Celebration thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is supposed to be celebrating the win - not your prognostication skills. :fighting:
200.gif

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
You couldn't be more correct @LesBaker... The Defense has earned every single cent on their paychecks! The scrum between Ogletree and Donald today was something I actually respected no matter what the reason was.

How the Defense has kept its composure this long should be commended at the highest level. Next week at home vs Miami will make or break the fans of Los Angeles. A must win game for Fisher at all costs for the LA fan base..

I couldn't possibly agree more...They will burn him in effigy if they don't beat the 'Fins...And it won't be a dummy that they set aflame...If I was Jeff, I'd hit up Nascar for a fire-retardant suit for next Sunday...

Last edited:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Well I'll be damned. Good hard fought win today. Defense and special teams played extremely well. Hekker for MVP.

VICTORY MONDAY RETURNS TOMORROW!!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great defense and punt team today, GZ made his opportunities and the offense had a couple of nice drives.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Pretty cool gesture by Rams to send Isaiah Pead a game ball. Praying for him.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/797527223226040322

Hekker for MVP.

View: https://twitter.com/JHekker/status/797933165142835200

View: https://twitter.com/JHekker/status/797940888622211072

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-jets-sidebar-20161113-story.html

Johnny Hekker unleashes his leg to keep Rams in good position
By Mike DiGiovanna

1000x563

Rams punter and holder Johnny Hekker (6) celebrates with kicker Greg Zuerlein after he made a field goal in the first quarter. (Michael Reaves / Getty Images)

This was the football equivalent of John Daly crushing a 350-yard drive off the tee or Miami Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton blasting a 485-foot homer.

Punter Johnny Hekker stood at his five-yard line early in the fourth quarter on Sunday, the Rams and the New York Jets locked in a 6-6 tie, and took a long snap from Jake McQuaide, who was at the 17-yard line.

Hekker swung his right leg viciously upward and found the sweet spot on the ball, launching it high into the late-afternoon sky above MetLife Stadium. Jets return man Jalin Marshall retreated to his five-yard line to make the catch, meaning Hekker’s punt traveled 78 yards, the fourth-longest in Rams history.

In the air.

“It’s like you got the hybrid [club] out on the fairway and you really just lay into one and you know it’s going,” Hekker said. “There are times you feel it’s a good one and it’s not, and sometimes you feel it’s a bad one, and it’s good. Like golf, you stripe at the ball, and it goes. This one flew pretty good.”

Marshall returned the punt to the 15-yard line, where he was tackled by Cory Littleton. The Jets went three and out, and the Rams got great field position — at their 48-yard line — after Lachlan Edwards’ punt traveled only 35 yards.

The Rams drove deep enough into Jets territory to position Greg Zuerleinfor the 34-yard field goal that gave them a 9-6 victory, but the Rams would not have ended a four-game losing streak if not for Hekker, who punted seven times for 362 yards (51.7-yard average) and placed four punts inside the 20-yard line.

“When you’re looking at one 10-yard line and you see the ball end up on the other 10-yard line, that’s a good change of field,” Rams defensive end Robert Quinn said. “That’s why he’s a two-time Pro Bowler. He’s a special punter. They don’t get a lot of credit, but he helps us out a lot.”

The Rams were unable to punch the ball into the end zone but won a decisive victory in the field-position battle thanks to Hekker, whose work day started late in the first quarter, when, with the help of cover man Bradley Marquez, he pinned the Jets at their one-yard line.

Late in the second quarter from the Rams’ 16, Hekker boomed a 59-yard punt that, combined with Jalin Marshall’s fumble and Nick Marshall’s illegal block above the waist, pinned the Jets at their 10-yard line.

Early in the third quarter, a 52-yard Hekker punt, combined with Bryce Hager’s coverage tackle and another illegal block, pushed the Jets to their five-yard line. Hekker capped his day with his prodigious 78-yard big fly.

“That was a huge punt,” Rams Coach Jeff Fisher said. “They left their defense on the field. They were looking for a fake. As we always say, our fake history helps us at times and the plan was just to bomb it. He hit it perfectly, and the guys did a great job covering.

“We knew special teams had to have a huge day, and they did. Hekker and his cover guys did a fabulous job flipping the field a couple of times.”

As good as defensive tackle Aaron Donald has been, Hekker’s name has come up in conversations about the Rams’ most valuable player. He has an NFL-leading 28 punts placed inside the 20-yard line and entered Sunday with a 43.6-yard net average, third best in the league.

Such talk makes Hekker a little uncomfortable.

“I think they don’t really know what a punt team is all about,” Hekker said. “It’s not one player. … I’m not getting that punt off if the snap is not in the right spot. If my guys aren’t blocking, every punt is getting blocked. I really owe it to the other 10 guys who are out there doing their job.

“If they’re not flying down there … and tackling the returner, we’re not making those plays. I’m playing on one of the best punt teams I’ve ever played on. They’re really making me look good.”

Hekker booted a 75-yard punt last week against Carolina, but he got a lucky bounce, and the ball traveled 20-25 yards after it hit the ground. Sunday’s kick left his teammates in awe.

“Oh my God, he did an amazing job today,” linebacker Mark Barron said. “I’ve never seen anyone punt a ball like that. It was unbelievable.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“If they’re not flying down there … and tackling the returner, we’re not making those plays. I’m playing on one of the best punt teams I’ve ever played on. They’re really making me look good.”

This. We all know Hekk is a Pro Bowler, but yeah this coverage team has had a great year thus far too. Thomas in particular makes me think maybe he should have been a defensive player, the dude has some serious natural skill at it. And he's not alone of course.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Squish the fish!

And for gosh sakes, get Quinn a sack or two.

There was one play where I was certain Quinn had a strip sack. They whistled it dead and the ball went about 10 yards downfield. The commentators didn't say anything about it at all, but on the replay, it certainly looked like it was one of those "empty hand coming forward" type of plays.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a boring game but happy we won. Defense was pretty good. Although the Jets really shot themselves in the foot with huge misses to open receivers.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
You know, I see that a lot. As young as this team is, I think all of the pieces are getting better incrementally.

I honestly do.

One of the things needed is experience and they're getting that in these games.

I don't fear Ogletree being wasted for example. I see him playing better almost every game.

Loved the take away today.
I just hope our coaches get this offense going because you don't hold onto an elite level defense for too long before everyone wants more money

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Defense is finally coming around to being great, not just good. And we need great to possibly go further in the season. NO turnovers for the O.
Gurley getting a lil more daylight...slowly...ever so slowly...maybe this was the plan..Have him at full speed in week 17?
Kenny Britt.
O-Line...that was Mo Wilkerson, Len Williams...and Sheldon Richardson.

A win is better than a loss . Nice job defense.
exactly.

Our defense is pretty darned good.
yep...

this coverage team has had a great year thus far too. Thomas in particular makes me think maybe he should have been a defensive player, the dude has some serious natural skill at it
Mike Thomas is special. That's all I'll say...we need about 3 more just like him. Late round PLAYERS for the skill positions....And, I could see him being a ball-hawking corner...