CBA negotiations eyeing a new deal before the 2019 season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Unless I missed it, this was the first I heard of a possible new deal before THIS season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ons-eyeing-a-new-deal-before-the-2019-season/

NFL, NFLPA reportedly ramp up CBA negotiations eyeing a new deal before the 2019 season
It's looking increasingly likely that a lockout will be avoided

Even though the collective bargaining agreement doesn't expire until after the 2020 season, there appears to be an opportunity for the NFL and NFL Players Association to come to a new agreement not just before the current CBA expires, but also before the 2019 NFL season kicks off.

That's according to ESPN's Dan Graziano, who reported on Tuesday that CBA talks between the NFL and NFLPA will ramp up in July as the two sides eye a deal before the new season begins. According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the NFL and NFLPA have scheduled negotiations for July 17-19, during which the "potentially most contentious items" will be discussed. Finally, Graziano wrote that while "it's too soon to know whether a new agreement can be reached by the time this one expires," the NFL and NFLPA are both "optimistic" there won't be a work stoppage this time around.

Back in May, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that a deal could possibly be reached before the upcoming season, but "negotiations would have to ramp up considerably. Unless the pace changes, that's not seen as feasible." Well, the pace appears to be ramping up.

Obviously, all of this is good news for fans, players, and executives who have feared a potential lockout. It's also a little surprising given so much of what we've heard from players over the past couple years.

Last summer, Rams running back Todd Gurley indicated that he believed the players were willing to strike. Then, there was 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman saying in September that a lockout is "going to happen." In May, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith advised players to "plan for a work stoppage of at least a year in length." Given all of the issues that should be debated between the two sides, none of that was surprising.

Back in May, our John Breech wrote about some of the areas the players are looking to improve:

For the players, that will likely mean a deal that gives them an increased share of league revenue, exempting marijuana from future drug tests and getting contracts to include more guarantees. Players currently get 47 percent of league revenues and any number above that would most likely mean that the salary would make bigger jumps each season.

Meanwhile, team owners could reportedly push for an 18-game schedule, which the players likely wouldn't support due to injury concerns. According to The Monday Morning Quarterback's Albert Breer, some issues that should be addressed are stadium credits, media deals, and the revenue split. Breer added the franchise tag is not expected to be a big discussion point during negotiations.

In 2011, there was a brief lockout, but it ended before the season. If there is a lockout this time around, it wouldn't happen until the 2021 season. But at this point, even though there's still a long ways to go and negotiations could always take a turn for the worse once the contentious items are debated, it's beginning to look like a new deal will be reached before it comes to that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27102750/cba-talks-ramp-nfl-nflpa

Sources: CBA talks to ramp up for NFL, NFLPA

Talks between the NFL and the NFLPA aimed at reaching a new collective bargaining agreement are set to intensify in July in an effort to secure a new deal before the start of the 2019 regular season, sources close to the negotiations told ESPN.

The two sides have scheduled negotiating sessions for July 17-19, a source tells ESPN's Josina Anderson. It will be the first time both sides engage in talks for three consecutive days, specifically on this pending league deal, and the biggest and potentially most contentious issues are expected to be addressed, the source said.

The current CBA expires after the 2020 season, sources say there have already been three direct owner/player negotiation sessions so far -- one per month in April, May and June -- plus regular conversations between staffers for both sides in between those sessions.

The situation is far different than it was at the tail end of the previous CBA. In May 2008, owners voted to opt out of that agreement following the 2010 season -- a move that signaled their intention to lock out the players in order to secure more favorable terms in the next agreement. Lock them out they did, in 2011, though the two sides were able to reach an agreement in time to hold abbreviated training camps and a full 2011 season.

Though sources cautioned that it's too soon to know whether a new agreement can be reached by the time this one expires -- let alone by the start of this coming season -- both sides seem optimistic that they can come to an agreement without a work stoppage this time. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith recently sent a letter to player agents asking them to advise their players to save money in the event of a work stoppage, but a union source characterized that letter as part of the normal course of business -- "negotiate for the best, prepare for the worst."

The owners' side appears motivated to get a deal done by the start of the 2019 season for several reasons, including their planned "NFL 100" marketing campaign and the impending end of their deals with TV rights holders. If no new CBA deal is reached by March 2020, next offseason will include new contract and salary-cap rules specific to the final year of the CBA, including the lack of June 1 release designations and the ability of teams to use both the franchise and transition tags to keep players off the free-agent market.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm from Missouri on this one....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It would be nice this time to get a deal done early and avoid all the uncertainty. One thing they don't want to do is kill the proverbial golden goose. The anthem protests certainly hasn't helped. A lockout or strike could really damage the league this time around.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The evil part of me wants to see the owners get screwed.

The players could rent existing stadiums, hire medical personnel, hire coaches, hire refs, negotiate TV deals, pick teams, etc.

You know the ratings would be there - but it’ll never happen.

Psycho_X

Legend
Would be nice if they did but no way that happens. I could see the basis of a deal be agreed upon which would be welcome news but i’m sure the fine details will be haggled on through to next offseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Would be nice if they did but no way that happens. I could see the basis of a deal be agreed upon which would be welcome news but i’m sure the fine details will be haggled on through to next offseason.

This is where my gut is at.

But, boy... it sure would be nice to have the CBA finalized prior to Goff extension!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let dem blaze da ganja and they will sign anyting Mon !!!

Fo reals.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really thought it could be a work stoppage, but of all the sports the NFL has the most to lose. Gambling and now fantasy football gambling and you know that Enos Stanley Kroenke wants to ensure his Stadium is filled in 2020 and beyond, just too much and of all the sports the NFL Players Union has always been the weakest.

MauiRam

Rookie
Really thought it could be a work stoppage, but of all the sports the NFL has the most to lose. Gambling and now fantasy football gambling and you know that Enos Stanley Kroenke wants to ensure his Stadium is filled in 2020 and beyond, just too much and of all the sports the NFL Players Union has always been the weakest.

I hear you on filling his stadium; that said, Stan is well known for playing the long game. Consider how he wrangled himself into position to buy the Rams; how he quietly refrained from public comment about moving the team to LA. He was content in the shadows for years as long as things were falling in place for his "long game" vision .. I've no idea what will happen as this unfolds. I - like most everyone else - hope they can figure out a way to divvy up the pie to the extent an agreement is reached without resorting to a work stoppage.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice to hear there is an effort.

Unfortunately, these matters never get resolved until the last minute.

I really dont know what a fair percentage is for the players.
Is the 47% they get now a fair deal?

As far as weed. Who cares? Let them have it. Players should not be suspended for weed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think the owners will give on weed. New CBA before the season would be very shrewd by both parties. Still surprised by the continued reports about how things are going so well but we'll see.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They don’t even need to allow weed. Allow CBD oils and encourage the use of isolate oils and products. Give them leeway on testing by a small amount and your good.

Ram65

Legend
Adam Schefter (IIRC) said this week on the radio that the NFL Owners have changed their attitude to being less adversarial as they were in the past. More like a partnership approach. It's a bout time. There really is no reason they can't agree well before the 2020 season. They all lose if they have a strike. Time to get it done.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/17/nfl-isnt-really-pushing-hard-a-new-cba-by-week-one/

NFL isn’t “really pushing hard” a new CBA by Week One

Just last week, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed that the league wants to have a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in place before the start of the league’s 100th season in September. Apparently, the league has changed its position in the past seven days.

“There’s been some talk that they want this done be Week One — the league, that is,” Mike Garafolo of the NFL said Wednesday. “We are told that this is extremely unlikely at this point, not something that the NFL is really pushing hard. Everyone would like to get this done earlier rather than later, but everyone wants to do the right deal not just the quick deal.”

That’s definitely a shift; asked by CNBC at the Sun Valley billionaires’ summer camp whether NFL wants the CBA in place before the season starts, Goodell said, “That’s certainly our intent.”

It’s possible that the NFL adjusted its intent after realizing that it’s just not practical to get a deal signed, sealed, and delivered by the start of the regular season. Or maybe the NFL senses that the NFL Players Association wanted too much of a premium to move quickly.

Regardless, the deadline already has been adjusted. The more realistic target, in our view and for reasons previously explained, is the start of the next league year in March.