Change one draft pick from the past five years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Any one, but only one. Has to be for a player who was available at that position. 2009-2013 drafts.

As a follow-on, how many extra wins do you think would have come from that switch?

Me: 2010, pick #132 (Round 5) - We took Michael Hoomanawanui. The very next pick was Kam Chancellor.

I'm tempted to take an O-lineman, maybe Glenn instead of Quick in 2012, but to me this fills our biggest defensive need both now and the past few years. I'd say this would account for 4-5 wins since then, most of them coming in 2013.

Any constraints? Such as fitting under the cap? Picked within a reasonable number of picks? or can I just take anyone?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any constraints? Such as fitting under the cap? Picked within a reasonable number of picks? or can I just take anyone?
Not concerned about the cap, consider that to be a wash. I don't care how far down the board you go, either - you want to take Arian Foster instead of Jason Smith, be my guest, and I sincerely doubt anyone would complain.

If, however, you want to imply that a pick would have prevented a particular FA signing, go right ahead, the ripple effect is interesting.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Suh.......and yes, we all should know whom he'd replace.....

2nd choice....maybe that Quick pick for Randle or Floyd (was Floyd available?)

3rd......Cord Patterson (for Tavon), which would have allowed us to grab Larry Warford in the 2nd round

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Suh.......and yes, we all should know whom he'd replace.....

2nd choice....maybe that Quick pick for Randle or Floyd (was Floyd available?)

3rd......Cord Patterson (for Tavon), which would have allowed us to grab Larry Warford in the 2nd round

Alshon Jeffrey was available when Quick was selected. I'd go with him.

I'm with you on the third choice as well.

Irish

Starter
Shame you didn't go back to 2008.

The one that hurts, a lot, is Chris Long instead of Matt Ryan. Not to say Chris Long isn't a good player, but he is not the second player in the entire draft good, and Matt Ryan is a stud, prototypical quarterback.
2009- Laurinaitis for Jairus Byrd
2010- Bradford for Joe Haden

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

The one that hurts, a lot, is Chris Long instead of Matt Ryan. Not to say Chris Long isn't a good player, but he is not the second player in the entire draft good, and Matt Ryan is a stud, prototypical quarterback.
I'm pretty sure I disagree with all 3 of those... Long is one of the best all-around LDEs in the game, and IMO Ryan is Bradford with more experience and better weapons. Also Laurinaitis/Byrd is probably a wash. Haden is a stud, I'll grant you, but I'd take Gerald McCoy over him if we're set at QB in 2010.

I'm not sure anything good is going to come out of this thread only trashing certain players and massive arguments that go on for days and achieve nothing.

That said David for Pead.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm not sure anything good is going to come out of this thread only trashing certain players and massive arguments that go on for days and achieve nothing.

That said David for Pead.
I can dig it. David's a good player. Wish we'd gotten Bobby Wagner like Fisher hoped at Pead's spot, but Seattle was smart to jump on him.

FRO

Legend

What's Matt Ryan without Roddy, Julio, and Tony? I think pretty close to what Sam is without them.

Picking Quick and trading down for Pead is a move that hurts us the most.

FRO

Legend
Pretty much outside of Janoris, we would like a redo of the 2012 second round. That round was full of great players that would have filled needs.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Pretty much outside of Janoris, we would like a redo of the 2012 second round. That round was full of great players that would have filled needs.
Would be nice to have Glenn, Wagner and Jenkins.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah I liked Brown as well, wasn't that high on Kendricks (? Eagles) but he's turned out decent as well.
Surprisingly excellent group of LBers grouped in roughly the same area. How do you compare them to Ogletree, since taking David/Wagner/Kendricks/Brown would probably mean we don't take 'Tree the next year?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Pretty much anyone who turned out good instead of Jason Smith would have had fans howling for Devaney's head at the time.

2009 was the worst draft class I've ever seen.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Pretty much anyone who turned out good instead of Jason Smith would have had fans howling for Devaney's head at the time.

2009 was the worst draft class I've ever seen.
I think people would have been OK with Monroe or Oher (thanks to the book and movie hype), and maybe Andre Smith. Would have been nice to go into Bradford's rookie season with Saffold on the left and Andre Smith on the right.

Irish

Starter
I'm pretty sure I disagree with all 3 of those... Long is one of the best all-around LDEs in the game, and IMO Ryan is Bradford with more experience and better weapons. Also Laurinaitis/Byrd is probably a wash. Haden is a stud, I'll grant you, but I'd take Gerald McCoy over him if we're set at QB in 2010.

Well, the point is moot, as it was outside of the window we were allowed to pick from, but compare Laurinaitis production at his position vs Byrd's at his and the difference is glaring. Byrd is a bona fide pro bowler (3 times), all pro (3 times) and co led the league in interceptions in 2009. Plus, he's a Saint Louis Boy.

Joe Haden is my pick at corner because it gives you an absolutely lethal defensive secondary, and you still have Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Long (in this argument, as we couldn't change the pick) Ogletree, Jenkins, and could have back filled with a different MIKE backer at a different pick in a different draft. Bradford could be replaced by a QB in later rounds in different drafts with the same "relative" value (Kaepernick, Wilson, Dalton, for the sake of argument).

This team, up until the genesis of Robert Quinn last year had no game breaking talent. A lot of "nice" players (Long, Laurinaitis, Brockers), but no one that make you stop the film, put your pencil down and say "holy crap, that kid jumps off of the screen!" Byrd and Haden, on the other hand, do that, and they do it with amazing regularity.

Surprisingly excellent group of LBers grouped in roughly the same area. How do you compare them to Ogletree, since taking David/Wagner/Kendricks/Brown would probably mean we don't take 'Tree the next year?

I'd still take Ogletree, you're essentially replacing a 4th RB for an All Pro (in David's case) LB, may as well have an elite OL and elite LB corps and see where that takes you.