CB Justin Gilbert set to visit Rams on Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

March 29: Gilbert set to visit Rams
Gilbert told tulsaworld.com that he will meet with the Rams on Monday, and also has meetings scheduled with the Vikings, Jets and Lions. While the Rams are expected to target an offensive tackle with their No. 2 pick -- or possibly Jadeveon Clowney or Sammy Watkins, according to the latest mock drafts on NFL.com -- cornerback is also a big position of need, especially after the release of veteran Cortland Finnegan, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah. Jeremiah points to Gilbert and Darqueze Dennard as potential targets at pick No. 13.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ing-players-nfl-teams?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This draft is going to be interesting. It's fun that we'll be big players on day one!

duckhunter

Starter
Great size. As athletic, fast and quick as anyone in this draft. Three years of good solid play. Good corner back mentality. Decent at press and off coverage. This kid is good now but with his tools can be very good with our coaching staff.

duckhunter

Starter
Not happy.

I can see Dennard and Gilbert both gone by 13 and then Verrett, Fuller and Gaines is on the ram's radar but not at 13. Your boy, Donald, might be the target then.

As the little boy said when he saw the big pile of horse dung: 'There's bound to be a pony around here somewhere.'

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not happy.

You wouldn't be...

As my earlier topic stated, I'd like a top CB at 13. I'm good with Gilbert but I like Denard slightly better. However, Dennard played in the ACC. Gilbert could very well be the better player.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not happy.

As I recall you don't even think Gilbert is top three. I think he is the best Corner in the draft. You even like Verret better. The Rams didn't attend Verrets Pro Day. Seems they don't agree.

1.2 Matthews
1.13 Gilbert and I would be happy

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You wouldn't be...

As my earlier topic stated, I'd like a top CB at 13. I'm good with Gilbert but I like Denard slightly better. However, Dennard played in the ACC. Gilbert could very well be the better player.

You mean played in the Big 10.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It's like shopping for cars sometimes you test drive a car you initially have minimal to no intention to buy just to see what it has to offer. We ( front office ) have quite a bit of ground to cover before the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? I love it.

I think there's better value to be had at CB after pick #13.

As I recall you don't even think Gilbert is top three. I think he is the best Corner in the draft. You even like Verret better. The Rams didn't attend Verrets Pro Day. Seems they don't agree.

1.2 Matthews
1.13 Gilbert and I would be happy

Well, there are certain traits I look for in CBs. There's nothing particularly wrong with Gilbert as a player. He's a gambler but I'm not opposed to that. He was atrocious in 2012 but he came back with a much better 2013.

But yes, I do prefer Verrett. I have him, Kyle Fuller, and Dennard as my top 3 based on film review.

Gilbert has great long speed and rarely ever gets beaten deep(usually, when he does, it's due to him peeking in the back-field). Gilbert also has loose hips and drives extremely well on the ball. However, he has issues with quick WRs that run great routes. IMO, he doesn't have the greatest instincts and often will get caught out of position by WRs that incorporate fakes into their routes. Here he is against Kenny Stills in 2012:

What WRs did Gilbert go up against in 2013 that presented that sort of challenge? IMO, if he had faced Jared Abbrederis, Abbrederis would have torched him. And many people use Roby's game against Abbrederis as an indictment of his skill.(not that I particularly like Roby as a prospect either)

That's part of why I prefer Verrett, he's a much quicker and smoother CB with better instincts and route anticipation. He's a better technician.

The other big thing that I think Gilbert lacks is physicality. I like feisty, mean CBs. I like guys that play with a chip on their shoulder. That's not Gilbert. He's what you call a hugger and an ankle biter. Guy rarely will square up and try to take on a runner. He often will either try grab the legs, hug them from the side and get dragged, or will try to take out their ankles. And that often results in the guy picking up extra yardage.

Additionally, he gives little effort to fight off the block once the WR locks on. He tries to avoid the block but if the WR gets his hands on him, Gilbert will go where the WR takes him. I don't like that.

Is Gilbert a bad CB? No. He's a very talented kid that should do well in the right scheme. I just don't think the value is right at #13.

Here's Jason Verrett against projected 1st round pick, Odell Beckham Jr. and projected 3rd rounder, Jarvis Landry:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes I agree about his lack of physicality. I think he has the best tools of the bunch though.

When I compare them, Dennard is way too grabby and slower, Verret is so small too short and slight, Roby is an athlete not a football player. I really like fuller a lot. Think Baptiste is overlooked.

Gilbert could add to the kick return game too. I think he can improve on some of his coverage deficiencies but not sure about not liking to hit. That is a mindset that is not easily overcome.

Physically he seems like a Snead pick to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I agree about his lack of physicality. I think he has the best tools of the bunch though.

When I compare them, Dennard is way too grabby and slower, Verret is so small too short and slight, Roby is an athlete not a football player. I really like fuller a lot. Think Baptiste is overlooked.

Gilbert could add to the kick return game too. I think he can improve on some of his coverage deficiencies but not sure about not liking to hit. That is a mindset that is not easily overcome.

Physically he seems like a Snead pick to me.

Verrett is small but he's fearless and I love that about him. Plus, he's got football hops. Some guys have vertical in shorts, Verrett has it in pads. He can get up with bigger guys. But yes, his lack of size is the biggest negative on him. However, it also is likely why he's so smooth, quick, and has such good balance...and that's a big part of what makes him such a great cover CB.

Dennard is a pure press CB. Needs to play in a press heavy scheme. It's why he's not #1 on my board. Not scheme versatile. Verrett can play in any scheme and can play the slot or outside.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Tired of having small CB's. I would be thrilled with either Gilbert or Dennard. One of those guys should still be there @ 13

duckhunter

Starter
Verrett is small but he's fearless and I love that about him. Plus, he's got football hops. Some guys have vertical in shorts, Verrett has it in pads. He can get up with bigger guys. But yes, his lack of size is the biggest negative on him. However, it also is likely why he's so smooth, quick, and has such good balance...and that's a big part of what makes him such a great cover CB.

Dennard is a pure press CB. Needs to play in a press heavy scheme. It's why he's not #1 on my board. Not scheme versatile. Verrett can play in any scheme and can play the slot or outside.

Depends on what they're looking for.

Roger Werhle was one of the best at supporting the outside run with textbook tackling and Prime Time caught hell for his lack of physicality and drag down tackling but I'd take both in a heart beat. One of the most challenging things for a CB often is coming off a receiver 15 yards downfield and meeting a freight train squared up and head on like Werhle would. There is a knack for wrapping up a freight train at the ankles versus the knees when the freight train is wanting to punish you. Dennard is the best at run support and a little like Werhle. Gilbert is like Prime Time, particularly with his returner ability. Verrett reminds me of Daryl Green if I remember correctly.

The thing is we don't want them ending up like Finnegan did with about knocking his eyeball out of his socket and doing no one any good.

I'd take any of the three. Their gifted horses.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Tired of having small CB's. I would be thrilled with either Gilbert or Dennard. One of those guys should still be there @ 13

Janoris Jenkins listed at 5'10"
Trumaine Johnson @ 6'2"

Justin Gilbert is 6'
Darqueze Dennard is 5'11"

Don't see a huge difference.