Casserly: "I rate Watkins ahead of Julio Jones"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
11 Sammy Watkins hits the light switch and is in bed before the room gets dark.

14. Sammy Watkins sold his soul to the devil for his great hands and superhuman speed. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Sammy challenged Satan to a footrace and beat him running backwards. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every Wednesday night.

15. They once made a Sammy Watkins toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody

16. Sammy Watkins is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, he ate the Indian.

17. Sammy Watkins once ate an entire ream of rice paper and shat out origami swans and Mister Miyagi from The Karate Kid.

18. Sammy Watkins made Ellen Degeneres straight.

19. Sammy Watkins is what Willis was talking about.

20. When Sammy Watkins had surgery, the anesthesia was applied to the doctors.

21. Sammy Watkins is so fast that he once broke the land speed record on a bicycle that was missing its chain and the back tire.

22. Sammy Watkins drinks napalm to ease his heartburn.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
When he catches balls as he is leaping or when he is a full-out run 40 yards down the field I have seen him not break stride--that was shockingly good to me. WHen I saw Julio on film I saw a lot of screens, (like Sammy) and a lot of 7-11 yard routes. Julio's route running didn't look like Sammy's---of course I only watch a few films on them. Will Sammy be at 1,300 yards in year 3 in the NFL---I think so...Juilio is probably better....but there is something special about Sammy to make things happen.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
14. Sammy Watkins sold his soul to the devil for his great hands and superhuman speed. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Sammy challenged Satan to a footrace and beat him running backwards. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every Wednesday night.

15. They once made a Sammy Watkins toilet paper, but it wouldn't take crap from anybody

16. Sammy Watkins is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, he ate the Indian.

17. Sammy Watkins once ate an entire ream of rice paper and shat out origami swans and Mister Miyagi from The Karate Kid.

18. Sammy Watkins made Ellen Degeneres straight.

19. Sammy Watkins is what Willis was talking about.

20. When Sammy Watkins had surgery, the anesthesia was applied to the doctors.

21. Sammy Watkins is so fast that he once broke the land speed record on a bicycle that was missing its chain and the back tire.

22. Sammy Watkins drinks napalm to ease his heartburn.

OK, 18 and 19 made me spew! Too damn funny!
We need the DOS XX dude involved in this somehow.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yes, yes, these kids all look like superstars playing in college, funny how most "come down to earth" when they make the pro ranks.

Just sayin.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

Mila-kunis-laughing.gif

Funny Shit right there

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Taller? Yes.

Faster? Only if you use the combine and not game speed.

Tougher? Heck no.

Better run after catch? Nope.

Jones was a stud, no doubt. As is Watkins. But because Watkins isn't the same height he gets dinged, but he plays taller and has a big catch radius not to mention his ability to adjust to balls behind him or at his feet.

Going to be interesting.

Taller? Yes.
Stronger? Yes.
Tougher? Yes.
Better run after catch ability? Yes.
More physical? Yes.
Better at high-pointing the ball? Yes.
Better hands? No.(Watkins's hands are more consistent so I give him the edge even though Julio can make more spectacular catches)

Julio Jones was the better and more talented prospect.

As far as Watkins "playing taller", not in a million years. Nor does he have the catch radius Julio has.

And don't even get me started on run after catch skills. Julio Jones finished 7th in YAC Average in 2012. He was on pace to finish first in broken tackles for a WR in 2013 before being injured. And was on pace again to finish 7th in YAC Average in 2013 before being hurt.

Oh yea, did I mention that Julio finished FIRST in the NFL in YAC Average as a rookie in 2011?

Julio Jones is a top 5 WR in the NFL in run after catch ability. Sammy Watkins is better than him at it? Nah.

Julio is doing stuff like this in the NFL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all what I'm saying.

What I AM saying is the Rams are at a point where they can no longer wait years for a wr to FINALLY develope and Watkins IMO is the ONLY plug and play wr in this draft.

Watkins isn't even one of the top 5 WRs in this draft in terms of being most pro ready/polished.

RamsFan14

Starter
Taller? Yes.
Stronger? Yes.
Tougher? Yes.
Better run after catch ability? Yes.
More physical? Yes.
Better at high-pointing the ball? Yes.
Better hands? No.(Watkins's hands are more consistent so I give him the edge even though Julio can make more spectacular catches)

Julio Jones was the better and more talented prospect.

As far as Watkins "playing taller", not in a million years. Nor does he have the catch radius Julio has.

And don't even get me started on run after catch skills. Julio Jones finished 7th in YAC Average in 2012. He was on pace to finish first in broken tackles for a WR in 2013 before being injured. And was on pace again to finish 7th in YAC Average in 2013 before being hurt.

Oh yea, did I mention that Julio finished FIRST in the NFL in YAC Average as a rookie in 2011?

Julio Jones is a top 5 WR in the NFL in run after catch ability. Sammy Watkins is better than him at it? Nah.

Julio is doing stuff like this in the NFL:

Why are we comparing the NFL Julio Jones? Shouldn't we talking about the COLLEGE Julio Jones? Not sure putting up NFL highlights of Julio Jones is fair to Watkins, obviously Julio Jones is better then Watkins in that sense. We should be comparing both of them as prospects, meaning we should be taking info from Jones from the time he was drafted, not when he's had time to develop with some great playmakers over the years. Julio Jones might very well be a better prospect in college then Watkins is, but I'm not going to dictate that based on what he's done in the NFL. Watkins hasn't done jack in the NFL, so obviously this is going to favor Jones.

Not saying Jones didn't do what you're showing with the videos in college, but let's compare Julio Jones college tape to Watkins college tape. That's a much more fair comparison then whatever NFL highlights show imo.

iced

Why are we comparing the NFL Julio Jones? Shouldn't we talking about the COLLEGE Julio Jones? Not sure putting up NFL highlights of Julio Jones is fair to Watkins, obviously Julio Jones is better then Watkins in that sense. We should be comparing both of them as prospects, meaning we should be taking info from Jones from the time he was drafted, not when he's had time to develop with some great playmakers over the years. Julio Jones might very well be a better prospect in college then Watkins is, but I'm not going to dictate that based on what he's done in the NFL. Watkins hasn't done jack in the NFL, so obviously this is going to favor Jones.

Not saying Jones didn't do what you're showing with the videos in college, but let's compare Julio Jones college tape to Watkins college tape. That's a much more fair comparison then whatever NFL highlights show imo.

He did the same thing with Mike Evans and Calvin Johnson. To each his own

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd agree with your point if Jones wasn't incredibly highly regarded out of college. We knew this is what Jones could do coming out of college. It just so happens to be much easier to find plays through NFL Video than trying to find individual college plays.

This is who Jones was as a prospect. It's not like I showed the guy running incredible routes or anything. I showed his explosiveness/speed, his hands, his ability to attack the ball, and his overall freakish athleticism.

RamsFan14

Starter
^^I understand, I think comparing college prospects to NFL can be done, but we always have to remember that college prospects are usually never the same as NFL players.

And the videos do show that, so that's a fair point jrry32. But what about Watkins is my question? What can he do with a great QB? If he had Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez as mentors, you think Watkins would benefit from that? Answer is we don't know (we'd think yes, but prospects can end up busting when you least expect it). Maybe Watkins is MUCH better then we expect? Or he's worse? I get the point of the NFL videos, but to me comparing a college player to an NFL player seems too strong if we are really doing deep analysis (but then again, I feel like I'd do that too at times... So hypocrite talking lol). Jones has had good guidance in the NFL and I'd rather compare him as a prospect to Watkins as a prospect. The prospect Jones really showed up when he got to Atlanta, maybe the prospect Watkins shows up too when he goes to say us, or the Lions, or whoever. See what I mean? Yea it's tough to find old stuff on Julio Jones, but I mean I'd say that's a more fair way to grade the two imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
^^I understand, I think comparing college prospects to NFL can be done, but we always have to remember that college prospects are usually never the same as NFL players.

And the videos do show that, so that's a fair point jrry32. But what about Watkins is my question? What can he do with a great QB? If he had Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez as mentors, you think Watkins would benefit from that? Answer is we don't know (we'd think yes, but prospects can end up busting when you least expect it). Maybe Watkins is MUCH better then we expect? Or he's worse? I get the point of the NFL videos, but to me comparing a college player to an NFL player seems too strong if we are really doing deep analysis (but then again, I feel like I'd do that too at times... So hypocrite talking lol). Jones has had good guidance in the NFL and I'd rather compare him as a prospect to Watkins as a prospect. The prospect Jones really showed up when he got to Atlanta, maybe the prospect Watkins shows up too when he goes to say us, or the Lions, or whoever. See what I mean? Yea it's tough to find old stuff on Julio Jones, but I mean I'd say that's a more fair way to grade the two imo.

Except I'm showing Jones winning with his speed, leaping ability, and hands. Guidance is great but those plays are featuring Jones's freakish athleticism and talent...which was what made him such a strong prospect.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watkins isn't even one of the top 5 WRs in this draft in terms of being most pro ready/polished.

You are so far off base and way too full on yourself but by all means continue.

Jones RAC is mostly on deeper balls when he's catching and running away from defenders, Watkins runs over them, around them AND b them.

Keep shadow boxing son.