Catching Up with Kevin Carter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Julia Faron
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...n-Carter/9ad02b9e-2fac-4cdf-8b69-878da309387a

We caught up with former Rams defensive end to discuss his current role with ESPNU, his desire to make an impact in the community, and the opportunity to represent the team at the 2014 NFL Draft.

kl4tg1lg2952a7zfg.jpg

Professional athletes are often admired by their fans in an almost hero-like fashion. Blend that idea with the saying, ‘To much is given, much is expected,’ and somewhere along those lines you will find Kevin Carter. Carter – an admitted Superman buff - never missed a game in his 14-year NFL career, racked up 108.5 career sacks, two Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl ring. The ability to withstand the physicality of pro football for 233 consecutive games – alone – could quantify as Superman-like abilities. But, building on that ability, Carter also welcomed the civic responsibility that comes along with being in the public eye and used it to better his community.

“I’m using the platform that I’ve worked so hard to achieve and also been blessed with, to do something good,” said Carter. “A lot of people think that once they achieve a certain level of stardom, it’s just okay for them to enjoy their life. And obviously, we’re meant to enjoy our lives and be happy, but there’s so much good that we can do in the community.”

Carter grew up in a civic-minded household in Tallahassee, Florida, so he credits his desire to make a positive impact on his community to his parents who were very active in their church and other philanthropic efforts. His commitment to community outreach started at home in adolescence and the ability to make a stronger impact grew as he progressed in football.

“When I got to the NFL, it seemed like a natural fit because I had the platform and all I needed was the structure and that structure came with forming my own foundation and being able to accept donations, solicit businesses and partners in the community to help do good in the community that I was living in,” said Carter.

One of Carter’s signature events, Waiting for Wishes, is hosted annually in Nashville to benefit the Middle Tennessee State chapter of the Make-A-Wish foundation. For the past eight years, Carter has co-hosted the event with Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts and it has grown to become one of the premiere celebrity events in the area. In the past 12 years the event has raised over $1.5 million for the cause.

Carter and his wife, Shima, started the Kevin Carter Foundation in 2002, which is dedicated to enriching the lives of children through character development. He also set up an endowment fund at his alma mater, The University of Florida, which provides scholarships to deserving college athletes.

Outside of his community efforts, Carter has transitioned to broadcasting as a college football analyst on ESPNU.

“It has really been a dream come true,” said Carter. “It’s stimulating in a way that I really can’t describe. I spend all my extra time reading about players and coaches and match-ups and conferences and educating myself on the things that I don’t know.”

You can catch Carter on ESPNU and the SEC Network as a college football studio analyst on shows such as The Whiparound and the halftime report. In the meantime, you will also find Carter on another prime time show, The 2014 NFL Draft in New York City, announcing the Rams’ second round pick.

“I’m humbled and privileged just to be able to be considered for such a task,” said Carter. “It’s hard to believe that it’s been almost 20 years since the Rams drafted me and I was a rookie in St. Louis."

“I’m honored to represent the team that drafted me and represent Coach Fisher who is one of my favorite people, favorite coaches as well. I had the honor of playing for him in Tennessee. To me, it’s one of those things that comes full circle as far as your achievements in life and what greater way to celebrate the life that I had and the things that I was able to achieve with a very special group of men than to come back and have such a prestigious honor."

A key piece in the Rams’ Super Bowl run in 1999, Carter set the then franchise record for most sacks in a single season (17) that year. A record that held strong until it was snatched up by current Rams’ defensive end Robert Quinn this past season when he tallied 19 sacks. During that particular game when Quinn clinched the record, Carter received a text message from his old teammate, D’Marco Farr, who was doing the Rams’ radio broadcast.

“I didn’t know that I had the record,’ Carter said. “That day, D’Marco was doing the broadcast and he sends me a text, ‘Robert Quinn is getting ready to break your sack record,’ and I texted him back and he started telling me what’s going on. It was sort of funny. It’s one of those things that reminds you of past achievements that are to be celebrated and that are really fond memories.”

Continuing the trip down memory lane, Carter also talked about some of his most vivid memories of his Rams days. The Saturday before the Rams hosted the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the NFC Championship game in ‘99, Howie Long and Marcus Allen attended the team’s walk-thru. The two broadcasters were invited by Coach Vermeil to speak to the team to offer some words of encouragement. Long pulled Carter to the side personally as they left the field to offer some words of wisdom that have stuck with Carter, especially as he reflects on his career and the significance of the events that followed that moment.

One of the things that he told me, he said, ‘Look, I played (13 years) and he says you know, I thought for sure that the team that I went to the Super Bowl with when I was a young player, I thought for sure, we have so much talent, we’ll be back. I’ll be back in this big game again. I was fortunate to go out there and win it because I never went back in all the years that I played. Take this opportunity; don’t let it pass you by. Go out there and make a memory. Make a memory in this game.”

That memory didn’t stop with football because when Carter got home from walk-thru that day, his wife delivered some life-changing news as well.

“That day was a very special memory because I found out that I was going to be a father,” said Carter. “I got some great words from Howie Long and Marcus Allen, and (the next day) I found out that we were going to go to the Super Bowl.”

We all know that Carter and the Rams did win the Lombardi trophy that year, but that would be his only appearance in the big game in his 14 year career.

“I went on to play eight more years after being in St. Louis, but those are some of the best days of my life,” said Carter.

Carter and his wife reside in Tampa, Fla., with their 13-year old son Zion. After representing the team at the Draft this May, they hope to make a trip back to St. Louis and attend a Rams’ home game this season.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
You wan't out of the game with 26 seconds to go!? You want out of the game with 26 seconds to go !? Jesus!

That's what I'll always remember about K. Carter. Even though I know they were exhausted and gave it their all including making it back on the field for the next play anyway.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Good Article. I love me some Kevin Carter. I love listening him and D'Marco on air together and how coach Vermeil was yelling at him and Carter wanting to come off the field lol

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
You wan't out of the game with 26 seconds to go!? You want out of the game with 26 seconds to go !? Jesus!

That's what I'll always remember about K. Carter. Even though I know they were exhausted and gave it their all including making it back on the field for the next play anyway.
Yep was great! lol you thinking same thing