Casserly: "I rate Watkins ahead of Julio Jones"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
you could turn that around and say the same thing about OTs, some here think it Robinson or Mathews or the draft is a bust, so I guess any other OT sucks?

Well, I don't recall anybody writing that if the Rams don't take Matthews/Robinson then they don't want the Rams to draft any tackles because the rest are all a bunch of sissy-maries (or whatever insult you prefer).

Maybe I missed it.

tonyl711

Starter
If you'd like my opinion, I think the other LT prospects in this draft aren't particularly appealing...at least in that they don't have the same ability of those two to play OG and then take over at LT in the future. Their maybe a guy that surprises in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th or later. But as it stands right now, beyond Robinson and Matthews, I see either guys that might stick at LT but can't play OG or guys that can't play LT. Or guys that I just plain don't want. ;)
just saying, everyone has a favorite who they put ahead of all others, RFIP saying he wouldn't want any other WR other than SW is like you saying you wouldn't want any other OT than Robinson or Mathews, just means you think that player is that much better than the rest, its all opinion.

tonyl711

Starter
Well, I don't recall anybody writing that if the Rams don't take Matthews/Robinson then they don't want the Rams to draft any tackles because the rest are all a bunch of sissy-maries (or whatever insult you prefer).

Maybe I missed it.
maybe you did, if you haven't heard people saying that if we don't take one of the 2 top OTs we will be settleing for inferior talent then I don't know why.

I haven't thrown an insult at anyone, when I said they must suck it was in reference to someone else saying that RFIP thinks any WR besides SW should all realize they suck since he wouldn't take any of them, something he didn't say by the way.

maybe you did, if you haven't heard people saying that if we don't take one of the 2 top OTs we will be settleing for inferior talent then I don't know why.

I haven't thrown an insult at anyone, when I said they must suck it was in reference to someone else saying that RFIP thinks any WR besides SW should all realize they suck since he wouldn't take any of them, something he didn't say by the way.

His exact words:

AND I do not pick any other wr in the draft because we have cornered the market on guys who can't play, aren't players, or like like Tarzan and play like Jane.

Not sure what part of that isn't saying they suck?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I wasn't trying to quote anybody with my post, so if you're trying to say that I was you are absolutely wrong. The sentiment seems to be spot on though.

Also, do you really believe it's the same thing to say that not drafting a certain player is settling for an "inferior talent" vs. no one else should be drafted at a position because other players aren't players, can't play, or play like jane (whatever that means exactly)?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
just saying, everyone has a favorite who they put ahead of all others, RFIP saying he wouldn't want any other WR other than SW is like you saying you wouldn't want any other OT than Robinson or Mathews, just means you think that player is that much better than the rest, its all opinion.

I think the difference here is that he is not just saying he wouldn't want any other WR. He's been saying that for the Rams to take any other player regardless of position would be demonstrating their lack of understanding offense, blah blah blah.

I think there is a huge difference. Especially since most acknowledge there's Watkins, MAYBE Evans, and then the rest. Most of us recognize Watkins as the cream of the WR class for this draft. That doesn't mean he is the obvious only choice for the Rams and to do otherwise would show that they don't know anything.

It's the level of commitment to ONE player over the entire regime that is astounding.

tonyl711

Starter
I think the difference here is that he is not just saying he wouldn't want any other WR. He's been saying that for the Rams to take any other player regardless of position would be demonstrating their lack of understanding offense, blah blah blah.

I think there is a huge difference. Especially since most acknowledge there's Watkins, MAYBE Evans, and then the rest. Most of us recognize Watkins as the cream of the WR class for this draft. That doesn't mean he is the obvious only choice for the Rams and to do otherwise would show that they don't know anything.

It's the level of commitment to ONE player over the entire regime that is astounding.
I understand what you are saying, but how many on here have said not taking an OT with the second pick would show the same? RFIP has his opinion, and while I agree he does voice his opinion on SW a bit much, it doesn't mean that everyone should pile on on him over it, remember attack the post not the poster.

im really not trying to start anything here, just felt RFIP was taking a lot of heat for nothing. me personally, I have my favorite, but wouldn't be mad no matter who the Rams pick at #2 since no matter what they will get a blue chip player.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I understand what you are saying, but how many on here have said not taking an OT with the second pick would show the same? RFIP has his opinion, and while I agree he does voice his opinion on SW a bit much, it doesn't mean that everyone should pile on on him over it, remember attack the post not the poster.

im really not trying to start anything here, just felt RFIP was taking a lot of heat for nothing. me personally, I have my favorite, but wouldn't be mad no matter who the Rams pick at #2 since no matter what they will get a blue chip player.

Maybe you can show that. I haven't seen it here - not once. Your last statement is more in keeping with what I have seen from the majority here. We have our favorites or what we feel the Rams need to address. For me it is the O-line. But you're not going to see me acting like I know better than Fish and company if they don't agree. You won't see me acting like I have anywhere near the insight and information that Fish and Snead have at their disposal. You won't see me put one player on such a pedestal that to not take him would render our staff incapable of understanding an NFL offense.

I agree with attacking the post and not the poster. But there are a few problems here. 1) RFIP was saying posters were saying something they clearly were not. 2) The post and poster are very difficult to extricate from each other being that there only seems to be one subject to both of them 3) It's virtually impossible to attack a post that includes this kind of mindset without attacking the poster as well. I apologized for using derogatory terms when referring to RFIP's posting about SW but I will continue to defend posters on here when someone asserts something false and I will continue to defend the football acumen of this regime over the brilliance of a poster on an internet forum.

Players look good to us from what we've seen. But we are not seeing everything this regime is looking at. Did the player say something during the interview that sent up red flags? Did the player show something during his Pro Day that simply didn't mesh with our game plan and yet may play right into the scheme of another team? Did another player show something more or demonstrate a better understanding that might mean he is starting caliber from day one when another might take more time? Did Watkins remind them of what they saw in Givens and Robinson remind them of O. Pace? Maybe Watkins IS that must have in their eyes. There is just so much about these players that we simply CANNOT know.

Acting like you know for a fact that a player is the only real choice is ridiculous for anyone mashing the keys on their computer. And it's not something I've seen done by others here. Strong opinions about players? Sure. That's generally as far as it goes.

Alan

Legend
I haven't looked in on this thread recently but are we really at the arguing about arguing stage? :eek:
images

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Julio Jones 174 2,737 20
Brian Quick
29 458 4

I would choose Jones over Watkins It's my opinion and that's it. RFIP brought in the silly Quick comparison, He loves Watkins, I am a fan of Watkins as well. Jones has already proven to be a top NFL receiver Watkins hasn't made a roster yet. Here are quick and Jones stats in case for some reason someone is realistically comparing Quick and Jones

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
You do understand the comment was "can't teach size" right?
NO, the comment was give me Jones. one of my many reasons was Can't teach size. this has gotten silly to me. I get your passion for Watkins but I am not entertaining this silliness any longer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I saw the video in the OP, and I respect Casserly's opinion a great deal. If, at the same point in their collegiate careers, Casserly would take Watkins over Jones, then who is anyone to say he's right or wrong? It's completely a matter of preference and the (impossible) ability to see into the future. I'd prefer to have someone like Jones on this team, particularly when you take into account the physicality of the corners in this division. I like Watkins a lot, and think he'll be a great receiver if he lands on a team with a talented QB (and an O-line that gives said QB the ability to find him), but I don't know that I'd take him over Jones if they were both coming out right now.

And the most egregious oversight in this whole thread is the debate nobody is discussing. I mean, it was right there in the beginning of the video, and everyone seems to be just glossing right over it. For me, it's easy. Cheeseburger all day long and twice on Sunday.

2nAABI9.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And the most egregious oversight in this whole thread is the debate nobody is discussing. I mean, it was right there in the beginning of the video, and everyone seems to be just glossing right over it. For me, it's easy. Cheeseburger all day long and twice on Sunday.

2nAABI9.jpg
What? No love for the bacon?

RamsFan14

Starter
Maybe I'm nuts -X-, but if Julio Jones turned out to be a bust in the NFL, think a lot of ppl would be saying "WATKINS IS A BETTER PROSPECT THEN JONES WAS blah blah blah." Not everyone would say that of course, but some I really believe would say that. My point is we should compare the two when they were in college. Using Jones' NFL experience doesn't bold for a fair argument, of course he's better then Watkins RIGHT NOW. Prospect wise, it might be close.