CBs at 23

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Since the CB position is probably going to have the most value at 23, and since it might well be our greatest need, figured I'd start there. Going to put up some film on the guys who might be on the board when we pick, starting with my favorite for the range of our pick:

CB Mike Hughes, UCF

Strengths: sticky coverage and an ability to play the ball even after he turns his hips and runs with the receiver.

Weaknesses: run support, which is common with top man cover prospects. He does a lot of diving at feet, gets washed out by receivers, etc.

Here's some film cuts of his games:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8nkaAIkbI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIhtlCvR7s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZrVyx7NCg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oJybcJ9Z0

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hughes along with a few others would be very nice picks there. I think I mocked Jackson to us, Ward and Oliver would be good too IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another bigtime press corner who fits this defense to a T. He's also slated to go in our neighborhood, well, for now at least, in round one.

CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville

Strengths: stickiness in coverage, insane ball skills and big play ability.

Weaknesses: bit fragile for my tastes, gets caught out of position/gambler, tackling of course as well as a cover guy.

Nice film here of him vs a top opponent:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hmIV5e0EII

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One more before I retire for the evening. Bigtime CB who I don't think has a snowball's chance in hell of dropping to us barring a terrible 40 time. And even then probably not. He's also 6'1" btw, so has rangy size to go with the cover skills you normally see with smaller dudes...

CB Joshua Jackson, Iowa

Strengths: insane ball skills, sticky man coverage, reads QBs like a pro.

Weaknesses: gambler, tackling needs work.

Feast your eyes on this, just ridiculous:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJVtak_jjY

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd also be curious who people would mock at CB to us at the bottom of the 1st or top of the second as I think a reasonable assumption could be made that we will try to trade down.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMHO, Jaire Alexander has the most upside, however, durablity has been a major concern in college and usually it does not translate well to the next level. Mike Hughes is the best press CB IMHO and might be the best fit for Wade's scheme.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd also be curious who people would mock at CB to us at the bottom of the 1st or top of the second as I think a reasonable assumption could be made that we will try to trade down.

Usually I don't factor in trading down because it's all about a player being available and a team wanting to move up, but I believe the Browns could want to come away with three picks in round one and you could receive two number two's, which would then give the Rams an extra pick that could be valuable....But again, there must be a partner to dance.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we go corner I'm hoping for Denzel Ward . IlI take Alexander in a trade down . Not a fan of Jackson, Oliver, or Davis . Iffy on Hughes

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a CB is BPA, fine.

But this team still needs to be built. It hasn't "arrived" yet. Our run defense is the number one thing that needs fixed. Due to the luck we had, I believe OL depth is the 2nd greatest need.

Letting one or two of Joyner, NRC and TruJo walk is something a team can afford to do when it doesn't have other holes - but we do. We need to re-sign all three of them, and then all of a sudden we're set at CB/S. This also makes sense because our pass defense was a strength last year.

I'd rather draft a T, G, ILB or DT than a CB, assuming comparable skill level. We can draft a CB later and develop them if we want to (although I saw enough from Troy Hill and Kevin Peterson to not really want to do that).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a CB is BPA, fine.

Hard to imagine it not being BPA really. If there's a run on corners (which would be required for that not to be the case), or if they otherwise prefer to address another need like OT or OLB/ILB then yeah just drop down while accruing another third round pick.

Gonna do some other corners here in a bit too, there's still some others that might be there at 23 or in event of a small trade down.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we go corner I'm hoping for Denzel Ward . IlI take Alexander in a trade down . Not a fan of Jackson, Oliver, or Davis . Iffy on Hughes

I cannot imagine not liking Jackson. Of course it won't matter because he'll be off the board far before 23 anyway. Ward is interesting, will put him up here soon just in case he somehow matriculates down to us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another cover corner, and one that is routinely listed as an earlier round 1 pick. Personally I don't think he stands out among the round one group, at least in terms of how consistently I see him listed up high (Jeremiah has him at 8 and talks up his run support calling him aggressive in run support which tbh makes me laugh). But take a look at him below and make your own call.

CB Denzel Ward, Ohio St

Strengths: sticky coverage, advanced use of hands in coverage without rerouting receiver too much (fine art there).

Weaknesses: can be too grabby, not as good as some others in this tier playing the ball, tackling sucks as usual for cover dudes.

He's got a lot of tape online so picked a couple vs good opponents:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8QRF9IuStk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw97PhLGwUc

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's yet another corner I see listed as a cover corner, Jeremiah says he's at his best in press, but I don't see it personally. I think the dropoff from the group listed above to him is noticeable in man coverage. He doesn't have the raw athleticism of the others, the change of direction or instincts. I'd say he's got more a zone future, fit for a cover 3 team than a Wade Phillips defense but make your own call.

CB Isaiah Oliver, Colorado

Strengths: big and moves well for his size, good straight line speed.

Weaknesses: second tier in man elements (playing ball, stickiness, etc), not as good as his size would make you think in run support either.

Here's a game vs my Trojans:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vijgh2r5wLY

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I admit I don't want to like this guy because he's so much of a flyweight, and I don't see him as a no-brainer selection for us like some of the guys in that solid first round tier. But he's a damn freak of an athlete which might make up for some of his weaknesses. He reminds me some of Jenks without the tude but better raw talent. I'd be surprised if the Rams took him at 23.

CB Donte Jackson, LSU

Strengths: can stick on probably anyone, raw athleticism and speed and uses it to buy time to look into the backfield.

Weaknesses: not consistent in playing the ball when he turns and runs, bad habits, gets muscled.

Some clips of him here (keep in mind second one is a highlight clip):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCKPphA0Xg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZtTwNSsuk

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think that's about all the "CB possibilities @23" types. Not gonna bother to list Minkah because he's a safety type most likely, not to mention top 5-10 type and future superstar, don't get a guy like him at 23. Derwin's another safety type moreso who is going to not play CB at this level, will list him in another position group.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So in summary the way I see it there are three cover corners who represent an immediate upgrade/fill for us at the position and keep in mind these guys are filtered for fit with Wade's defense:

Tier one types & priority at 23 (barring crazy 40 time results)...
1. Josh Jackson. Everything you want in a cover corner plus size. Won't be there but we can hope.
2. Mike Hughes. #1 CB from day one. Reasonable chance to be there at 23 due to size of group.
3. Denzel Ward. #1 CB from day one. Reasonable chance to be there at 23 due to size of group.

Tier two types & priority if we trade down (barring crazy 40 time results)...
4. Jaire Alexander. I don't know the injury side inside info, but he stands out in this group (CB1) so putting him here.
5. Donte Jackson. Reasonable chance he's a slot dude due to size, and regardless unlikely as a fit for us in this defense, which hurts his value, but he's a freak so he goes here.
6. Isaiah Oliver. Not sure if Rams think he can be maximized in this scheme, but IMO they need a CB1 who can blanket top WRs and play the ball and this ain't that dude. But if they trade down I think he's in play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting topic/list.....Seems that there are several corners in this draft...Deep...Wouldn't mind a nice corner...doubt Snead has to grab him at 23....Not his style...and this is a deep corner class....

I'm hoping for a run on QB's...and a DT or ILB falling to us...maybe a swing OT.

Just started looking at this guy....to see what the hype was about.... I likey

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting topic/list.....Seems that there are several corners in this draft...Deep...Wouldn't mind a nice corner...doubt Snead has to grab him at 23....Not his style...and this is a deep corner class....

Maybe so. Wouldn't surprise me if Les went with front seven early on and took a CB or two midrounds or later. Edmunds has been mocked very high too btw. Gonna do the LBs next, I think, might do the ILBs and OLBs together idk.

Jaire Alexander is really interesting though. His film is so good that if any team isn't too concerned with him being fragile (as mentioned above it concerns me because we can't afford to whiff on this pick) he's going to be competitive on the boards to the point where he might go off before 23. And if the other three are off the board at 23 there's a chance the Rams jump all over him simply because he's the best guy on the board plus a fit & need.

Basically IMO the elite type cover corners are pretty hard to find, particularly guys with the measurables the top 4 in this class have (I think they're all going to run and test really well in the shuttle). So yeah there's some guys who have some press ability well into this draft, but not guys who have those ball skills and stickiness the top guys do. In other words there's just a really good chance we see them draft a corner in round one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hughes along with a few others would be very nice picks there. I think I mocked Jackson to us, Ward and Oliver would be good too IMO.
I have two different "Jackson's", Donte Jackson - LSU and Joshua Jackson - Iowa, which one did you Mock OldSchool!? Or is there another one!?!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have two different "Jackson's", Donte Jackson - LSU and Joshua Jackson - Iowa, which one did you Mock OldSchool!? Or is there another one!?!
Josh in the first, Donte mo is a later rounder. Oliver, Ward, Jackson, Hughes and Meeks could all be in play early for us imo. Alexander scares me with his injuries and tackling.