CB Depth Chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Now that the Rams got the terrible news that E.J. Gaines is out of the season can anyone update their Depth Chart at the CB position and how you rate them at this point?

I am guessing Jenkins and Johnson will be the starters with Marcus Roberson being the main backup but how do you rate the others?

Lamarcus Joyner - Top Nickel Back?
Brandon McGee - Can this be his Breakout season?
Imoan Claiborne - Could he be the Gaines player for 2015? I won't be surprised if he not only
makes the team but also sees quite a bit of playing time this season.
Trovon Reed, Montell Garner - I admit that I don't know much about either one of these players but
they both seem to have some talent.

RamBill

Legend
Loss of E.J. Gaines creates opportunity at cornerback
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-e-j-gaines-creates-opportunity-at-cornerback

Now that the St. Louis Rams have made it official that cornerback E.J. Gaines will not play in 2015 because of a foot injury, there's a job opening at cornerback, a position that previously appeared to be well-stocked enough to keep any young contenders from breaking through to the roster.

Without Gaines, the Rams no longer have any real pressing questions about who will start and who will be the nickel corner. Trumaine Johnson steps back into his starting role on the outside opposite Janoris Jenkins ,and Lamarcus Joyner steps into the nickel corner role the team drafted him to play.

But there's a trickle down effect that could offer an opening for a young corner who has already made a strong impression in this training camp. That would be undrafted rookie Imoan Claiborne.

Claiborne was one of the prizes of the team's free-agent rookie class, receiving an $5,000 signing bonus after going undrafted despite playing in the Senior Bowl. At Northwestern (La.) State in 2014, Claiborne showed a knack for making plays on the ball, coming up with three interceptions and four fumble recoveries. NFL.com projected Claiborne as a third- or fourth-round pick.

In training camp and the preseason, Claiborne has offered glimpses of that playmaking ability. In a recent practice, Claiborne had two interceptions in a span of three plays and then picked off Oakland quarterback Derek Carr just before halftime in the preseason opener.

"He’s got ball skills and he’s been productive," coach Jeff Fisher said Friday night. "He’s got a good defensive mind and he understands things."

Of course, Claiborne's path to the roster comes with no guarantees. The Rams have Jenkins, Johnson and Joyner in place and have carried five corners in recent years. The fourth spot figures to go to second-year corner Marcus Roberson, whom the team has high hopes for moving forward, leaving a potential fifth spot up for grabs.

Brandon McGee, a fifth-round pick in 2013, remains on the roster after missing all but two games last season with a foot injury. McGee has missed most of this training camp with that injury, leaving the door open for someone like Claiborne to break through.

Given that we're talking about the fifth cornerback spot, the deciding factor could be which player offers the most on special teams. Either way, with Gaines out of the picture this year, there's now a job opening that previously didn't exist. It's up to the remaining contenders to prove deserving of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jenkins
Johnson
Joyner
Roberson
Claiborne

I'm thinking McGee could be in trouble.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Joyner is the Tavon Austin of the defense, without the flashes of talent! I think that Roberson passes him on the depth chart soon.

A55VA6

Legend
Joyner is the Tavon Austin of the defense, without the flashes of talent! I think that Roberson passes him on the depth chart soon.
Yeah.. I see the talent in Joyner but so many mistakes that lead to huge plays. We just can't have that..

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay it already started against the Raiders, but how many announcers will make the mistake by saying that Imoan Claiborne is out of Northwestern and not Northwestern State?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Could not agree more and I have a feeling DC Gregg Williams really likes Roberson, spoke highly about him and seemed to be coaching him up quite a bit on the sidelines.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Joyner scares the heck out of me. I just don't see him as an every down NFL corner. In today's NFL, that is exactly what he needs to be if he is playing the slot. Roberson is clearly better than Joyner IMO. I am also intrigued by Claiborne, and have a feeling he will shoot up the depth chart.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would not the big question be as to who will be the 5th corner....can he play the Nickle? who will that be? Roberson does not play the Nickle, nor does Johnson.

if Joyner were to go down again due to injuries who is that DB?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Marcus Roberson being the main backup but how do you rate the others?
Lamarcus Joyner - Top Nickel Back?......
If Roberson is the 3rd best cb and only works well outside (I'd think all corners should be able to play in the slot, but that's another post), they'll just kick JJ or Tru in the slot...This nickle back position...If you want your cb to blitz from the slot do it. But he should still be tight in man-to-man coverage....Joyner has 3 weeks to prove he can get'er done...

My main man McGee....when is the first cutdown date...?????

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like Roberson a lot, since the day we picked him up. Think he will be good for us.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Looks like we have a knack for finding under the radar CB prospects the last few years!!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think the loss of Gaines may make the most difference for Christian Bryant. He may end up getting some of those nickel snaps.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would not the big question be as to who will be the 5th corner....can he play the Nickle? who will that be? Roberson does not play the Nickle, nor does Johnson.

if Joyner were to go down again due to injuries who is that DB?

Gulp......mcleod?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
McGee has been a useless roster spot holder for too long. By now we know what he is capable of and its not much. Give that spot to Claiborne and see if he is the real deal.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think the loss of Gaines may make the most difference for Christian Bryant. He may end up getting some of those nickel snaps.

He'd better start gettimg more than the one special teams snap he got vs. the Raiders to have a chance.