Chance Warmack (or Jonathan Cooper)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Now that the Rams have signed Jake Long (Awesome News/Signing!) would you sign Chance Warmack (or Jonathan Cooper if Warmack is not availabe)? The additions of Long and Warmack or Cooper (if, either one of them are available) could form an awesome offensive line (possibly the best in a LONG, LONG time!) for the Rams! The Rams just got a lot better today! Sam Bradford must be one Happy Ram right now! Great, Great News!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Warmack is there at #16, I'd strongly consider drafting him. Before the signing, I would have taken him over Austin. After it, I'd say it's equal for me.

Playmaker

I say Cooper and here are a few reasons why

#1. Cooper can play all 3 interior offensive line positions. Warmack is just a OLG.

#2. How many Alabama Offensive Linemen have went in the early rounds in recent drafts? How many have lived up to the hype? Makes one think it is more about the system and coaching at Alabama rather than talent.

I really like Cooper because he can play Center as well as both guard positions. I would take Cooper at #16 only if Sheldon Richardson is not available at #16. If Richardson is there at #16 I get the sense that he is the pick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, I'd go for Jon Cooper. He's the guy I've chosen to role w/ until the Rams take somebody else (lol). But I didn't know he could play 3 spots on the line. That makes it even sweeter.

Jone Cooper and Eddie Lacy. Let's go.

Slappy967

Starter
I would love to go Austin/Elam in the 1st and Warford in the 2nd personally. I do love what Cooper brings to the table though.

Playmaker

Angry Ram said:
Yeah, I'd go for Jon Cooper. He's the guy I've chosen to role w/ until the Rams take somebody else (lol). But I didn't know he could play 3 spots on the line. That makes it even sweeter.

Jone Cooper and Eddie Lacy. Let's go.

Yeah he played some Center at UNC. Scouts had him snapping the ball at the Combine during some drills as well.

I'm not that high on Eddie Lacy. Isaiah Pead is going to be pretty special. Reminds me of LeSean McCoy. And don't rule out Terrence Gannaway as the Rams big back. Although I like the Christie kid out of A&M as a 4th round pick.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont like Cooper. He doesnt fit IMO. He need to find a home on a zone blocking team. We don't run a zone blocking scheme. If you want a traditional, big, nasty, smash mouth OG that's Warmack.

Playmaker

libertadrocks said:
I dont like Cooper. He doesnt fit IMO. He need to find a home on a zone blocking team. We don't run a zone blocking scheme. If you want a traditional, big, nasty, smash mouth OG that's Warmack.

I see Cooper as a very good pulling OG. Would be a very good OLG. Also don't rule out Rok Watkins winning the ORG job from Harvey Dahl in the preseason. Watkins is cheaper, younger, and is under contract for 3 more years. Dahl is a UFA after 2013. Word out of Rams Park is Fisher and Boudraeu really like Watkins and he was the favorite to win the OLG job before he was injured.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I like Cooper. I have heard that Warmack is flat-footed, doesnt play on every down, and weight issues.

Plus no Alabama lineman has proven anything in the NFL (see Andre Smith)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Warmack or Austin...No on Cooper too small far better options later in the draft with Warford (Kentucky) or Winters (Kent State).

Gentlemen when it comes to Guard...Size does Matter!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Warmack for sure if he's available. I think he's one of the best talents of this draft. Austin if he's still there with pick 22.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
den-the-coach said:
Warmack or Austin...No on Cooper too small far better options later in the draft with Warford (Kentucky) or Winters (Kent State).

6'2 311 pounds is too small?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I wanted Warmack but after watching video on both I'm sold on Cooper. Just seems to be way more athletic and I would think has a higher ceiling. Watched him on a screen and he was down field as fast as the RB..impressive.

Give me Cooper and Austin in RD1 and I'd be a very happy man.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
den-the-coach said:

I advise you to go on you tube and watch video on both. I thought the same thing but what I saw (at least on the video I watched) was that Cooper actually stood up defenders better (on average) than Warmack. And the athleticism difference is obvious. Plus as ljr pointed out in this thread, Cooper is much more versatile.

Wouldn't be upset either way, but I now believe Cooper has more upside with good coaching.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
den-the-coach said:

I watched him against Missouri in the Independence Bowl. He did not play up to that weight (he around 295 lbs. at the most for that game; my personal opinion was that he was 290 lbs.), he was pushed around by Richardson (one of the rare games where Richardson did anything of note his sophomore year), and he wasn't nearly as good at pulling against our fast outside linebackers and defensive ends (UNC had their worst game on the ground against us). If Jonathan Cooper is drafted by us (which I doubt; his best fit is as a zone-blocking lineman), it'll be as a center; he's not nearly strong enough to function as a left guard in our system. Not a fan of Cooper; I like three guards ahead of him a lot more (Warford, Warmack, and Kyle Long).

Warmack is a great mauling run-blocker, but he will get beat in pass-protection by very quick and/or exceptionally strong defensive tackles (Mizzou defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, Georgia nose tackle John Jenkins, Tennessee nose tackle Daniel McCullers, and Mississippi State nose tackle Dewayne Cherrington gave Warmack the most problems last year). Like another person on here said, he looks very flat-footed at times. Doesn't look particularly nimble.

Personally, I like Larry Warford more than any of the other guards. In my honest opinion, I wouldn't mind if we drafted him at #22; he's going to be that good. Hell, he may not even be where we pick in the second round. Plug him in at right guard, put Watkins at left guard (where he has the ability to play), and resign Saffold, and our offensive line is set for a few years at the very least.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If it was up to me, I would take Warmack (or Cooper if hes gone) @ 16th & Kenny Vacc @ 22nd (Keenen Allen if Kenny is off the board)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
den-the-coach said:

I played the guard position of course not in the NFL but I do have to agree size makes a sizable difference

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Angry Ram said:

Yes...Compared to the others and Cooper has had to work hard to get to 311lbs was under that when he played at UNC.

A55VA6

Legend
I would like Warmack.. but if that means we'll lose Austin or Patterson between our 16th and 22nd pick.. Idk if I'd take him. I know LG is a need.. but I think its a safer bet to get that WR you want.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Now with Long and if they do like Roc as much as they say I might let 1st RD G's pass and look for Warford in the 2nd or Winters In the 3rd.
But per topic.
Warmack is the best.
Cooper would be the best choice for the Rams due to his better pass pro and ability to play center.
Warford is just as good as the others, not as good of a run blocker as Warmack, but better pass pro. Less pass pro that Cooper but better run blocker.

None of these guys are as good as Decastro last year. I would just take Winters in the 3rd and get playmakers and D help with the 1st 3 picks.

And since next year were in the same OL pickle with Saffold and Dahl we have to get one of their replacements this year. You draft for multiple years not just one.
So if I would go O-line this year in the 1st it would be Fluker or Watson at 22. Just harder to get a T than a G.
Saffold and Fluker can just fight it out this year, loser plays guard. Just that simple.