Chargers, Rams reach agreement on sharing Inglewood stadium/ Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...reement-on-sharing-inglewood-stadium/#content

Report: Chargers, Rams reach agreement on sharing Inglewood stadium
Posted by Josh Alper on January 29, 2016

When NFL owners voted to approve the Rams’ move from St. Louis to Los Angeles, the Chargers were given until January 15, 2017 to strike an agreement with the Rams to share their proposed stadium in Inglewood if they chose to make the move.

The two teams began talks shortly after that vote and Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the two teams have reached such an agreement in principle. There are no details about what’s involved in the agreement.

Reaching the agreement is a big step toward the Chargers making a move, but it’s not a final one. Chargers owner Dean Spanos still has to make the call to head up the coast and Acee reports that “some near the process say” he hasn’t “entirely made up his mind” about departing. Reaching the agreement could lead to action from San Diego that makes staying a more favorable deal for Spanos and the team, although there’s been no public comments from the team or city at this point.

The Chargers have already gotten the ball rolling on a team headquarters and practice facility in Orange County and the Los Angeles Coliseum is considering a change to their lease with USC to allow two NFL teams to use it as a temporary home.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just saw this.

I can't believe it. What are the Chargers thinking?

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
I really don't want to share the stadium with anyone. But honestly I think its a bad move for the Chargers. They should play hardball with San Diego and get a stadium built. No more cities should lose their team.

RamBill

Legend
Chargers announce they will stay in San Diego for 2016

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 29, 2016 at 05:45 p.m. Updated: Jan. 29, 2016 at 05:51 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-share-stadium-with-rams?campaign=Twitter_atn

The Chargers are staying in San Diego for the 2016 in hopes of negotiating a stadium deal with the city, team owner Dean Spanos said in a statement Friday.

Here's the full statement from Spanos:

Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.

I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.

Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.

I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.

With deep appreciation for your years of support.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Well, I think Deans intentions are clear at this point. He finally came to his senses and realizes SD is the place for him. Now we just have to keep the Raiders out and all is good.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe its leverage to get a stadium in San Diego

I suspect so. Otherwise it would be in their interest to move for 2016, rather than give the Rams a year to build up their fan base. They will have a year of selling tickets, dominating the local media, and being the team that is always broadcast on local tv. Only if the Chargers are still hoping that SD ponies up does that make sense for the Chargers to give the Rams that advantage.

Hopefully the Raiders will move to Vegas or get a new Oakland stadium approved, Spanos will get a SD stadium approved, and the Rams will have their palace to themselves.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Lol, I know we shouldn't talk bad about players and owners even if they aren't Rams but Dean Spanos is such a clown.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Chargers announce they will stay in San Diego for 2016

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Jan. 29, 2016 at 05:45 p.m. Updated: Jan. 29, 2016 at 05:51 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-share-stadium-with-rams?campaign=Twitter_atn

The Chargers are staying in San Diego for the 2016 in hopes of negotiating a stadium deal with the city, team owner Dean Spanos said in a statement Friday.

Here's the full statement from Spanos:

Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.

I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.

Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.

I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.

With deep appreciation for your years of support.

This makes total sense.

They will get their stadium, this time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry. Just kidding. You know, picture Joe Scibelli and Deacon Jones living under the Bleachers and Kroenke's goons coming in to throw them out on the street. :LOL::unsure::whistle:
No one but no one throws Deacon anywhere. :cool:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No one but no one throws Deacon anywhere. :cool:

like.png

deacon-jones.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[av]http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ce75E8Ir1qcy2nwo1.mp3[/av]

RamBill

Legend
Chargers won't play in Los Angeles in 2016
By Nathan Fenno and Sam Farmer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-chargers-rams-stadium-agreement-20160129-story.html

In another twist to their long flirtation with Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers announced Friday they will not move here for the 2016 season and will redouble their efforts to reach a deal to remain in their hometown.

Chargers Chairman Dean Spanos, disclosing his decision in an open letter to Chargers fans, said the team still had an agreement with the Rams to share their stadium in Inglewood, "but my focus is on San Diego."

"This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve," Spanos said.

The announcement means Los Angeles will have one NFL team when the season opens this year. The Rams are expected to play the first three seasons in the Coliseum while a stadium is being built in Inglewood.

The Chargers have until Jan. 15, 2017, to exercise a one-year option to move to L.A. The team can ask for the option to be extended one year if San Diego voters approve public financing for a stadium there. Should the Chargers remain in San Diego, the Oakland Raiders have the right to share the Inglewood stadium.

Spanos informed San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and County Supervisor Ron Roberts of his decision during a half-hour meeting Friday afternoon.

"We appreciate Mr. Spanos' commitment to staying in San Diego for the 2016 season to work with the region on a stadium solution," Faulconer and Roberts said in a joint statement. "We … will be working with him and our negotiating team on a fair and viable plan to put before voters."

Spanos echoed that sentiment: "I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility."

San Diego has pushed to put a stadium initiative on the ballot this year to approve public money to go toward a $1.1-billion stadium at a Mission Valley site near the Chargers' current stadium.

The Chargers had previously expressed concerns that voters wouldn't approve such a measure and that the city rushed an environmental impact report for the proposed project.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he is "very supportive" of the Chargers' decision.

"We look forward to partnering with the Chargers in Inglewood, but the decision, of course, is Dean's to make," said Rams owner Stan Kroenke.

When NFL owners green-lighted the Rams to move to L.A. and build a stadium in Inglewood this month, they also provided incentives to the Chargers and Raiders to pursue stadiums in their home markets. The teams backed a rival stadium project in Carson for the last year, but the effort didn't attract widespread support among owners.

As a consolation prize, owners pledged $100 million to each team toward new stadiums in their current cities. It's unclear whether the money would be a loan.

The Chargers would also be able to use a $200-million construction loan from the league toward a new stadium.

Spanos has another reason to try to remain in San Diego. Moving to L.A. would require the Chargers to pay a $550-million relocation fee to the league starting in 2019. The payments could be spread over 10 years.

The Chargers are developing plans for a five-acre training facility in Santa Ana in case of an eventual move to L.A.

Earlier Friday, the team reached an agreement in principle with the Rams to share the Inglewood stadium. The deal would leave the Chargers as a tenant paying $1 per year in rent, with the team's $200-million loan from the NFL and revenue from the sale of personal seat licenses being used to offset construction costs for the stadium.

The stadium, scheduled to open for the 2019 season, is expected to be the most expensive in U.S. history.

A second team would also be a boon for a surrounding development bankrolled by Kroenke. It would provide more visitors to what is envisioned as a sports and entertainment hub on a 298-acre site that will include shopping, office space and housing.

The Chargers had expressed reservations about the Inglewood stadium, including the venue's roof, artificial turf and location.

Now they will return to talks in San Diego — with L.A. still one decision away.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
So San Diego gets 300M in help from the NFL but Goddell immediately said hell no at that idea for St. Louis?

Seriously, fuck him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So San Diego gets 300M in help from the NFL but Goddell balked at that idea for St. Louis?

Seriously, freak him.

From a nfl business perspective the business model purposed by the Rams was just too good to pass on. That's just the way things go in business. It's unfortunate for St Louis that kronke was the driving force behind the best proposal probably ever put forward to the other owners. They were unlucky. But the Rams just joined the big boys in the nfl. That's a good place to be.