Causes for optimism regarding Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA Rampant

UDFA
A) Goff fun fact - 56/1 red zone TD/INT ratio in 37 career starts since his 2013 true freshman campaign.

B) Football Outsiders 2016 QBASE - comps spit out for Goff vastly superior to Wentz (below article describes/explains the stats employed):
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/qbase-2016

1 - QBASE for Prospects with Wentz-like Profiles
Player Projected DYAR
Jimmy Garoppolo 560
Drew Stanton 414
Blake Bortles 373
Akili Smith 325
Carson Wentz 274
Joe Flacco 256
Andy Dalton 132
Paxton Lynch 106
Colin Kaepernick 58
Josh Freeman -17

2 - QBASE Top 10 Prospects Since 1996 (Goff cohort group)
Player Projected DYAR
Philip Rivers 1,969
Carson Palmer 1,934
Donovan McNabb 1,831
Peyton Manning 1,306
Marcus Mariota 1,302
Russell Wilson 1,246
Byron Leftwich 1,239
Ben Roethlisberger 1,227
Jared Goff 1,211
Aaron Rodgers 1,205

C) "The Dime"

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13747122

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice post man...and welcome to ROD

I just hope he's getting stronger...being able to throw accurately in the face of pressure is what he's known for....taking hits is cool...but I'm praying we protect this guy....
late edit

I found this interesting.
To come up with NFL projections for this year's top quarterback prospects, QBASE looks at college performance, experience, and expected draft position. The last of these is included to account for the scouting information that college stats miss. To allow some time for development, QBASE projects a quarterback's passing efficiency in the third, fourth, and fifth year of his career according to our measure, Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement (DYAR). Note that rushing value is not part of this projection. 50,000 simulations produce a range of potential outcomes for each prospect.

QBASE favors quarterbacks expected to go high in the draft who also have a relatively long resume of college success according to the stats. Those stats include completion percentage, yards per attempt, and team passing efficiency. Most importantly, all those stats are adjusted both for the quality of the defenses that a prospect had to face as well as the quality of his offensive teammates.
So if you haven't started too long, possibly unknown, and are a running QB you probably don't score too high on this list. Correct? @LA Rampant

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I just hope he's getting stronger...being able to throw accurately in the face of pressure is what he's known for....taking hits is cool...but I'm praying we protect this guy....
late edit

I found this interesting.
So if you haven't started too long, possibly unknown, and are a running QB you probably don't score too high on this list. Correct? @LA Rampant

Part of the problem is NCAA counts sacks against the QB's rushing yards so you'd have to go back by game and modify their rushing stats. Can be done but they're probably too lazy to do it but your point is valid the runners take a negative hit. That said there are some good running/mobile QB's in the Goff group, as many as are in the Wentz group.

LA Rampant

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks.

Goff has gained 10 lbs. a year since high school, so I fully expect him to be playing at 225-230 lbs. in a year or two. Plus sensing the rush, a Marino-esque crab-like shuffle to avoid it, an Intel quad-core processor, being decisive, quickest release in the class and the ability to throw WRs open with anticipation all bode well.

Injuries have prevented OL cohesion in recent years, but at least the 2015 draft greatly enhanced depth as well as starters.

Robinson - I read in the last five games he gave up no sacks and had no penalties (coinciding with the insertion of Reynolds at starting LG as a stabilizing presence in his development)? And the reports from Bentley's OL academy are encouraging.
Saffold - If he can stay healthy (you could fill the Hollywood Bowl with all the question marks), flashed Pro Bowl potential on the inside the last time that was the case in 2013.
Barnes - Is what he is, incremental improvement later in the season, guy we may always be looking to improve on (can't have 22 All-Pros on offense and defense) and/or need to scheme around.
Brown - Intriguing combo of power and athleticism (for a big man), I thought he looked like a keeper before the injury.
Havenstein - Reminiscent of former Fisher RT Jon Runyan (6'7", 330 lbs. - the second year Wisconsin Man Mountain was listed at 6'8", 320 lbs.). A dancing bear mauler who may not be very graceful or sexy, but gets the job done with smarts, technique, awareness, urgency, positioning, balance and sheer LENGTH - hard to counter inside, and speed rushers trying to get outside him is like trying to drive from LA to Vegas when the 15 HWY is blocked. :) I also think I read his combined number of sacks/penalties = 0 (he didn't make the All Rookie team for nothing).

Reynolds probably outplayed Saffold at LG, Wichmann also showed promise as an interior OL, and rookies Battle and Donnal (among others) provide depth on the outside. On paper, the combo of starting talent, back up depth and youth on the OL is as good as it has been in many years, imo.

* This is a MASSIVE OL, with the potential to comprise one of the most dominant smash mouth run blocking units in the game, yet with the aggregate feet, requisite movement skills and athleticism to pass block. Something I haven't always seen noted in this context, Goff could/should/will be instrumental and play an integral role in an all important component of the intention to dial up rushing frequency in the future (where opposing defenses will than be in OUR world - a world of withering, relentless pain! :) ) - getting a first half lead. Greater accuracy should lead directly to better down and distance situations, third down conversion rates, sustained drives, red zone opps and scoring (specifically TDs).

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The thing I like the most about him, is how quickly he processes the field.
He goes through his reads, like a rattlesnake ready to strike any open receiver (or slightly open).
Even more amazing, is he continually does it with pressure in his face.

As soon as he gets an NFL offense down, Goff is going to be hard to beat.

LA Rampant

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
More than just about any other example in the contemporary NFL QB-scape, his combo of smarts, short area feet quickness and agility, vision and instincts, whole field parallel processing translated into virtually instantaneous decisiveness and lightning quick release, arm strength coupled with the ability to throw all over the field with touch and accuracy, and as noted/alluded to above, the critically important physical toughness and courage to stare down the gun barrel in the face of the rush and maintain the mature beyond his years, zen master-like unflappability and total concentration on his downfield targets, he is strongly reminiscent to me of fellow Cal alumni, Aaron Rodgers.
372ce468ab21c6ce6122a4d82bc9e8a0.jpg

San+Diego+State+v+California+lfo5HGLcveDl.jpg

Argoff Panoptes is a 100-eyed monster that sees everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_Panoptes
b76ea00455b46e7f7d810777236ae009.jpg

argus_panoptes_by_qetza-d5jupqw.jpg

Last edited: