Chargers back to San Diego?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to LA !!

That is why The Rams & Raiders left .
The folks from LA don't like bad owners.

People can talk bad about Stan Kronke all they want.

The truth is he is using his own money to build one of the best stadiums in the world . On a very famous Southern California piece of real estate.

History will show what Stan brings to LA & So. Cal. Start with Super Bowls & The Olympics .
There may be some of that, but the fact is no one gives a shyte about the San Diego Chargers. AFC fans in LA are primarily Raiders fans who are a divisional rival..Ain't no way a Raiders fan becomes a Chargers fan, imo (at least in no significant numbers). The Rams had a built in base of old guys who watched and loved the Rams, and they are dragging their kids/grandkids to see the Rams....It will certainly help if Goff and Gurley, & Co keep hanging 40 burgers on other teams because that's exciting for everyone. Furthermore, The Raiders are moving to Vegas which isn't that far away for Raiders fans. The nice stadium and a previous 49 years in LA are the only reasons the Rams are in LA, but LA fans will never embrace an interloper like the Chargers, imo. when there are so many other options.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know this is just a rumor right now but if it is true what a PR mess for the Chargers, Raiders (because of the LV thing) and the NFL.

Chargers will not head back to San Diego until the Raiders are firmly in Las Vegas.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'd make less money because 8 fewer games means less revenues (not counting rent which is nothing) for him. He' wants a team there, it means millions of dollars for him.

Nah, the pittance he'd get from the Chargers would be outweighed by things like the percentage of PSLs and naming rights the Chargers would get. Not to mention that having a monopoly in LA would likely allow higher ticket prices/require fewer promotions to sell out tickets, increasing local revenue. It benefited the Rams to have the Chargers instead of the Raiders, who stood a chance of grabbing a larger percentage of local fans than the Chargers would - but it benefits profits even more in the long run to have LA to the Rams all by themselves. Kroenke is a real estate investor - he is used to thinking long term.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Man, I am listening to Colin Cowherd and he is reporting that Don Banks (longtime NFL reporter) is saying that his sources are saying the NFL is going to try and force the Chargers back to San Diego. It's a disaster so far for them, being the 2nd fiddle in LA and can't fill a soccer stadium.
Please say it's so.

nighttrain

Legend
Nah, the pittance he'd get from the Chargers would be outweighed by things like the percentage of PSLs and naming rights the Chargers would get. Not to mention that having a monopoly in LA would likely allow higher ticket prices/require fewer promotions to sell out tickets, increasing local revenue. It benefited the Rams to have the Chargers instead of the Raiders, who stood a chance of grabbing a larger percentage of local fans than the Chargers would - but it benefits profits even more in the long run to have LA to the Rams all by themselves. Kroenke is a real estate investor - he is used to thinking long term.
plus his stadium will be used for other events, lots of them
train

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Welcome to LA !!

That is why The Rams & Raiders left .
The folks from LA don't like bad owners.

People can talk bad about Stan Kronke all they want.

The truth is he is using his own money to build one of the best stadiums in the world . On a very famous Southern California piece of real estate.

History will show what Stan brings to LA & So. Cal. Start with Super Bowls & The Olympics .

Ummm. People like Stan don't use very much of their own money to build anything.

Banks put up the Funds.

Most likely Stan K didn't write one check for the Land or the stadium.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that makes me smile to think about.....Could you imagine if the Rams lost the relocation battle and the stadium in Carson, housing the Chargers and the Raiders, had been the plan? Spanos would have been the power partner with Davis happy for the crumbs in order to just be in LA.....Then the Chargers get 20,000 crowd on Sundays in Carson and the Raiders pack their games at capacity? OMG, the meltdown would have been epic....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ummm. People like Stan don't use very much of their own money to build anything.

Banks put up the Funds.

Most likely Stan K didn't write one check for the Land or the stadium.
Picking nits here. You still have to have the financial wherewithal to pull such funds. The better your position, the better the rates and the more confidence others have in you obtaining the backing. It may not be his money directly, but it is still his financial position that puts up the money and he's not going to the taxpayers to fund it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Raiders leaving LV for LA for sure. At least the NFL and media can collectively bash on Spanos for forcing the decision to have the Chargers move to LA in the first place

You're probably right. That would also be worse for the Rams because of the popularity of the Raiders in the LA area.

No - he'd have to get daddy to sell some of his condos or sign off on a loan. Remember - Dean never did have any of his own money - nor has he ever parlayed daddy's fortune into a bigger fortune.

I didn't know his father was in real estate..........I should have been so lucky to have a father that owned an NFL team LOL.

Chargers will not head back to San Diego until the Raiders are firmly in Las Vegas.

I would think they won't head back until a nre stadium deal is hammered out. But at this point who the hell would want to negotiate with Spanos?

Or Davis for that matter.

Hell, any NFL owner now that I think about it.

He may be used to thinking long term but he likes cash flow too of course. And having a second team in the stadium makes him a lot of money.

It makes Spanos more money to stay in that stadium unless SD and the NFL build one with him but at this point why would that city want that fucker back?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Picking nits here. You still have to have the financial wherewithal to pull such funds. The better your position, the better the rates and the more confidence others have in you obtaining the backing. It may not be his money directly, but it is still his financial position that puts up the money and he's not going to the taxpayers to fund it.

Yeah SK prolly has a solid credit rating LOL.

EastRam

Pro Bowler

That would be correct.

I just wanted to point out that he's most likely not writing checks out of his personal bank account everytime the construction company wants a bank draw.

The real question I would like to know is did Stan have to give a personal guarantee for the stadium like us small business owners?

nighttrain

Legend
That would be correct.

I just wanted to point out that he's most likely not writing checks out of his personal bank account everytime the construction company wants a bank draw.

The real question I would like to know is did Stan have to give a personal guarantee for the stadium like us small business owners?
Lots of $ changing hands, i'm sure some paper was signed
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He may be used to thinking long term but he likes cash flow too of course. And having a second team in the stadium makes him a lot of money.

How?

My understanding is that concessions, etc from Charger games will go to the Chargers. They will get a cut of the naming fee. They will get a cut of PSLs. Now, some money from PSLs will go towards construction, with the Chargers keeping 18.75% of what they sell - which would likely motivate them to undercut the Rams prices. Naming fees might be increased a tad with a second team, though whether it would be enough to make up for the Chargers' cut' of 18.75% is not clear. There would be competition for selling tickets, which would likely decrease the Rams' revenue. Also, for 10 weekends a year the facility would not be available to be rented out for special events. All told that's a nice chunk of change the Rams would lose out on (especially naming rights and price pressure). And that is for up to 40 years.

Kroenke would get the $200 million one time loan for construction from the NFL for the Chargers, so that would be a big help, of course - I assume the Chargers would be repaying that out of their ticket revenue. And IF the increase in revenue associated with the businesses in the neighborhood that Kroenke would be leasing space for outweighs what would happen if they rented the space for concerts or other special events those weekends, that might be a plus, though I suspect a small one at most, and possibly a loss.

I suspect the naming rights going to the Chargers would counterbalance much of the payments for the $200 million G-4 loan from the NFL to the Chargers. I think the rest would be a loss for the Rams financially, and that's before calculating what the value of the franchise would be if they had a LA monopoly, as opposed to sharing the area.

The Rams agreed to have another team in their stadium, because it was necessary in order to get the project approved. I doubt it was Stan's first choice.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
why would naming rights to Kroneke's stadium go to the Chargers? Makes no sense
train

Yeah, it's overly generous to the Chargers - as far as I can tell, there was significant pressure from the league for there to be a lease that made sense to the Chargers, so they could move - plus they didn't want the Chargers to fall through and have the Raiders leap at it instead. But every source I've found says 18.75% of the naming rights goes to the Chargers. That's why I doubt that the Rams would be too upset if the Chargers were forced back to SD, now that the Raiders are committed to Las Vegas. The Rams have acted in good faith towards the Chargers as the league required, but if they end up with LA to themselves, fantastic. Even if later on the league tries to stick another team there, the Rams would have a huge head start, and I doubt there would be as generous a lease offered.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
All this musical cities absurdity is a slap in the face to all fans. I'll always hope fans will build enough awareness to the point the NFL and the media will be forced to respect us.

If there's any right way to move a team--and of course there isn't--the Browns did it by leaving the name/colors with Cleveland so they could at least revive their team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if Kroenke loses money with the Chargers heading south in any case. I have no clue why Mark Davis would want LA instead of Las Vegas, especially since Sin City was never an option until very recently due to sports gambling being verboten. I don't think a better team for Las Vegas can be found than the Raiders. As for the Chargers, let them go back to to San Diego Jack Murphy, or whatever else that hunk of cr@p is called now-a-days to figure it out.

LA belongs to the Rams.