Caught a BIG ONE on Father's Day...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Spent my Father's Day fishing with my 3 sons. I would have had fun even if we didn't catch anything... cause there's no wifi or phone service once you get about 10 miles off shore. We were over 50 miles out. They had to spend quality time with me like it or not. LOL

Check out what we caught. This Cobia is 60 lbs. Tasted like a dream too.

This is @Ramrasta holding the beast....

unnamed_11.jpg

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Holy shit. That things almost as big as him. Good snag.

That's pretty dark compared to the Cobia I caught in the Keys. Do they have different shades for region/seasons/size, or is it just lighting? Mine was a light brownish color. I'll post a pic tomorrow from my phone. Definitely doesn't compare to that monster. Was only about 25 lbs, but holy shit do they taste good.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Holy crap. That things almost as big as him. Good snag.

That's pretty dark compared to the Cobia I caught in the Keys. Do they have different shades for region/seasons/size, or is it just lighting? Mine was a light brownish color. I'll post a pic tomorrow from my phone. Definitely doesn't compare to that monster. Was only about 25 lbs, but holy crap do they taste good.

They can vary in darkness. They all look like sharks in the water though.

It makes sense that the one you caught down in the crystal clear water of the Keys would be lighter in color.

That is a big one in the pic... Ramrasta is 6'1".

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Oh man, that is AWESOME!! Got any other pics of your boat you can share?

fearsomefour

Legend
Awesome.
My son was in the bay area playing baseball....I received the following text....
"Happy Fathers Day!! Love you! Can you put like $40 on my card please?"
haha in some ways the perfect fathers day message.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
so you smoking it or grilling it?

No need to smoke cobia. It's just so tasty. We had some raw yesterday once it was iced down and grilled some when we got home.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
nice, and nice pun :D

Hahaha

Must have been my subconscious mind.

The only fish that I ever smoke are King Mackerel and Sailfish. They make great fish dip after being smoked... hard to enjoy the taste of those if they're not smoked.

iced

Hahaha

Must have been my subconscious mind.

The only fish that I ever smoke are King Mackerel and Sailfish. They make great fish dip after being smoked... hard to enjoy the taste of those if they're not smoked.

I've been debating on smoking Salmon for a fish dip... Although i may go fishing for the first time in ages with my sister's brother in law - think he said they go after snook and somethin else that escapes my mind right now...

sadly the best fish dip I ever had was at a restaurant after my buddy's funeral - think it was salmon based, but god that was amazing

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've been debating on smoking Salmon for a fish dip... Although i may go fishing for the first time in ages with my sister's brother in law - think he said they go after snook and somethin else that escapes my mind right now...

sadly the best fish dip I ever had was at a restaurant after my buddy's funeral - think it was salmon based, but god that was amazing

Snook is some of the finest tasting fish around... don't smoke that. If they're catching snook, they're probably also catching trout and redfish. Snook are the shit.

Never made smoked salmon, but I bet it would be good... not sure though.

iced

Snook is some of the finest tasting fish around... don't smoke that. If they're catching snook, they're probably also catching trout and redfish. Snook are the crap.

Never made smoked salmon, but I bet it would be good... not sure though.

yea red fish..

oh i smoked some salmon - its amazing.. i think i posted some in the bbq/smoker thread we had going

Garlic Salt, Parsley, Smokehouse maple Seasoning, coat of maple syrup (probably do this before seasonings), an hour before finish or half way another coat

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I've hot smoked salmon with hickory and I think it would be better with a lighter smoke like pecan! It was good but smoky flavored!

iced

I've hot smoked salmon with hickory and I think it would be better with a lighter smoke like pecan! It was good but smoky flavored!

I think Cherry yields some of the best flavors, especially for fish

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A word about salmon, which is my favorite just ahead of walleye and the elusive vajayfish.

I've cooked it many ways, and it's the sushi I prefer when I am out having that. I love salmon, and have had many varieties and loved them all.

Always skin it. Always. Otherwise the flavor of the meat will be different from what it should be. Maybe some people like that, I don't because it interferes with whatever you are putting on it to enhance the flavor. There is a layer of fat between the skin and the meat that makes the meat a little greasier than it should be and I don't like that.

Smoke that fish any way you want to, it'll come out great. It might be the best fish for smoking that you can have. Plain, with different chips, different rubs, any way you want. It holds up in the smoker like a chicken!

At least once in your life slice it into one inch thick strips, like sushi but thicker, and steam it in a veggie steamer. No oil, no nothing. Just the steam and the meat. It's melt in your mouth delicious. Just lay it out and let it cook for a minute or so, covered of course. Man the flavor is great. If you've ever had quick seared tuna it's like that but even cleaner with more flavor.

@Selassie I how many pounds of meat did you get out of that thing and go get some salmon and smoke that shit it's delicious

iced

A word about salmon, which is my favorite just ahead of walleye and the elusive vajayfish.

I've cooked it many ways, and it's the sushi I prefer when I am out having that. I love salmon, and have had many varieties and loved them all.

Always skin it. Always. Otherwise the flavor of the meat will be different from what it should be. Maybe some people like that, I don't because it interferes with whatever you are putting on it to enhance the flavor. There is a layer of fat between the skin and the meat that makes the meat a little greasier than it should be and I don't like that.

Smoke that fish any way you want to, it'll come out great. It might be the best fish for smoking that you can have. Plain, with different chips, different rubs, any way you want. It holds up in the smoker like a chicken!

At least once in your life slice it into one inch thick strips, like sushi but thicker, and steam it in a veggie steamer. No oil, no nothing. Just the steam and the meat. It's melt in your mouth delicious. Just lay it out and let it cook for a minute or so, covered of course. Man the flavor is great. If you've ever had quick seared tuna it's like that but even cleaner with more flavor.

@Selassie I how many pounds of meat did you get out of that thing and go get some salmon and smoke that crap it's delicious

I probably should have mentioned the salmon i smoked was skinned on both sides, @Selassie I