Casserly on Goff's improvement

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
anyone wanna give a recap?

Casserly:
Looks far better in terms of command of the offense, reading the field, spotting blitzes, and hitting the hot receiver than he did in the preseason; thinks that gives you a lot of hope
Thinks he's in the wrong system; should be in a quick temp short passing offense but says he's concerned Goff lacks the accuracy for it at this point
Rams are giving him absolutely no help; tackles can't pass blocks, guards can't run block; wide receivers can't catch the ball

Wyche:
Agrees that Goff looks like he's made major strides mentally
Agrees that the Rams are giving him absolutely no help; remarks that the Rams play-calling is terrible; refuse to run Gurley on consecutive plays, don't use one play to setup the next (no rhythm), and put Goff in terrible situations (like 3rd and long)
Thinks the next coach should be excited with what he has to work with

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff needs to work those accuracy issues, no doubt, but it's hard to hold it against him when he's trying to settle in behind such a $h!# line. I want to say they need to run the ball at a 60% clip, but they can't, not behind that OL, without putting the kid into more 3rd and longs and thus more danger.

It's a tough deal man. At this point the best answer is to open it up with 4 wide (one being a TE, thus using 11 personnel with Higbee as a primary receiver basically) and have him dish that thing quicker. It will put more pressure on him, but that's our best bet right now. Then try to get to where they can run that thing more often into favorable boxes.

jap

Legend
They need to heavily tweak the OL to make it Goff/Gurley friendly. We cannot very well have our two offensive blue chippers being handcuffed by ineffective body guards. Where is Hudson Houck when you need him? If Tavon can be successfully accommodated within an effective offensive scheme, then make him an integral part of the playbook. Still, we need some tough receivers with flypaper hands---all this dropping balls stuff is bush league!

Jared's accuracy was impressive in college. However, like any QB prospect, it has to be refined at the pro level. The wide open windows of the collegiate world has become much narrower in the NFL. The defenders are faster, quicker, stronger, and much smarter. Jared will have to upgrade his entire skill set as much as possible to offset all this.

I am not quite sure what Gurley's situation is. I saw where he admitted early this year it was his intention to lose weight---supposedly to enhance his speed & quickness. However, I do not know whether he was working with team personnel or NFL savvy trainers to do this. It seems to me that NFL trainers tend to seek to establish an optimal balance point between weight/strength, speed, & quickness. I wonder if Todd lost too much weight/strength in the process. It's even hard to gauge his resultant speed/quickness advantage since he really did not have much explosive plays this season. If he did all this on his own, he might want to rethink that strategy for 2017. After all, the goal is for the Horns to take over the world with a dominant running & passing game.

FRO

Legend
When watching Goff in college his accuracy was one of the things that won me over. Now he seems to be off target a lot. Even in the completed passes. I have no clue why this is. Anybody have a theory?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
When watching Goff in college his accuracy was one of the things that won me over. Now he seems to be off target a lot. Even in the completed passes. I have no clue why this is. Anybody have a theory?
Get a football and a garbage can. Go stand directly behind a tree and place the garbage can about 10 yards from you. Try to hit the can while throwing from behind the tree.

That's essentially what Goff is dealing with.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Adjusting to the speed of the game that's it in a nutshell, also I'm anxious to see a new coaching staff working with him somebody that has a clue for game plans and mechanics. You have to trust yourself and his accuracy is off because he's not trusting his reads and sometimes you just miss a throw unfortunately the one to Quick was just a miss.

fearsomefour

Legend
Speed of the game.
The O line issues leads to him moving when he may not have had to before, inconsistent feet.
Some throws don't look great but are. Late in the Seatte game there was a throw to Thomas (I think) in a cross vs a zone. Thomas had to reach back for the ball. Thomas was running into coverage instead of setting down in the open zone. Goff threw it to the open zone. So, the pass did not look accurate but was. He saved his receiver from a big hit or an incompletion.
There was another pass to Britt where Britt turned outside and Goff three inside. That'll happen. Some other throws he just flat out misses.
It's a mix of things and I expect him to improve. Less drops would help as well.

FRO

Legend
Speed of the game.
The O line issues leads to him moving when he may not have had to before, inconsistent feet.
Some throws don't look great but are. Late in the Seatte game there was a throw to Thomas (I think) in a cross vs a zone. Thomas had to reach back for the ball. Thomas was running into coverage instead of setting down in the open zone. Goff threw it to the open zone. So, the pass did not look accurate but was. He saved his receiver from a big hit or an incompletion.
There was another pass to Britt where Britt turned outside and Goff three inside. That'll happen. Some other throws he just flat out misses.
It's a mix of things and I expect him to improve. Less drops would help as well.
I noticed those same plays. They clearly weren't the QBs fault. There are other plays where Goff is just plain inaccurate. I'm sure it's the speed of the game.

TexasRam

Legend
All starts up front. We literally cannot run the ball. That puts it all on the pass game and then the oline struggles there combined with drop balls. Goff is not at fault.

We must go into free agency and bring in some big time oline help as we have no early draft picks.

FRO

Legend
All starts up front. We literally cannot run the ball. That puts it all on the pass game and then the oline struggles there combined with drop balls. Goff is not at fault.

We must go into free agency and bring in some big time oline help as we have no early draft picks.
I agree with bringing in linemen, but who? The free agency list isn't overwhelming.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The bottom line is, Casserly is right, Goff should Sue his Offensive Line and WR's for Non-Support!! Fix those areas and Goff will be 10000% Better!!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
That throw to Britt though. He threw him open with Sherman draped all over him, no window.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Get a football and a garbage can. Go stand directly behind a tree and place the garbage can about 10 yards from you. Try to hit the can while throwing from behind the tree.

That's essentially what Goff is dealing with.

So, tried that and hit the can once. I also only got it in the can 6 times. It's harder than I thought. I used a smaller can so maybe I'll try it with a regular sized one.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So, tried that and hit the can once. I also only got it in the can 6 times. It's harder than I thought. I used a smaller can so maybe I'll try it with a regular sized one.
Now just imagine if the tree tackled you to the ground lol

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Now if you could get the tree to repeatedly fall on you, then you would have the Jared Goff experience in a virtual reality game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's a combination of a lot of factors. The short and simple version is that he's a rookie. If you want the longer more drawn out version:
1. His footwork is a little off because the speed of the game is still new to him, so he's rushing throws at times
2. He's still improving in terms of making reads and moving through progression, so he's a little late with throws at times
3. He's adjusting to WRs and TEs he hasn't had a lot of game experience with
4. Guys at this level are faster and more athletic
5. Accuracy regresses when a QB is under pressure

I can go on, but the gist of it is that it's a combination of him being a rookie and not receiving adequate protection.