisher doesn't win next year he is gone, so Chud could be walking into a one and done situation. Unless Tomsula is truly terrible he will have at minimum 2 years. The relocation issue is also a key. He has already moved his family from Carolina to Cleveland to Indianapolis. While Kaepernick has issues, he has been durable and you have solidity at the QB position. His game is very similar to Cam's and he had good success with Cam. The 49ers have a much better line, even if they lose Iupati. Just a more talent on their offense than ours. I don't think it's close on what job is better.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Fisher doesn't win next year he is gone, so Chud could be walking into a one and done situation. Unless Tomsula is truly terrible he will have at minimum 2 years. The relocation issue is also a key. He has already moved his family from Carolina to Cleveland to Indianapolis. While Kaepernick has issues, he has been durable and you have solidity at the QB position. His game is very similar to Cam's and he had good success with Cam. The 49ers have a much better line, even if they lose Iupati. Just a more talent on their offense than ours. I don't think it's close on what job is better.

Well, you and I will agree to disagree...Tomsula could very well be a one and done coach and they just went from one of the best coaching staffs to one that is in question the Ram staff has far more experience. The 49ers have major cap issues and just ran one of the best coaches out of town.

Chud dealt with drama in Cleveland, IMO, I think he goes with tranquility in St. Louis and as to relocation that is something that can be worked contractually as well. Time to take the 49ers off their pedestal FRO, IMO, they are on the way down and I believe Jim Tomsula is the next Richie Pettibone.

Last edited:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
IMO, he needs to take a year off should have been no reason to accept the Kansas job, but he did and it was a total disaster. As an OC I just don't know if he has it or if he's up to it heath wise. IMO, Weis is still getting paid take a year off focus on getting totally back into shape and then come back to the NFL. Charlie is looking old and tired.

I thought you said he looks like he's lost a step or am I on the wrong post? :) That said, I can relate to losing a step. He may just be burned out. I got that way after being in business for 16 years. it's a tough grind, and I imagine coaching is more so. Hell, I'm looking at going back into business part time but not sure. The freedom is appealing. :)

But I'd have no problem with the guy if "he wanted to do the job". I think you hit it on he's still getting paid?