CBS, NBC will share Thursday Night Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/01/cbs-nbc-will-share-thursday-night-football/

CBS, NBC will share Thursday Night Football
Posted by Zac Jackson on February 1, 2016

The NFL has reached a deal to share Thursday Night Football broadcasts between CBS and NBC, the league announced Monday.

Under the new deal, CBS and NBC will air five Thursday night games apiece in 2016-2017.

CBS has aired eight Thursday night games a year for the last two years. NFL Network has simulcast those games and had exclusive rights to the others. Under the new deal, NFL Network will have an exclusive eight-game package that includes Thursday night games and late-season Saturday night games in addition to continuing to simulcast the CBS and NBC games.

“We are continuing to make Thursday Night Football bigger and better,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “CBS has played an integral role over the last two seasons in helping build Thursdays as a night for NFL football, and we’re excited to have them on board again.

“At the same time, we’re thrilled to add NBC to the Thursday Night Football mix, a trusted partner with a proven track record of success broadcasting NFL football in primetime, and look forward to expanding with a digital partner for what will be a unique tri-cast on broadcast, cable, and digital platforms.”

CNBC tweeted that the deal is worth $450 million. A Bloomberg report said CBS paid about $300 million for the eight games it showed in 2014-15.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not a fan of Thursday night football.

Probably mostly because the game doesn't start until 9:30pm my local time. Not over until nearly 1am on work night!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'm not a fan of Thursday night football.

Probably mostly because the game doesn't start until 9:30pm my local time. Not over until nearly 1am on work night!

That's one reason I like being on the west coast. We are amazed at how late the games are back east when we stop to think about it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like it - if the teams played the Sunday before I don't think they have enough time to physically recover. Can't be good for player's health, and I think it tends to reduce the quality of the game. At least both teams have the disadvantage. And on the flip side, it gives the teams that play Thursday an advantage in their next game, which isn't fair to the other team - 10 days to recover, instead of 7. But I know I'm spitting in the wind - over $200 million per year in rights fees says it's going to continue.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I also don't like Thursday games, but less Phil Simms is always good news.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like it - if the teams played the Sunday before I don't think they have enough time to physically recover. Can't be good for player's health, and I think it tends to reduce the quality of the game. At least both teams have the disadvantage. And on the flip side, it gives the teams that play Thursday an advantage in their next game, which isn't fair to the other team - 10 days to recover, instead of 7. But I know I'm spitting in the wind - over $200 million per year in rights fees says it's going to continue.
Is there a statistical advantage or disadvantage?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a statistical advantage or disadvantage?

Both teams tend to play worse with the short week, which lowers the quality of play for the fans. It may hurt one or the other team more, but that's hard to predict. I'd guess usually the visiting team is hurt more, but I haven't seen an analysis of the numbers, frankly. Having three extra days to rest and prepare for the next game has to help them a bit for the next game though.

So the answer is "yes"