Charger players trying to recruit Rams Fans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Deep pockets don't mean championships. Deep pockets in $tan's case means over priced experienced head coaches....wait...that has been corrected, outrageously over paid under utilized players, and a dream of making the playoffs as a 7-9 team. Somehow other teams with far less wealthy owners remain competitive/successful in less wealthy markets. I won't be surprised if the Chargers become the bigger draw in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Deep pockets don't mean championships. Deep pockets in $tan's case means over priced experienced head coaches....wait...that has been corrected, outrageously over paid under utilized players, and a dream of making the playoffs as a 7-9 team. Somehow other teams with far less wealthy owners remain competitive/successful in less wealthy markets. I won't be surprised if the Chargers become the bigger draw in LA.
Stephen Ross is the 2nd-richest owner in the NFL. Doesn't seem to help the Dolphins.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well... Chargers have been a two hour drive from LA for the past 56 years... in a salary cap league, "deep pockets" from an owner don't really make a huge difference... and the Rams kinda drove away fans with last year's showing.

You are absolutely right that whichever team shows on-field success first will have a huge leg up on the other. The good news is that the Raiders are not in LA, and that the Chargers have been boring and mediocre since time immemorial.
This is where I use my "local" card here, Dewey. They may have been close for a lot of years, and that has translated into very few fans gathered over the years. LA folks have never really liked the Chargers, the last twenty years they have liked the Raiders (and before), and they hate the Chargers. I think instead of liking the Chargers, Raider fans will just head north to Vegas to see them. With the Rams winning the NFC West this year, it's all academic anyway!:rockon:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Pshhh the chargers are the roommate who moved in but never pays rent. Couldn't even get there own home

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the Chargers could go either way in the short term.

The whole relocation situation last year was just "weird". I don't know how else to put it.

I mean, we think the Chargers are playing in LA in 2017... and the Raiders in Las Vegas? But... I am quite sure this isn't exactly how the NFL hoped this would go down and/or certainly 3 teams moving in the span of 2 seasons doesn't exactly look like the most stable thing for the league.

Again, just weird.

As far as the Chargers; they could be in for a stretch of some really dark days if that team does not come out winning. I mean... build a fan base while losing?... not a great combination.

They must win or it will get bad for them, short term. IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People can bag on the Rams for their non-playoff run and all, but since Stan has taken over he's fielded a near-500 team from a team that was a shambles before that, and built a world class stadium with the move to LA. So IMO as Rams fans we are finally entering that window where we get to benefit from years of pain and suffering under Georgia. Any fan who is stupid enough to switch over to another situation like that in becoming a Chargers fan is nuts. IMO.

SK was a part of the Rams during their entire time in STL. So he has ben a part of the hiring process all along, he just never spoke to the media.

Only way that Chargers get a leg up on Rams is if the product on the field (ie W-L) is vastly superior for Chargers.

That's true, and if it happens it'll be UGLY for the league because a shit team that is second fiddle in the market will be building a stadium and campus for a better team. That will look really, really bad.

Look at the Clippers and Lakers right now.

Somehow other teams with far less wealthy owners remain competitive/successful in less wealthy markets

100% correct. How much the owner is worth means nothing at all. Ask the Rooney's.

I am quite sure this isn't exactly how the NFL hoped this would go down and/or certainly 3 teams moving in the span of 2 seasons doesn't exactly look like the most stable thing for the league.

It's been a clusterfuck for the NFL in terms of PR and it's happening at exactly the wrong time. Goodell should have reigned this in better..........he couldn't have been clumsier.

Just a note to everyone laughing about the possibility of the Chargers being more popular.

Remember when the Raiders moved to LA? They were only there about a dozen years and guess what. They played better football and became the area favorite when the Rams had 30+ years in the market. Because they won games, went to the playoffs and won a SB while the Rams mostly delivered double digit losing seasons year after year. When they both moved out of the market the Raiders were WAY more popular, and they were selling more tickets and gear. What the Rams had done in the past didn't mean a thing.

@DCH is right. It's going to be a race.

jap

Legend
Aaron to Charger players: "This here town ain't big enough for two teams! You guys have got to go elsewhere real quick!!!"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
SK was a part of the Rams during their entire time in STL. So he has ben a part of the hiring process all along, he just never spoke to the media.

There is an enormous difference between being minority and majority owner. The direction this team took with STL along demonstrates that. Under Georgia they accepted the city not meeting contractual requirements, and would never have considered a move. Stan was not in charge as minority owner and to blame the team's performance on him in that role is disingenuous IMO.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Donavon Clark....who?
Strong words coming from a former 7th round pick. A for effort though....

I doubt anybody from Los Angeles wants to root for a team from North Tijuana, i mean San Diego. It would be like the Padres trying to take over LA from the Dodgers. Not a chance.

I could see them pulling fans from Orange County and maybe towns like Temecula and Norco but I doubt many from Los Angeles area

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well yeah, they have been.. The website to get season tickets is literally fightforla.com... They're trying to get all the LA fans, including Rams fans to their side.

It's funny though, they had some of the Spanos kids on Kevin and Bean last week for interviews and they talked about opening it up for callers, and you could hear both Spanos kids get nervous and asked to really screen the calls.. The second caller was a Raiders fan.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is an enormous difference between being minority and majority owner. The direction this team took with STL along demonstrates that. Under Georgia they accepted the city not meeting contractual requirements, and would never have considered a move. Stan was not in charge as minority owner and to blame the team's performance on him in that role is disingenuous IMO.

I'm not blaming him 100% but he was involved enough that he doesn't escape blame.

I can look at his track record as an owner and know enough. I've followed the NBA for many, many years and I am hoping Goff turns out to be a star otherwise we will be the Nuggets.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sure, i'll purchase a Chargers ticket, but it will only be when they are the HOME team playing the Rams in Stan's big beautiful brand new Inglewood Stadium, home of the Los Angeles Rams. The question will be whether anyone sits on the Chargers side of the field ? :LOL: