Chargers sell out stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Of course that's not saying much for a 30,000-seat venue.

oldrt0-stubhub.aerial.0215.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/season-743983-chargers-ticket.html

View: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/844959583558774788

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/chargers-on-track-to-sell-out-small-stadium/

Chargers steadily selling out (a small) stadium
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 23, 2017

The Chargers will avoid the sight of empty seats in their first season in Los Angeles.

They just won’t set any speed records when doing so.

According to an ESPN report, the franchise has sold all but about 600 of its season tickets for 2017. However steady the progress, selling out a 30,000-seat StubHub Center has been a process unlike what the Rams experienced when making their Los Angeles return in 2016.

The Rams sold all 70,000 of their season tickets in six hours, the Hollywood equivalent of a “Deadpool 2” screening.

The Chargers have taken longer to sell less.

They began accepting $100 refundable deposits on Jan. 12 and announced season-ticket prices on Feb. 14. They opened business to existing season-ticket holders (those from Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego) on Feb. 22 and to other customers on March 9, a club source said Thursday evening. So, it’s been two weeks since the public sale opened.

This was never a competition with the Rams. The Chargers know what they’re up against in a new market.

Their team slogan, “Fight for L.A.,” was chosen for a reason.

Nice "Digital rendering" of LA smog !!!...Geez, I miss that !!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Watching a NFL game in a smaller stadium like that would be an awesome experience.

It's hard to say what the future holds... and I've posted this before... it wouldn't surprise me if years from now smaller more-intimate stadiums are the trend.

Fans already have what they need at home to enjoy a game, in many ways better than at a stadium... why go to the stadium?

A smaller stadium offers the opportunity to address the shortcomings of attending a game in person, such as crowds, seat quality, sight lines, connected technology, etc.

Right now, the balance has shifted to some really nice perks watching from home... let alone the cost difference doing so.

Some team is going to figure this out from a marketing standpoint. Until then, the league is just going to keep churning out overpriced stadium experiences... until the money and attendance dries up.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
bnw said:
Both teams need to win to become the top dog and considering the Chargers better record than the Rams while being in a far tougher division than the Rams

A tougher division than the Rams? I don't know about that.
Denver has been to the Superbowl twice in the last 5 years.
Seattle has been there twice, SF once lost the conference championship game another year and Arizona played in the NFC Championship Game once.

Outside of Denver, who has done anything in the AFC West?
The Rams are 17 games under .500 the last 5 seasons, the Chargers -12.
What am I missing?

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chargers Stink!
1384053589059506097.png

http://www.goliath.com/sports/rogue...bdafd472a8a59f46&utm_content=nfl_premium_2017

San Diego Chargers – Philip Rivers
He might be one of the game’s premier passers, however, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is abhorred league-wide for being a big crybaby when things don’t go his way. On top of that, he’s been one of the top ten pivots over the last decade but has not been able to produce playoff success for long-suffering Chargers’ fans.

Known to be a great Dad and generally a good dude off the field, Rivers is widely known for yelling at officials, shouting at teammates, and barking at coaches who dare make a call that doesn’t go his way or pick a play he doesn’t like. He’ll be a Hall of Famer, that is certain, and a Hall of Shamer, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Known to be a great Dad and generally a good dude off the field, Rivers is widely known for yelling at officials, shouting at teammates, and barking at coaches who dare make a call that doesn’t go his way or pick a play he doesn’t like. He’ll be a Hall of Famer, that is certain, and a Hall of Shamer, too.

Go Back, Go Back, Go Back into the woods, your team is on the run and your coach is no good!

bnw

Pro Bowler
It's hard to say what the future holds... and I've posted this before... it wouldn't surprise me if years from now smaller more-intimate stadiums are the trend.

Fans already have what they need at home to enjoy a game, in many ways better than at a stadium... why go to the stadium?

A smaller stadium offers the opportunity to address the shortcomings of attending a game in person, such as crowds, seat quality, sight lines, connected technology, etc.

Right now, the balance has shifted to some really nice perks watching from home... let alone the cost difference doing so.

Some team is going to figure this out from a marketing standpoint. Until then, the league is just going to keep churning out overpriced stadium experiences... until the money and attendance dries up.

Well said. I don't doubt the consumer experience for the NFL product will change markedly in the next 20 years.

Smaller stadiums = greater exclusivity

I think it may be the future of attending the game. At home, who knows? I watched almost all last years Rams games on an 8' x 6' screen all by myself or with my son. DVR, remote in hand, waitress, room with pool table, and when at home I watch on a 50" Bravia and DVR. Just the DVR is huge at home since sometimes I'd rather have fun during the day and save watching the Rams lose for the evening....but only if Downton Abbey wasn't on.

bnw

Pro Bowler
A tougher division than the Rams? I don't know about that.
Denver has been to the Superbowl twice in the last 5 years.
Seattle has been there twice, SF once lost the conference championship game another year and Arizona played in the NFC Championship Game once.

Outside of Denver, who has done anything in the AFC West?
The Rams are 17 games under .500 the last 5 seasons, the Chargers -12.
What am I missing?

Well for starters you're missing two 12 win playoff teams last year in the Chiefs and the Raiders. A 9 win Broncos team and a last place Chargers team with a better record than half of the NFC West. Besides what has playing Seattle tough really ever done for the Rams? The trend has been to beat Seattle while losing umpteen games the Rams "should" have won. It's as if the Seattle games are this Rams playoff games and the rest of the schedule is one constant disappointment. Granted new regime with McVay and Phillips so we will see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I think your onto something here....because my ability to watch the game in my Ram man-cave with a lock on my door to keep all my distractions of aggravation away, with my soft HD big man rocker recliner, with my small refrigerator @ arms distance filled with all of a mans desires, the extra window AC unit turned on to freezer cold, so the rest of the family doesn't complain that I am freezing them to death, A restroom a few feet away, the blinds turned to dark to bring out the brilliant color HD on a very large screen where I can see & count the spit droplets flying out of a RB mouth after a hit is something hard to see how the current stadiums can compete with an well seasoned NFL fan. Finally the best is when you add in that I can go on line to Rams On Demand to chat instantly with some great Ram guys & galls to booth.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well for starters you're missing two 12 win playoff teams last year in the Chiefs and the Raiders. A 9 win Broncos team and a last place Chargers team with a better record than half of the NFC West. Besides what has playing Seattle tough really ever done for the Rams? The trend has been to beat Seattle while losing umpteen games the Rams "should" have won. It's as if the Seattle games are this Rams playoff games and the rest of the schedule is one constant disappointment. Granted new regime with McVay and Phillips so we will see.

I'm not missing anything. Over the last 5 seasons, the Rams are 17 games under .500. The Chargers? -12. Yes Oakland was 12-4 last year but the 4 years previous? 18-46 (the Rams are 17-46-1 over those 4 seasons).

The Chargers have 9 wins the last 2 years, the Rams 11.

Now I'm not disputing the Rams are the worst of the 8 teams....slightly since Oakland turned it around this year. But the divisions? IMHO, it's not even close, so I gotta disagree.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Franchise removal is the most disgusting thing that goes on in pro sports, yet it's supported by the league, the media looks the other way, and worse "fans" in new cities actually support the stolen team. It amazes me there are never any kind of lawsuits for falsely marketing a team as being inextricably linked to a city, i.e. "The San Diego Chargers," selling tickets, ads, merch, etc. based on that--then being allowed to renege on the product that was sold--with complete impunity.

There's just a lot wrong going on--no fanbase deserves having its team ripped away from them based on the financial whims of an ownership. The only decently-owned pro team is the Packers, who are publicly owned and can't be moved.

The NFL's musical cities structure is a colossal spitting-in-the-faces of the fans who make it all possible.

Bottom line is the people of L.A. should ensure the Chargers fail and are eventually forced to return to S.D., to the fans who have a better right to them than Spanos, which would also send a signal to the NFL and the media--but we all know that won't happen.

Last edited:

bnw

Pro Bowler
I'm not missing anything. Over the last 5 seasons, the Rams are 17 games under .500. The Chargers? -12. Yes Oakland was 12-4 last year but the 4 years previous? 18-46 (the Rams are 17-46-1 over those 4 seasons).

The Chargers have 9 wins the last 2 years, the Rams 11.

Now I'm not disputing the Rams are the worst of the 8 teams....slightly since Oakland turned it around this year. But the divisions? IMHO, it's not even close, so I gotta disagree.

Then we disagree. I see the Chargers having slightly improved over the last two seasons while the Rams have not. In fact 3 of the teams in the NFC West did considerably worse in 2016 than they had in 2015 with the exception of Seattle that posted a 10-5-1 instead of 10-6 record.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then we disagree. I see the Chargers having slightly improved over the last two seasons while the Rams have not. In fact 3 of the teams in the NFC West did considerably worse in 2016 than they had in 2015 with the exception of Seattle that posted a 10-5-1 instead of 10-6 record.

The thing is, that Phillip Rivers probably never plays in Inglewood, imo. When "LA" was being decided, he let it be known that he might retire if the Chargers had been chosen to be first in LA. He has a large family and will commute this year, so we'll see if family guy lasts more than one season in LA.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Jon Gruden:
age 34 became HC of the Raiders and finished 8-8
age 35 8-8
age 36 12-4 Oakland lost to eventual Super Bowl Champ, Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Champ Game.
age 37 10-6
age 38 12-4, Won Super Bowl XXXVIII, as 1st year HC of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Sean McVay was heavily influenced by "Chuckie" and Jon's brother, Jay. Does this mean he will have the same success? No way to know, but if you are going the stats direction of saying that McVay will fail, is pretty much BS to me. It's like saying that because a coin flip resulted in a "heads" result 9 out of 10 times, meant that the next flip had a greater chance to be "tails"...when it's always a 50-50 chance, every-time.

View: https://youtu.be/NbInZ5oJ0bc

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Wonder how many San Diego residents bought the season tickets in LA for the chargers.If the rams had moved 2 hrs or so away from STL, would think most STL rams fans would have bought season tickets.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've been to StubHub when I lived in LA when my son's soccer team got tickets to an LA Galaxy game (David Beckham was still on the team and had a sweet bending goal).

There are NO bad seats in StubHub. Seriously, watching a full game there would be awesome.

If I were a Pro Owner, I'd be MUCH happier building a 50-55k seating venue where EVERY SINGLE SEAT makes the event seem like an EVENT.

Even as ratings go down, the best seat in the house...is in your house. I don't care which seat in which Billion dollar stadium you have, the TV cameras give you the best viewing experience and it's not close. The reason to see the game in person is to be part of the event, not to see the game the best.

The smart play as owners have to finance their own stadiums more and more is an intimate venue with easy access, good room to tailgate, LOTS of bathrooms that allow for quick in and out and decent food at reasonable prices.

Football fans don't show up to a damn game for a gourmet dining experience. If the team's losing, the attendees (I dare not call them fans) who normally occupy the highest dollar seats and luxury boxes won't be at the game, anyway.

It's better to have fans on a waiting list and always be playing a sold out stadium because attending a game even if the team is struggling feels like a great time.

I've been to the Coliseum and...ugh.

NO DOUBT, I'd rather watch any event at StubHub than at the Coliseum.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
http://www.goliath.com/sports/rogue...bdafd472a8a59f46&utm_content=nfl_premium_2017

San Diego Chargers – Philip Rivers
He might be one of the game’s premier passers, however, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is abhorred league-wide for being a big crybaby when things don’t go his way. On top of that, he’s been one of the top ten pivots over the last decade but has not been able to produce playoff success for long-suffering Chargers’ fans.

I just see him as passionate and as we've experienced, there are players, coaches and officials who aren't all there.

I dunno that I'd always be a intense as he is and I think it hurts him sometimes, but dood wants to win and wants to hold his teammates and coaches accountable.

Sometimes, it feels like there's not enough of that in this league...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't see this as a laughing matter for Rams fans. Putting it in proper context selling those 30,000 seats is quite the accomplishment. DELETED had the benefit of an entire 2 years of speculation of a move to LA, camp in LA, the entire local media constantly covering the move to LA, etc. The Chargers didn't have any of that. Chargers were expected to stay in San Diego. Their move was a surprise. Their tickets also start with a good degree of relative exclusivity compared to the Rams. I'd much rather watch the pro game in person in a 30,000 seat stadium than a derelict 70,000-100,000 seat stadium.

Both teams need to win to become the top dog and considering the Chargers better record than the Rams while being in a far tougher division than the Rams......the Chargers shouldn't be so cavalierly discounted, even in Rams Homerland. DELETED is not used to competition and LA Rams fans should be concerned that the instant $1 billion appreciation in the value of the Rams franchise with the move to LA was the ultimate goal. A goal that has already been realized. Therefore is the plan to skate from here on out as a landlord of a new stadium? Or is winning the Super Bowl the plan? The Chargers HAVE to win. The Rams do not.
You are welcome to your opinion but we do not allow the use of derogatory terms toward current members of the organization.