CBs at 23

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-2018-Mock-Draft-Roundup-Second-Edition/7dc28b00-3b76-4fb0-a74c-7a140e57c68a

mockdraft1-art-1.jpg

With the Super Bowl coming up on Sunday, it’s almost time for everyone in the league to officially turn their attention to 2018. But even before that happens, analysts from all across the web have tuned in predictions for who they think teams may select in the spring’s NFL draft.

And while all positions are not set, we know the Rams will have the No. 23 overall pick in the first round. With that in mind, here are some of the latest scenarios in the second edition of our 2018 mock draft roundup.

—————

We’ll start with Luke Easterling of USA Today Sports, who actually did a four-round mock draft. At No. 23, he’s sticking with the Rams selecting Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward — which is the same pick he had i his earlier mock draft before the playoffs began.

“If Trumaine Johnson doesn’t return, the Rams will have to invest premium resources in finding his replacement,” Easterling writes. “What Ward lacks in ideal size, he makes up for in just about every other area of his game, giving the Buckeyes another first-round talent out of a secondary that produced three last year.”

Ward has played extensive snaps over the last two seasons, though he was not technically a starter until 2017. After Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker, and Gareon Conley all left for the pros, Ward stepped in and played well for the OSU secondary this season, recording a pair of interceptions and 15 pass breakups.

Later in his mock, Easterling has Los Angeles selecting Michigan offensive lineman Mason Cole in the third round, and Washington State edge rusher Hercules Mata’afa in the fourth round. The Rams traded their second-round pick to Buffalo as part of acquiring wide receiver Sammy Watkins last August.

—————

Over at NFL Media, Daniel Jeremiah has L.A. drafting Georgia offensive guard Isaiah Wynn at No. 23.

“Wynn was an undersized offensive tackle at Georgia, but I believe he has Pro Bowl potential as an interior offensive lineman,” Jeremiah writes.

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 302 pounds, Wynn started 15 games at left tackle for Georgia in 2017, a year after starting 12 of 13 games at left guard. He was named first-team All-SEC recipient and second-team All-America by the Associated Press.

—————

Jeremiah teams up with Bucky Brooks for the Move the Sticks podcast, which put out a mock draft in its latest episode. Brooks had the Rams’ pick and chose Colorado cornerback Isaiah Oliver.

“They need a pure, cover-corner, someone that can either complement or replace Trumaine Johnson due to his uncertain status,” Brooks said. “This is a guy that, we always talk about at corner you need to be able to hit, run, and cover — he checks off all the boxes. Tough, physical, good ball skills, and he’s big. You have to be able to match up with some of those receivers in the NFC. This is nice fit for the L.A. Rams.”

Also at NFL Media, Lance Zierlein concurred with Brooks’ pick, as he also has L.A. taking Oliver in his first mock.

“Oliver is still a little raw in coverage, but his length and speed will be appealing to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips,” Zierlein writes.

Oliver recorded two interceptions and 13 pass breakups for Colorado in 2017. This season was also his first as a full-time starter, though he’s contributed on defense and special teams since his freshman season in 2015.

—————

Finally, two analysts have the Rams selecting Auburn cornerback Carlton Davis.

“If the Rams had a weakness in their huge turnaround from 2016 to 2017, it was at cornerback. They have to upgrade,” ESPN’s Mel Kiper writes (Insider subscription required - $$). “Davis had a great season and is my fourth-ranked corner. At 6-1, 200 pounds, he has good size.”

“With Trumaine Johnson heading to free agency unless the Rams can work out a long-term deal, cornerback should be a need for the team heading into the draft,” writes R.J. White of CBS Sports. “Davis brings similar size to Johnson at the position, and if he runs well at the combine, he could end up much higher than this when all is said and done.”

Davis started for three years at Auburn, making four career interceptions and recording three forced fumbles. He was a first-team All-SEC selection by the coaches, and a second-team All-America and second-team All-SEC selection by the AP.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finally, two analysts have the Rams selecting Auburn cornerback Carlton Davis.

“If the Rams had a weakness in their huge turnaround from 2016 to 2017, it was at cornerback. They have to upgrade,” ESPN’s Mel Kiper writes (Insider subscription required - $$). “Davis had a great season and is my fourth-ranked corner. At 6-1, 200 pounds, he has good size.”

“With Trumaine Johnson heading to free agency unless the Rams can work out a long-term deal, cornerback should be a need for the team heading into the draft,” writes R.J. White of CBS Sports. “Davis brings similar size to Johnson at the position, and if he runs well at the combine, he could end up much higher than this when all is said and done.”

I don't understand Kiper's take there tbh. Watching Carlton Davis he's just not in the class of the others. His size is good, but he's lacking the top cover ability of the top four IMO. I would be shocked if the Rams took him at 23. He's a "trade down and some of the other CBs are gone but we need to take the corner" type guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand Kiper's take there tbh. Watching Carlton Davis he's just not in the class of the others. His size is good, but he's lacking the top cover ability of the top four IMO. I would be shocked if the Rams took him at 23. He's a "trade down and some of the other CBs are gone but we need to take the corner" type guy.
I agree Davis is a third rounder to me. I could live with the results of the other mocks. Cole is a question to me but that depends on free agency same it’s Wynn in the first.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Josh in the first, Donte mo is a later rounder. Oliver, Ward, Jackson, Hughes and Meeks could all be in play early for us imo. Alexander scares me with his injuries and tackling.
Josh in the 1st was my thought too!!(y)(y);):D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Marie Alexander is my favorite, but I don't like the injuries. By the time the Rams pick one of the top two Centers may be bpa. If they can't trade back maybe they don't go defense in round 1.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I tend to believe, like many, that currently our CB situation is our #1 problem going into the off-season, so truly think this issue is likely dealt with first in free agency. Really can't imagine waiting until the draft to 'fix' such an important depth discrepancy where it becomes a crap-shoot waiting on a potential starter to drop into our laps. We can easily use the draft for depth, which we need, but first we MUST replace TruJo with a quality starter, and that is no guarantee where we first pick at 23. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I tend to believe, like many, that currently our CB situation is our #1 problem going into the off-season, so truly think this issue is likely dealt with first in free agency. Really can't imagine waiting until the draft to 'fix' such an important depth discrepancy where it becomes a crap-shoot waiting on a potential starter to drop into our laps. We can easily use the draft for depth, which we need, but first we MUST replace TruJo with a quality starter, and that is no guarantee where we first pick at 23. jmo.

And if they sign Tru then that is half the battle right there. Most teams try to plug every hole to some degree before the draft. Sign Tru and trade for Talib and problems solved. There are other options too of course. I don't see how it will make sense to not try to keep Tru when the other corner spot is not settled.

If they take care of it in FA then they can take the best player that falls to them at any need position. They could take another Tru in round three....a raw small school guy that has potential but needs work.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One corner that I really like is Western Michigan's Darius Phillips He isn't likely to be a first round pick because of his size but he is a good corner. He takes some risks in zone but is very good in man and has great timing playing the ball.

He'd be a good option in a trade back, if the top guys are all gone. I think he is prone Ted by most as a third round pick right now. I think he goes in round two. He plays much bigger than his size suggests.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know that he's a mid-round prospect, but J.C. Jackson really intrigues me. Got kicked off Florida for an armed robbery arrest, but he's been clean at Maryland. He's been one of the better corners I like him in the fourth round.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'll take Jaire over anyone besides maybe Ward and Joshua Jackson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let's say they sign Tru and even assume they also bring back NRC (which I think has an extremely low chance of happening, but let's play best case)... Here's our lineup:

CB1: Johnson
CB2: Web (injury rehab concerns) / Hill (played well in limited stretch for us but is UFA next year)
CB3: NRC
Depth: :poop:

That is not an elite lineup of CBs. It's not a deep playoff level group, it's a group that is one injury away from dropping big games. Even best case scenario in FA, we still are looking at CB as a very high need.

Now let's say they get one of those top four sticky type cover corners (will use Hughes here)...

CB1: Hughes (will immediately be our top corner)
CB2: Johnson
CB3: NRC
Depth: Web, Hill

Whether or not you agree that these top guys slot in ahead of Tru, fact is the one selection completely changes the makeup of our CB room. That is a deep playoff secondary in starting quality and depth.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Merlin:

That is the route I prefer. Re-sign TJohnson AND draft a starting CB. Agree NRC would not return under those circumstances, especially when it is far more important to re-sign Joyner.

But look at the secondary the Rams COULD have:
Joyner-FS
JJ3-SS
TJohnson-CB
Pick #23-CB