CB suggestions?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
In the first couple of rounds I really want to steal a CB kinda like Tru or JJ . I feel our guy is Quentin Meeks. He’s 6’2, awesome ball skills. You guys heard about him? Can’t fond a recent tape on him.

View: https://youtu.be/5po2MrKqNjo

Seems to be projected in the 2nd or 3rd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Who knows when they go but a couple others I've seen in the 1st round recently are Joshua Jackson Iowa, Isaiah Oliver Colorado and Denzel Ward Ohio St.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Who knows when they go but a couple others I've seen in the 1st round recently are Joshua Jackson Iowa, Isaiah Oliver Colorado and Denzel Ward Ohio St.

I've seen those 3 too, like Jackson, he always seems to be in the hip pocket of any WR and Oliver might have some huge upside, Ward is very good, no fear and wants to cover the best WR on the field, however, he's 5'10, Oliver is 6'1 and so is Jackson...Great thread @Corbin Rams IMO, go CB first round if they lose Trumaine Johnson, they also need another edge rusher (OLB) and future OLT as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With so many NFL teams in very critical needs for QB's & OT's will cause those two positions will go off the boards fast & will be over drafted in value. Thus it's possible that some seriously great corner prospects will drop into Sneads & McVays wheelhouse late in the first round & the 3rd round. When both your starting corners & our starting safety (who is our Nickle corner) are UFA's in 2 months all will demand mega $$$ contracts then you know its a good bet that CB's are being scouted heavy by Ram scouting department.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/CB

Currently I do NOT feel good about a selection of a LT with our First selection & have thoughts on a different approach to dealing with that LT critical situation.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With so many NFL teams in very critical needs for QB's & OT's will cause those two positions will go off the boards fast & will be over drafted in value. Thus it possible that some seriously great corner prospects will drop into Sneads & McVays wheelhouse late in the first round & the 3rd round. When both your starting corners & our starting safety (who is our Nickle corner) are UFA's in 2 months all will demand mega $$$ contracts then you know its a good bet that CB's are being scouted heavy by Ram scouting department.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/CB

Currently I do NOT feel good about a selection of a LT with our First selection & have thoughts on a different approach to dealing with that LT critical situation.

I see it similarly.

Both CB and OLB edge rusher will be very strong positions late round 1. So I'd say there's a really good chance the Rams go CB in round one, depending of course on the relative strength of the other guys on the board.

In a perfect world I'd like to see a blindside rusher drop to us and give us an impact edge setter for this defense, and then address CB round 3. The further we go this season the more I see it as a desperate need. Hitting on that would change this defense, but so much goes into that type of decision like when they feel the guys they like will go off the board vs the dropoff in CB vs OLB and all that.

But there are also some impact DL in this draft too. Vea just declared and will probably go top half of round 1, I'd take him in a heartbeat regardless of other needs if he drops to us, unlikely as that is since I think he's going top 10. How many teams will take NT ahead of us? Because you have Payne as well who would also be a fine pick for us in the late first round. As much as I like him, he might even end up on the board into round 2, given that run stuffers aren't as coveted as the 3T and pressure types like Wilkins.

The position that I think gets set back to next year's draft is LT. If I'm Snead I would approach FA looking for a young vet that Kromer can coach up, and I'd also draft a project type midrounds, but outside of a trade up it's very unlikely the Rams manage to address LT depth this offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see it similarly.

Both CB and OLB edge rusher will be very strong positions late round 1. So I'd say there's a really good chance the Rams go CB in round one, depending of course on the relative strength of the other guys on the board.

In a perfect world I'd like to see a blindside rusher drop to us and give us an impact edge setter for this defense, and then address CB round 3. The further we go this season the more I see it as a desperate need. Hitting on that would change this defense, but so much goes into that type of decision like when they feel the guys they like will go off the board vs the dropoff in CB vs OLB and all that.

But there are also some impact DL in this draft too. Vea just declared and will probably go top half of round 1, I'd take him in a heartbeat regardless of other needs if he drops to us, unlikely as that is since I think he's going top 10. How many teams will take NT ahead of us? Because you have Payne as well who would also be a fine pick for us in the late first round. As much as I like him, he might even end up on the board into round 2, given that run stuffers aren't as coveted as the 3T and pressure types like Wilkins.

The position that I think gets set back to next year's draft is LT. If I'm Snead I would approach FA looking for a young vet that Kromer can coach up, and I'd also draft a project type midrounds, but outside of a trade up it's very unlikely the Rams manage to address LT depth this offseason.

Some random (not overly thought out yet)on our present Edge Rushers being .....(one who is a UFA in 2 months) Barwin & Quinn who has been on the targeted release list in the off season. With this very young Ram team having earned & won the NFC West (Biggest Surprise in the NFL in 2017) plus a positive feeling of improvement in 2018 making this team the desired place to be in 2018 & beyond.

Both ER's Barwin 9 yr vets & Quinn 7 yr vet having spent most all of those seasons on a loosing teams (Barwin was in the playoffs once 2011) will desire to play here in a super friendly Edge Rushers dream Defense??? I am of the opinion that both can be retained in 2018 without big cap space offered up. I am thinking that Quinn will restructure to remain on a positive trending wining team so will Barwin. Quinn has had numerous health issues playing in the standard 43 defense post. Quinn & Barwin have been revived in this Wade Defense. Both have made mega millions now but have not been to the big game as of yet.

My position on Quinn has changed over the last 6 wks.If I am right then the Rams can take advantage of using the lack of critical need @ ER position until the later half of the 3rd day using those three 6th rders & once 7th rder's on the usual glut of college tweeners that are there in abundant amounts. Rams might strike gold with one of those late rd gems with more chances.

Rams also have some good options dealing with the future of the LT post even if Whitworth retires @ the conclusion of this season. Time will tell will it not.....

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both ER's Barwin 9 yr vets & Quinn 7 yr vet having spent most all of those seasons on a loosing teams (Barwin was in the playoffs once 2011) will desire to play here in a super friendly Edge Rushers dream Defense??? I am of the opinion that both can be retained in 2018 without big cap space offered up. I am thinking that Quinn will restructure to remain on a positive trending wining team so will Barwin. Quinn has had numerous health issues playing in the standard 43 defense post. Quinn & Barwin have been revived in this Wade Defense. Both have made mega millions now but have not been to the big game as of yet.

Relying on Quinn is extremely risky. I have high hopes for him through these playoffs, but to look ahead to the 2018 season and the long grind it's an enormous concern for myself in terms of whether Quinn can handle not only the beating of the season but maintain high production throughout. Even though he's looked better, that back injury looms and he's still not the same guy he used to be.

Barwin I am fine with bringing him back at a fair contract, and then use Ebu to spell him as he continues to develop. But that blindside is going to be a problem IMO and if I'm the Rams I want fresh young legs in that edge setter to counter Wilson, Garoppolo, and whoever gets added for the Cards in our division.

CB is a position that is a huge need for us, or will be our greatest need if everyone leaves in FA. But you can find corners outside round one easier than you can elite edge rushers, and we don't have our round 2 pick to insulate us on that. Plus I don't think the Rams will let all these guys walk.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I've seen those 3 too, like Jackson, he always seems to be in the hip pocket of any WR and Oliver might have some huge upside, Ward is very good, no fear and wants to cover the best WR on the field, however, he's 5'10, Oliver is 6'1 and so is Jackson...Great thread @Corbin Rams IMO, go CB first round if they lose Trumaine Johnson, they also need another edge rusher (OLB) and future OLT as well.

I have seen a lot of Jackson this year. I dont see him making it to the 20s even though he is projected to go in the 20s. He would be steal for the Rams if they could snag him there.

Corbin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn good posts!

This time of the year we are usually balls deep in prospects and the draft! I seriously haven’t really looked at anything or anybody except draft positions! Lol kinda refreshing tbh! Lol

Now I’m starting to get into the draft etc..

Thanks for your posts I agree with a lot of what you guys said.We need a CB regardless of Tru leaves or not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing about CB is that it's one of the most workout-dependent positions. We'll get a LOT of clarity during the Senior Bowl week for those guys who show there, but their workouts will be a huge part of which guy might slide to us.

Of those guys at the top right now, the one/s who kill it in the 40 and shuffle will stay/rise. It sucks, but it is what it is: the pain of pickin late round 1 b!tches!

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Any Longhorn fans here have any thoughts on Texas CB Holton Hill? Dude is a big corner at 6'3. Saw that he had declared but was suspended.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...nfl-draft-declares-texas-longhorns-suspension
The Houston Lamar product is now the third underclassmen to declare early.
By Wescott Eberts@SBN_Wescott Dec 4, 2017, 3:59pm CST TWEET
usa_today_10253893.0.jpg
John Gutierrez-USA TODAY Sports
After missing the final three games of the regular season due to suspension, Texas Longhornsjunior cornerback Holton Hill announced on Monday that he’s forgoing his final season of eligibility to enter the 2018 NFL Draft.

Hill missed time after violating team rules and may not have been eligible to play again at the start of the 2018 season, which could have influenced his decision to leave school.

“After careful consideration with my family, I have made the decision to forgo my senior year and turn my focus towards training for the NFL Draft,” Hill said in a statement released by the school.

“The past three years at Texas have been a great learning experience for me, and I appreciate everyone who has helped me throughout my college career, especially Coach Herman, Coach Washington, Coach Orlando and Coach Strong. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to play for such an amazing program at The University of Texas, and I know the values that have been instilled in me and lessons I've learned will continue to propel me forward at the next level.

“I can't say enough about the support my teammates have given me. Those guys are going to always be my teammates, and I know that bond will last way beyond our time here at Texas. I also appreciate the great fans, and even though I'm moving on, I'm always going to be a Longhorn. Thank you all for your support, the best is yet to come.”

Now the third underclassman to declare for the draft, Hill joins left tackle Connor Williams and safety DeShon Elliott in departing. Neither Williams nor Elliott will play in the bowl game.

Hill finished the season with 51 tackles, six passes broken up, two interceptions, and one forced fumble. After a disappointing sophomore season, Hill fulfilled the potential that he flashed as a freshman prior to his suspension, eventually drawing praise from coordinator Todd Orlando as his best defender.

At 6’3 and 200 pounds, Hill has an ideal build for the position, along with enough speed to intrigue NFL teams. Before getting caught for violating team rules, Hill had shut down a number of high-profile wide receivers, including Oklahoma State’s James Washington and Baylor’s Denzel Mims.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I actually like Nik Needham out of UTEP in the sixth round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I haven't had time to watch this year, but Oliver was easily the worst of the Colorado trio last year. I hope he's improved significantly.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I haven't had time to watch this year, but Oliver was easily the worst of the Colorado trio last year. I hope he's improved significantly.

I'm interested when you get the time to see your breakdown I like Jackson the best and I'm not big on Davis from Auburn, but here would be my top 7....

1. Denzel Ward...The Ohio State University
  2. Joshua Jackson...Iowa (Better Fit bigger CB)
  3. Levi Wallace...Alabama
  4. Tarvarus McFadden...Florida State
  5. Isaiah Oliver...Colorado
  6. Jair Alexander...Louisville
  7. Carlton Davis...Auburn

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If he decides to enter the Draft DeAndre Baker out of Georgia would be an excellent 3rd Round pick. He's only 5'10" but he covers receivers like a shadow. He has shut down his side of the field for most of the season and he did particularly well in the playoffs. I don't think he allowed a catch against Oklahoma and he shut down Calvin Ridley when matched up against him in the National Championship. He understands the art of body positioning and fighting for the ball. He's also a solid player against the run.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's a long shot, but besides drafting a quality CB, i'd like to see EJ. Gaines return to the Rams as a free agent. When healthy he's better than Webster and should easily compete for that #2 role. His past health issues should help keep his price tag reasonable. jmo.

Corbin

I'm interested when you get the time to see your breakdown I like Jackson the best and I'm not big on Davis from Auburn, but here would be my top 7....

1. Denzel Ward...The Ohio State University
  2. Joshua Jackson...Iowa (Better Fit bigger CB)
  3. Levi Wallace...Alabama
  4. Tarvarus McFadden...Florida State
  5. Isaiah Oliver...Colorado
  6. Jair Alexander...Louisville
  7. Carlton Davis...Auburn
Nice list man. I've seen mocks with Ward projected to our pick which from his reviews so far seem far fetched for us to pick up I find. haven't looked anybody else up TBH. I'm scared taking Bama Cb's to...
If he decides to enter the Draft DeAndre Baker out of Georgia would be an excellent 3rd Round pick. He's only 5'10" but he covers receivers like a shadow. He has shut down his side of the field for most of the season and he did particularly well in the playoffs. I don't think he allowed a catch against Oklahoma and he shut down Calvin Ridley when matched up against him in the National Championship. He understands the art of body positioning and fighting for the ball. He's also a solid player against the run.
I like your description of Baker. I'll have to review him in a month or two when I start working on my mocks!
It's a long shot, but besides drafting a quality CB, i'd like to see EJ. Gaines return to the Rams as a free agent. When healthy he's better than Webster and should easily compete for that #2 role. His past health issues should help keep his price tag reasonable. jmo.
I liked E.J. as well.. wouldn't be upset seeing him return either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not sure why people want EJ back, he was traded because Wade didn’t feel he was a fit for his man scheme.

Corbin

Not sure why people want EJ back, he was traded because Wade didn’t feel he was a fit for his man scheme.
He was traded because the Bills needed a CB, especially with game experience and were trying to milk all they could out of the deal outside of the 2nd rounder. Not to mention they more and likely wouldn't have done the deal without him thrown in. True story bro.