Chargers sell out stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Of course that's not saying much for a 30,000-seat venue.

oldrt0-stubhub.aerial.0215.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/season-743983-chargers-ticket.html

View: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/844959583558774788

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/chargers-on-track-to-sell-out-small-stadium/

Chargers steadily selling out (a small) stadium
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 23, 2017

The Chargers will avoid the sight of empty seats in their first season in Los Angeles.

They just won’t set any speed records when doing so.

According to an ESPN report, the franchise has sold all but about 600 of its season tickets for 2017. However steady the progress, selling out a 30,000-seat StubHub Center has been a process unlike what the Rams experienced when making their Los Angeles return in 2016.

The Rams sold all 70,000 of their season tickets in six hours, the Hollywood equivalent of a “Deadpool 2” screening.

The Chargers have taken longer to sell less.

They began accepting $100 refundable deposits on Jan. 12 and announced season-ticket prices on Feb. 14. They opened business to existing season-ticket holders (those from Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego) on Feb. 22 and to other customers on March 9, a club source said Thursday evening. So, it’s been two weeks since the public sale opened.

This was never a competition with the Rams. The Chargers know what they’re up against in a new market.

Their team slogan, “Fight for L.A.,” was chosen for a reason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Quite the tepid response compared to the Rams selling out the Coliseum.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This just in. Standing room only in Chargers' new fan bus. Sources say seats sold out in mere weeks.
upload_2017-3-23_23-0-25.png

bnw

Pro Bowler
I don't see this as a laughing matter for Rams fans. Putting it in proper context selling those 30,000 seats is quite the accomplishment. DELETED had the benefit of an entire 2 years of speculation of a move to LA, camp in LA, the entire local media constantly covering the move to LA, etc. The Chargers didn't have any of that. Chargers were expected to stay in San Diego. Their move was a surprise. Their tickets also start with a good degree of relative exclusivity compared to the Rams. I'd much rather watch the pro game in person in a 30,000 seat stadium than a derelict 70,000-100,000 seat stadium.

Both teams need to win to become the top dog and considering the Chargers better record than the Rams while being in a far tougher division than the Rams......the Chargers shouldn't be so cavalierly discounted, even in Rams Homerland. DELETED is not used to competition and LA Rams fans should be concerned that the instant $1 billion appreciation in the value of the Rams franchise with the move to LA was the ultimate goal. A goal that has already been realized. Therefore is the plan to skate from here on out as a landlord of a new stadium? Or is winning the Super Bowl the plan? The Chargers HAVE to win. The Rams do not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see this as a laughing matter for Rams fans. Putting it in proper context selling those 30,000 seats is quite the accomplishment. DELETED had the benefit of an entire 2 years of speculation of a move to LA, camp in LA, the entire local media constantly covering the move to LA, etc. The Chargers didn't have any of that. Chargers were expected to stay in San Diego. Their move was a surprise. Their tickets also start with a good degree of relative exclusivity compared to the Rams. I'd much rather watch the pro game in person in a 30,000 seat stadium than a derelict 70,000-100,000 seat stadium.

Both teams need to win to become the top dog and considering the Chargers better record than the Rams while being in a far tougher division than the Rams......the Chargers shouldn't be so cavalierly discounted, even in Rams Homerland. DELETED is not used to competition and LA Rams fans should be concerned that the instant $1 billion appreciation in the value of the Rams franchise with the move to LA was the ultimate goal. A goal that has already been realized. Therefore is the plan to skate from here on out as a landlord of a new stadium? Or is winning the Super Bowl the plan? The Chargers HAVE to win. The Rams do not.

It's called gallows humor...None of us want those sorry bastids to move to LA, but there is no way we can stop it, but fukk the Chargers anyway. As for whether the Rams have to win now are not, are you crazy? If they didn't care about winning, Fisher would still be in charge. They committed a serious move up the draft to get Goff last year,which many considered foolhardy. They hired a highly rated, young HC and freakin Wade Phillips at DC, neither of which will accept the clown-show we have seen on the field the last 10 years.

You hate Stanley Enos Kronky, I get it, but the Rams have taken serious steps this year to prove they want a winning product on the field.

Psycho_X

Legend
Regardless of the penis measuring contest owners and fans seem to want to have in regards to size and cost of their stadiums I still think it's a really cool idea. Watching a NFL game in a smaller stadium like that would be an awesome experience. It's niche enough that it'll get them people to come watch the games while they wait for their new shared digs to be built.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless of the penis measuring contest owners and fans seem to want to have in regards to size and cost of their stadiums I still think it's a really cool idea. Watching a NFL game in a smaller stadium like that would be an awesome experience. It's niche enough that it'll get them people to come watch the games while they wait for their new shared digs to be built.

I can agree with that as a fan.

It would be an experience that is even better than my big screen TV, which is the proper comparison, for me (not the coliseum). The Last (and only) time I saw the Rams in the Coliseum in 1973, the players looked like ants on the field. I never saw a game there, but Ebbetts Field in Brooklyn had a similar feel I am told, when watching a Dodgers game. If I had the money,time, and opportunity to see a Rams vs Chargers game at that tiny venue, I would for sure do it.

bnw

Pro Bowler
It's called gallows humor...None of us want those sorry bastids to move to LA, but there is no way we can stop it, but fukk the Chargers anyway. As for whether the Rams have to win now are not, are you crazy? If they didn't care about winning, Fisher would still be in charge. They committed a serious move up the draft to get Goff last year,which many considered foolhardy. They hired a highly rated, young HC and freakin Wade Phillips at DC, neither of which will accept the clown-show we have seen on the field the last 10 years.

You hate Stanley Enos Kronky, I get it, but the Rams have taken serious steps this year to prove they want a winning product on the field.

History shows the youngest NFL head coaches fail. Period. They come cheaper too. See, same numbers but different equations leading to different views. What I see frequently since DELETED became majority owner of the Rams is 'big moves' whether that be in hiring coaches or making trades to leapfrog in draft position and promising state of the art stadium venue. None of which has translated to the field of play. I don't see winning. I hope with the Chargers move $tanK is motivated to see the Rams become top dog by winning, not 'big moves' PR crap. Chargers have no choice but to win. They need the fans to make money.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
History shows the youngest NFL head coaches fail. Period. They come cheaper too. See, same numbers but different equations leading to different views. What I see frequently since $tanK became majority owner of the Rams is 'big moves' whether that be in hiring coaches or making trades to leapfrog in draft position and promising state of the art stadium venue. None of which has translated to the field of play. I don't see winning. I hope with the Chargers move DELETED is motivated to see the Rams become top dog by winning, not 'big moves' PR crap. Chargers have no choice but to win. They need the fans to make money.
Jon Gruden:
age 34 became HC of the Raiders and finished 8-8
age 35 8-8
age 36 12-4 Oakland lost to eventual Super Bowl Champ, Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Champ Game.
age 37 10-6
age 38 12-4, Won Super Bowl XXXVIII, as 1st year HC of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Sean McVay was heavily influenced by "Chuckie" and Jon's brother, Jay. Does this mean he will have the same success? No way to know, but if you are going the stats direction of saying that McVay will fail, is pretty much BS to me. It's like saying that because a coin flip resulted in a "heads" result 9 out of 10 times, meant that the next flip had a greater chance to be "tails"...when it's always a 50-50 chance, every-time.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't see this as a laughing matter for Rams fans. Putting it in proper context selling those 30,000 seats is quite the accomplishment. DELETED had the benefit of an entire 2 years of speculation of a move to LA, camp in LA, the entire local media constantly covering the move to LA, etc. The Chargers didn't have any of that. Chargers were expected to stay in San Diego. Their move was a surprise.

The Rams moved halfway across the country. The Bolts moved a few county's north. They SHOULD be able to fill a 30k seat stadium quickly. Also, you pretty much argue against your own point with this....

Their tickets also start with a good degree of relative exclusivity compared to the Rams. I'd much rather watch the pro game in person in a 30,000 seat stadium than a derelict 70,000-100,000 seat stadium.

Exactly. So why did it take so long??

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still think it's a really cool idea. Watching a NFL game in a smaller stadium like that would be an awesome experience.
As long as the seats are soft, the bathroom lines are short, and the sunny side of the stadium isn't the one I'm on...it should be cool....Not the size of the stadium. IMO.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Chargers season ticket holders from years past have first dibs on this years season tickets.

Rams started fresh.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like a nice intimate place to watch a game.

Would like to see the geographical stats showing where the fans are coming from.

Could be a number of transplanted San Diegans around the area and some that have liked the Chargers for years.

Oceanside and Northern SD County not too bad a trip on a Sunday.

How many are making the trip from all the way from San Diego?

It's interesting to see where and how long fans will keep coming.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Jon Gruden:
age 34 became HC of the Raiders and finished 8-8
age 35 8-8
age 36 12-4 Oakland lost to eventual Super Bowl Champ, Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Champ Game.
age 37 10-6
age 38 12-4, Won Super Bowl XXXVIII, as 1st year HC of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Sean McVay was heavily influenced by "Chuckie" and Jon's brother, Jay. Does this mean he will have the same success? No way to know, but if you are going the stats direction of saying that McVay will fail, is pretty much BS to me. It's like saying that because a coin flip resulted in a "heads" result 9 out of 10 times, meant that the next flip had a greater chance to be "tails"...when it's always a 50-50 chance, every-time.

I'm merely stating that the youngest, as in record holding youth to be an NFL HC (which McVay now is)....usually have dismal records in their first year and likely some time after too. I was definitely wrong in stating they fail at first as that is the case with these three notable exceptions, Don Shula, John Madden and Al Davis.

http://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2017/01/13/youngest-nfl-head-coaches

bnw

Pro Bowler
The Rams moved halfway across the country. The Bolts moved a few county's north. They SHOULD be able to fill a 30k seat stadium quickly. Also, you pretty much argue against your own point with this....

Exactly. So why did it take so long??

Long? I don't see it as taking long. Especially given the surprise and lateness of the move which I did explain in my post. Scoff all you want but getting 30,000 people to potentially lay out thousands of $$$ in this economy for a new team in a city in which another team just moved to is very impressive IMO.

bnw

Pro Bowler
As long as the seats are soft, the bathroom lines are short, and the sunny side of the stadium isn't the one I'm on...it should be cool....Not the size of the stadium. IMO.

Sure if you're sitting close to the field and don't mind long lines for everything. Seats almost always better viewing in smaller stadiums since they are closer to the field. Of course if eagle eyed then it doesn't matter.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Was at a party a cpl weeks ago. Over heard a charger fan talk about how cool the move to LA would be if it wasn't for "those fuckin Rams"...pointed to the Ram logo on my hat and flipped him off...fuck the chargers