Chargers, Rams reach agreement on sharing Inglewood stadium/ Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
From a nfl business perspective the business model purposed by the Rams was just too good to pass on. That's just the way things go in business. It's unfortunate for St Louis that kronke was the driving force behind the best proposal probably ever put forward to the other owners. They were unlucky. But the Rams just joined the big boys in the nfl. That's a good place to be.

That's all fine and dandy, but there should be consistency, if St. Louis wasn't allowed to have it then neither should San Diego.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's all fine and dandy, but there should be consistency, if St. Louis wasn't allowed to have it then neither should San Diego.

San Diego isn't allowed, the Chargers are, and so were the Rams if they stayed.

That's the difference, St Louis was trying to account for something that wasn't theirs to account for, it was up to the Rams. Kroenke could have stayed in St Louis and then turned down the extra 100 million, it was his call.. St Louis either misheard/misinterpreted what the NFL was saying, or figured they'd just include it anyway, but it wasn't for them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/29/chargers-make-smart-move-to-stay-put/

Chargers make smart move to stay put
Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2016

zz00ogzmoty3zgiwmwqxzwe1zgjkn2uyotvlmtdhmtu3oa-e1454114480324.jpeg
AP

The Chargers lost in L.A. Relocluster Relay, with the team’s preferred project in Carson finishing second in a two-venue rendezvous with Inglewood. But the Chargers have emerged with a win-win.

By working out terms of a shared stadium with the Rams in L.A. with a commitment to stay in San Diego for at least a year, the Chargers can eventually move with little or no blame or guilt. The cup has now passed to San Diego; if the people of San Diego want to find a way to keep the Chargers, the people of San Diego have one last chance to do it.

Don’t want to subsidize a billionaire? That’s fine, but the billionaire will be leaving, and the people in San Diego will have only themselves to blame.

And even if there’s no way to work out a new deal in San Diego, it makes sense for the Chargers to stick around for another season. Why not stay put when the alternative is to share space with the Chargers, Rams, and USC in the L.A. Coliseum? It will give the Chargers more time to plan the move, and to avoids the possibility of a sudden uprooting of the organization.

So now they get what could be a farewell season or the first of many more to come. Whether they stay, the Chargers have done their part. It’s now up to San Diego.
--------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...go-that-300-million-is-available-for-stadium/

Goodell reminds San Diego that $300 million is available for stadium
Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2016

As the Chargers execute a win-win, guilt-cleansing strategy aimed at getting them the stadium they want in San Diego or Los Angeles, the NFL has reminded the powers-that-be in San Diego of the contribution the NFL is willing to make to get a stadium built in the team’s home since 1961.

“We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement posted at the team’s official website. “NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league’s full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal.”

On top of the $300 million is the $550 million relocation fee the Chargers would avoid if they don’t move. Which would go a long way toward building a stadium, if Spanos would be willing to divert that money to building his own place.

But Spanos apparently isn’t inclined to spend all of the money he’d spend on a relocation on a stadium in San Diego. The question then is whether San Diego can move quickly enough to get a stadium deal in place before January 15, 2017. Last month, San Diego made a proposal that, if approved by voters and if successfully defended against any legal challenges, would add $350 million to the pot.

In the past, the Chargers have taken the position that all legal and political hurdles can’t be cleared so quickly, which makes this look a lot more like an effort to ensure that, if the Chargers move, the Chargers will be able to shift the blame away from themselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...san-diego-fans-every-game-better-be-sold-out/

Chargers players to San Diego fans: Every game better be sold out
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2016

Shortly after the Chargers announced that they will remain in San Diego for at least one more year, Chargers players gave San Diego fans a message: You’d better support us.

Chargers outside linebacker Melvin Ingram and wide receiver Keenan Allen took to Twitter and wrote that if San Diego wants to prove it deserves the Chargers, the fans should buy up every ticket.

“Staying in San Diego 4 another year..Every home game better be sold out..Charger blue everywhere Fans got what they wanted Now come support,” Ingram wrote.

Added Allen, “So it’s looks like we are going to be in San Diego for another season. The stadium better be packed. The fans got what they wanted. Now let’s see sell outs every home game! And not the other teams colors!”

That did not go over well with Chargers fans, who replied to the players on Twitter to say they’ve been loyal to the team for decades. Replies included:

“We’ve been supporting for over 50 years, bro. Stupid tweet.”

“Just send out another tweet and apologize dude. That was stupid and if you don’t get why fans have been mad…different story.”

“Might be kinda cool if y’all win more than 4 games though I mean if you want fans to show up.”

“Do you know how tone deaf you sound?”

It does sound tone deaf, especially when the truth is, selling out every game won’t keep the Chargers in San Diego. The only thing that will keep the Chargers in San Diego is the community agreeing to spend more taxpayer money on a stadium. If the city won’t do that, this will be the Chargers’ last year in San Diego.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN NFL reporter Jim Trotter explains why the Chargers decided to remain in San Diego for the 2016 season as well as what the team’s long-term future involves. (1:33)

Watch Trotter Talk Chargers

RamBill

Legend
The Chargers announced Friday they will remain in San Diego for the 2016 NFL season and continue working towards a new stadium in that city. The team reached an agreement in principle to share a new stadium with the Rams in Inglewood, but Chargers chairman Dean Spanos says “my focus is on San Diego.” Any agreement with the Rams would be seen as a strong indicator that the Chargers will ultimately move to Los Angeles – unless the deal was being made to help shape future negotiations with San Diego officials in the event Spanos decides to give the franchise’s home of 55 years another try. The Chargers have until next January to exercise their option to move. Jim Hill has the story.

Watch Jim Hill's Chargers Story

Name
Ramfan
The only reason the Rams moved to St.Louis was Georgia Frontiere who inherited the team and decided she wanted the Rams to move to her hometown St. Louis, so the Rams should never have had to move in the first place. The Raiders and Rams played to full stadiums it was these selfish owners Georgia Frontiere and Al Davis had to many demands:football:

diggity

Rookie
J.M.H.O.,
But...I see SD/private parties and the NFL dishing out $$$$$ for a state of the art Stadium. There's no reason to move.
GO RAMS!!!!

RamBill

Legend
Miller: Chargers never left San Diego for L.A. and never should

By JEFF MILLER / STAFF COLUMNIST

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/san-702099-diego-chargers.html

LOS ANGELES – I’ve never really felt sorry for anyone who lives in San Diego because, come on, it’s San Diego! How bad can things be?

San Diego is too idyllic, too cozy and comfortable, too completely pleasant to be home to anything more calamitous than Shamu suffering the sniffles, right?

I know this view is way too unsophisticated, that San Diego, like every major metropolitan area, has its problems. But everything is relative, and there are worse predicaments than a city struggling to master the even tan.

I’ll admit, though, that I felt bad for San Diegans when it appeared certain they were going to lose their NFL team.

Down there, the Chargers are beloved, and removing them from the local scene still seems about as fair as robbing the waves from Pacific Beach. San Diego without the Bolts sounds as incomplete as Frankenstein’s monster without the bolts.

Then, on Friday, team chairman Dean Spanos announced the Chargers will, in fact, remain in San Diego for at least one more season, and I couldn’t be happier for a fan base so loyal that it continues to willingly attend home games staged in a stadium with all the charm of a gutted cruise ship.

I’m sure there was a time when Qualcomm Stadium was an adequate dwelling for an NFL franchise. But I’m also sure there was a time when parachute pants seemed like a good idea. Those days, folks, ended a while back.

Still, horrible home and all, the Chargers aren’t going anywhere for now and maybe for a lot longer than that.

“I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and sense of possibility,” Spanos said in a statement that must have left San Diegans feeling cautiously optimistic, which is much better than their previous state: caustically pessimistic.

But, also on Friday, the Chargers reached agreement with the Rams – yes, our Rams (still sounds funny) – to share a stadium being built in Inglewood. Wait, being built? For an estimated $2.66 billion, maybe that stadium in Inglewood is being bronzed.

Anyway, the Chargers still could flee San Diego after the 2016 season and leave the city with empty hands and empty hearts.

The agreement with the Rams gives Spanos another year – and supreme leverage – in trying to get his own new stadium constructed down south. And isn’t it lovely when something as quaint as a game becomes about something as charming as a hostage negotiation?

By the way, remember when not having a team in L.A. was great for the NFL because it allowed all the other owners to use the potential of moving to the market as a threat whenever a new stadium was needed?

Apparently, that wasn’t the main reason we went two decades without a team. The Rams are here now, and the opportunity to squeeze municipalities and taxpayers alike hasn’t gone anywhere.

In Seattle, they call this sort of bullying “Beast Mode.” In today’s NFL, it’s known as good business.

All along, I’ve believed that somehow the Chargers and San Diego would figure this riddle out, even though at least 14 years and $20 million have been invested to date without a solution in sight.

Probably foolishly, I still believe the Chargers will remain in San Diego long-term, in part because of their history and prominence there but also because, as I’ve written before, I can’t imagine them moving here to become the other NFL team after the Rams.

Is it really smart for a franchise that never has won anything to walk into a situation where it would traditionally be cast as the runner-up?

I’m not saying the Chargers as a business would fail here. But I am saying their shorter – and more certain – path to success is in San Diego.

Then there’s this: If the Chargers do relocate, I can’t – no matter how much I suspend reality, bend my brain or inhale adult beverages – grasp the notion of the Raiders replacing them in San Diego.

That is one of the popular theories, that the Raiders would practically walk there from Oakland if necessary. Sorry, but that team and that town fit together like a prom dress on a pirate.

Of course, the Raiders also have been linked to Las Vegas, and exactly how explosive is that possible partnership? Seriously, hasn’t Vegas already seen enough hasty, unfortunate and ill-fated marriages?

Raider Nation descending regularly upon a city built on sin and skin, a town where America goes to be unchaperoned, a place without a last call for alcohol ... what could possibly go wrong?

That question will have to wait to be answered. Right now, at least, we know the Rams are here and, until further notice, can call Los Angeles their own.

The Chargers are back in San Diego, where they never left and never should leave. Certain things are just meant to be and meant to be for good, like those waves rolling up on Pacific Beach.