Chargers apply for trademark for “Los Angeles Chargers”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...apply-for-trademark-for-los-angeles-chargers/

Chargers apply for trademark for “Los Angeles Chargers”
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 19, 2016

Even if they’re not talking about the meetings, the Chargers are having meetings about moving to Los Angeles.

And that’s not the only thing they’re doing to prepare for a possible departure.

According to Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times, the Chargers have applied to trademark “Los Angeles Chargers” and “LA Chargers.”

The paperwork was filed two days after the Rams’ move to L.A. was approved, with the Chargers given the option to join them.

The application was signed by Chargers’ president of business operations,A.G. Spanos, with NFL senior vice president Anastasia Danias listed as the attorney of record.

Having that name secured will be crucial to making sure they’re able to sell all the stuff they’re going to want to sell when and if they get to L.A., and at least a sign they’re ready to make the move, as San Diegans hold out hope.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They'll say all season...."We haven't really thought about moving the franchise. We've done everything in our power to remain in San Diego...."

No way the Chargers team has success up here...Clippers are GOOD, and they still aren't established in LA...They'd be better off in Anaheim...or Riverside...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They'll say all season...."We haven't really thought about moving the franchise. We've done everything in our power to remain in San Diego...."

No way the Chargers team has success up here...Clippers are GOOD, and they still aren't established in LA...They'd be better off in Anaheim...or Riverside...

IMO Spanos has been patient and fair with the city, he's been trying to get a stadium built for so long he may be at the end of his rope.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO Spanos has been patient and fair with the city, he's been trying to get a stadium built for so long he may be at the end of his rope.
Not sure what Dean is worth, but if he can't pay out of pocket, he should get a loan and BUILD ONE himself.....San Diego is a really beautiful town....I can't imagine WHY he'd want to leave there, to come up here? LA certainly won't build a stadium....tax-payers have learned....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not sure what Dean is worth, but if he can't pay out of pocket, he should get a loan and BUILD ONE himself.....San Diego is a really beautiful town....I can't imagine WHY he'd want to leave there, to come up here? LA certainly won't build a stadium....tax-payers have learned....

SD is fantastic, I haven't been there for many years but was there several times and it was great.

I took the Amtrack down from LSA to SD once too........spectacular views

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Every Charger fan I know would beg to differ with you. Spanos (Dean and before him Alex) has tried to get a new stadium built by only putting in G4 money and a few game day revenues like parking. He has also always put the security on game day and maintenance on the city. At one point, he was apparently even trying to get a portion of the Aztecs game day receipts.

This is all part of what just didn't make sense to me as to how he was going to build in Carson. I suppose the revenues in LA just projected to be that huge.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Every Charger fan I know would beg to differ with you. Spanos (Dean and before him Alex) has tried to get a new stadium built by only putting in G4 money and a few game day revenues like parking. He has also always put the security on game day and maintenance on the city. At one point, he was apparently even trying to get a portion of the Aztecs game day receipts.

This is all part of what just didn't make sense to me as to how he was going to build in Carson. I suppose the revenues in LA just projected to be that huge.

Well it takes two, or in this case three, to tango and after this many years maybe a deal should have been worked out I don't know. There are only a few stadiums that are old/outdated now thanks to the LA leverage and they and the Raiders are in two for sure.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Not Anaheim! We don't like the Clippers here. Lol.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Because LA can support two teams.

His ideal scenario is LA empty, him in San Diego... That can't happen, so the next best thing is LA with one team, and him in San Diego.

Bad scenario? LA has two teams and he's in San Diego... Worse case? LA has two long established teams, Rams and Raiders, and he's stuck in San Diego...

Guess who's waiting for an opportunity to jump into LA? That's why Spanos will move.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Because LA can support two teams.

His ideal scenario is LA empty, him in San Diego... That can't happen, so the next best thing is LA with one team, and him in San Diego.

Bad scenario? LA has two teams and he's in San Diego... Worse case? LA has two long established teams, Rams and Raiders, and he's stuck in San Diego...

Guess who's waiting for an opportunity to jump into LA? That's why Spanos will move.
Maybe so and it would make sense. I just get a feeling neither Spanos nor Davis want to rent from Stan. And before those of you who want to demonize Stan at every turn read this wrong, I think it is because he has already beat them once when they had an overwhelming support from the LA Committee and they know that was no accident.

The cat is shrewd and knows how to craft things to get his deal done. Whatever deal they work out with him will be heavily weighted in his favor IMO. He is honestly THAT good at what he does. Hell - when he was trying to get an expansion team into the Lou he was ONLY worth $500 million.

Remember - there was NO WAY he was going to get controlling interest of Arsenal. It was supposedly a lock that Spanos had the votes to block him from LA. He outmaneuvered one of the largest land owners in the US to buy that huge ranch in Montana a few years ago.

If either one of them moves in with Stan, I'm betting there will be an early exit clause with each of them controlling the rights to their current markets.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

What I don't get is this: If he can pay $550 million to move his team, he got $100 million from the NFL last week, and he can get (if I'm not mistaken ... don't bet on this) another $200 million loan from the NFL for a new building. That's $850 million right there, that's almost enough to buy a new building. A little creative financing or a minority partner could probably get him the rest of the way there, he could have his stadium, and stay in San Diego where he's the only football fish in that pond. So why move? Or is he just dead set on extracting money from taxpayers if he's going to stay in San Diego?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Well so far he's successfully bluffed his way into 100 million.So my guess is he'll try everything aside from packing the trucks to get his way.He has to sell it to the people of SD that he will leave. Eventually someone will fold and usually it's the city that doesn't want to lose NFL status.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
From what I have read, he has the option of paying $550m upfront, or $64m per year for the next ten years. So he may not have the $550m right now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe so and it would make sense. I just get a feeling neither Spanos nor Davis want to rent from Stan. And before those of you who want to demonize Stan at every turn read this wrong, I think it is because he has already beat them once when they had an overwhelming support from the LA Committee and they know that was no accident.

The cat is shrewd and knows how to craft things to get his deal done. Whatever deal they work out with him will be heavily weighted in his favor IMO. He is honestly THAT good at what he does. Hell - when he was trying to get an expansion team into the Lou he was ONLY worth $500 million.

Remember - there was NO WAY he was going to get controlling interest of Arsenal. It was supposedly a lock that Spanos had the votes to block him from LA. He outmaneuvered one of the largest land owners in the US to buy that huge ranch in Montana a few years ago.

If either one of them moves in with Stan, I'm betting there will be an early exit clause with each of them controlling the rights to their current markets.

That was my thought as well... There were rumors about the lease agreement and the partnership agreement that Stan was offering before, and they were both very, very good..... Those likely went out the window as soon as they read the results of the secret ballot and saw that the support was flipped.

The NFL is apparently willing to jump in and mediate things if Kroenke doesn't play somewhat nice, so while I think that the deal wont be as good as they could have gotten before, they'll probably still get a decent one.. Spanos probably knows that Davis is at such a disadvantage that he'll take the shitty deal with a smile on his face.

I think that the Rams in LA, Chargers in San Diego, and Raiders either in Oakland or somewhere else with new digs would be great for the NFL (especially since it'll give the NFL two or three potential Super Bowl sites), but I think Spanos is going to take the LA deal. He burned more bridges than Kroenke did, long ago...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would hate to see the long suffering Charger faithful lose their team. I love the location of the Stadium was there last year for the Ram game and the location is great. I would like to see as many teams stay put as possible. I know I know old world thinking but there is something to be said about tradition. Build a new stadium and a winner and they will come. It is a great city with plenty of potential resources.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What I don't get is this: If he can pay $550 million to move his team, he got $100 million from the NFL last week, and he can get (if I'm not mistaken ... don't bet on this) another $200 million loan from the NFL for a new building. That's $850 million right there, that's almost enough to buy a new building. A little creative financing or a minority partner could probably get him the rest of the way there, he could have his stadium, and stay in San Diego where he's the only football fish in that pond. So why move? Or is he just dead set on extracting money from taxpayers if he's going to stay in San Diego?

Who knows.........none of this makes a damn bit of sense anymore does it.

RamBill

Legend
The pros and cons of sharing Los Angeles for the Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-and-cons-of-sharing-los-angeles-for-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Speaking to their fans in Los Angeles for the first time in person last Friday, Rams owner Stan Kroenke and chief operating officer Kevin Demoff mostly received loud cheers.

Kroenke, who is now public enemy No. 1 in St. Louis, even heard chants expressing love to him for returning the team to the city. But there were a couple of moments that left the Rams fans in attendance not so happy. Namely, any time Kroenke or Demoff mentioned the possibility of the San Diego Chargers or Oakland Raiders joining the Rams in L.A.

On Tuesday, representatives from the Rams and Chargers -- though not the owners -- had their first meeting to discuss options for the Chargers to make the move to the City of Angels. Nothing substantial came from those conversations but they're expected to continue at some point. The Chargers have until Jan. 15, 2017, to decide if they want to partner with the Rams in Kroenke's Inglewood stadium project.

That decision could be made sooner than later, though, as the Chargers have many reasons to not wait, not least of which is the fact that every day the Rams re-plant their roots in Los Angeles is a chance to build their fanbase further.

With that in mind, here's a quick look at the pros and cons of the Chargers (or Raiders) joining the Rams in Los Angeles:

Pros

Falling in line with the rest of this relocation process, the No. 1 reason it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a partner in the stadium is money. Simply put, if the Chargers decided to join the Rams as a full partner in the stadium, it would mean that Kroenke gets someone to share in the cost of a project that comes with a price tag that is apparently growing by the day. With interest, some estimates have that cost coming in somewhere in the $2.6 billion range. Kroenke can afford to foot the bill on his own, but a partner that could offset the cost of the project wouldn't be the worst thing and the Rams and Chargers could still sell personal seat licenses independent of each other to help recoup their investments. It would also mean additional money from the league's G4 loan similar to what the Jets and Giants got for MetLife Stadium. Keep in mind, a partner would only be sharing in the cost and revenue of the stadium, which only accounts for about a quarter of the project. Kroenke would still reap the rewards of the surrounding development.

In one option, the Chargers could come aboard as a tenant in the Inglewood stadium, which would mean the Rams let the Chargers play there for a presumably reasonable or even cheap rate. It would also mean the Rams could potentially have access to some of the revenue streams for all games played in the stadium, which means, yes, more money for Kroenke.

The sooner an agreement gets done, the sooner the Rams can begin selling PSLs, suites and the rest of their premium seating inventory. As it stands now, the Rams have to wait until 2017 unless they come to an agreement sooner. While the addition of the Chargers would bring competition for those dollars, it would give the Rams extra time to begin selling and, presumably, give both teams enough time to sell most of that before the Inglewood stadium opens in 2019.

While Rams fans understandably want Los Angeles all to themselves, there could be something fun about having a natural rivalry with an AFC team playing in the same building. The schedule wouldn't always allow for a Rams-Chargers game but even if it didn't happen in the regular season, it could be something the teams explored as an easy preseason game every year without the travel.

Cons

Just as sharing the stadium can be considered a positive for the Rams, it could also be viewed as a negative. Not so much for the stadium itself but for sharing the market. The Chargers currently claim that about 25 percent of their season ticket holders come from the Los Angeles area. The Rams have much deeper ties with the city but having the Chargers in town would mean competing for fans and their dollars. While San Diego hasn't exactly been a dominant team recently, the Chargers have been far more competitive than the Rams over the past decade. If the Chargers came in and started winning while the Rams continue to languish in mediocrity, the Rams could find themselves lagging behind.

The main focus for the NFL in returning to Los Angeles was to find a way to make the country's second-largest market work long-term. Immediately putting two teams back in Los Angeles would run the risk of over saturating a market that might not be willing to embrace multiple teams. At last week's owners meetings, it was reported that Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt was against having two teams in Los Angeles, at least right away. While some fans could view the options as a good thing, it's just another team competing for fans with the many teams already there in addition to the Rams.

There's no doubt that moving to Los Angeles should make the Rams more appealing to free agents, especially those who are young and single. Although state income taxes will increase dramatically from Missouri, Southern California sells itself in a lot of ways. The Chargers would still be competitive in that regard in San Diego but the size of the Los Angeles market makes it more appealing from an endorsement standpoint. Having another team there means even more competition for a team that hasn't really been a destination for free agents in the past.