Casserly has Mariota on board after Rams pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll bet all of my ROD $ that he won't be available at #10. And I have like a thousand delores. LOL

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think we pass on him. Our team could so badly use Brandon Scherff or Amari Cooper (please!) - Mariota would compete with Foles this year and probably end up becoming a serviceable starter. I honestly don't think he's better than that. I could well be wrong but I'm not an NFL scout...

I'm down with Cooper and if hes not there lets build the line with Sherff and try to grab that 6'6 boom or bust Beckham kid In the later rounds. I'm with you on those 1st round selections though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As much as I agree with jrry on many of his talent evaluations...I disagree on Mariota.

Id find a trade in this scenario or take the best OL or WR.

I would pick Mariota also but I have a feeling Snead would pass on him. I think hat he and Fisher have QB wrapped up between Keenum and Foles. I like this years QB situation better than last years for sure but I don't think it is ever wise to pass up potential franchise QB. Mariota could easily end up being better than Foles, even if Foles plays pretty good this year. The Rams could have Mariota cheap for four years. If Foles is playing great they can resign him, unless he demands too much then the Rams would at least get a FA comp pick, unless they can second round tender him or something.

Or sign Foles and let Mariota back him up for two years then trade either. By then they should have enough opportunity get Mariota into some games to know what they have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll bet all of my ROD $ that he won't be available at #10. And I have like a thousand delores. LOL

Well, Tennessee is already looking real hard at him. They'd be foolish to pass him up because of Mettenberger. Even if they like Zach the two QBs can vie to start side by side and if both are good one could be traded for a good pick or package of picks.

As important as QBs are in the NFL I don't think any team should pass up a chance to take a potential franchise QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Y'know I have watched Mariota his entire career at U of O. I said until this last year that he would not translate to the NFL. The last half of the season changed my mind. He is smart. He can throw a very good pass. He has short mechanics when he needs them. He has a pretty decent long ball. He can run and dodge. He can be a taller Russell Wilson. He has bulked up a bit. If he is there at 10 - take him. You'd be crazy not to IMO. If nothing else, we have a guy that can sit behind Foles, who I think has to overcome a lot of deficits himself, and learn how to be the great QB we probably can't pass on. He would also be great trade bait at minimum.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it is interesting that many say that Fish has to win NOW. I don't see it that way. Fish, Snead, KD, and Kroenke have brought a new brain trust to this team. IMO this is not a get rich quick type mentality. It is a work it hard and get rich mentality. It is a do it all mentality. We may not EVER see a big FA push. We may never see a blockbuster trade. But I think what we will see is a steady progression toward being a contender each and every year and with that will come SB appearances and hopefully some championships. What I don't think we will see is knee jerk firings and soap opera drama from our organization.

But maybe that's just me hoping.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as I agree with jrry on many of his talent evaluations...I disagree on Mariota.

Id find a trade in this scenario or take the best OL or WR.
As much as I am all in on the OL for need - I just can't see passing on the value and BPA of Mariota if he was there at 10. At the very minimum you have a 2nd string QB that even if he sits on your bench, has more value than virtually any other FA on the market in a given year. Trade him for the player you covet most - you are almost assured that you will get him in exchange for a 1st round QB that won the Heisman and is known for NOT being a pre-Madonna. In fact, I would say that you get your man plus a high draft pick in any trade.

Lock that dude up if you get the chance. Who knows, maybe a good guy with a good family lands in your lap as the next great franchise QB. If not, there will be a long line at your door for his services.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it is interesting that many say that Fish has to win NOW. I don't see it that way. Fish, Snead, KD, and Kroenke have brought a new brain trust to this team. IMO this is not a get rich quick type mentality. It is a work it hard and get rich mentality. It is a do it all mentality. We may not EVER see a big FA push. We may never see a blockbuster trade. But I think what we will see is a steady progression toward being a contender each and every year and with that will come SB appearances and hopefully some championships. What I don't think we will see is knee jerk firings and soap opera drama from our organization.

But maybe that's just me hoping.

Much as I'd like to agree ,I just can't if he survives another losing season the ONLY way the Rams will draw any at all will have to be in LA

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
As much as I am all in on the OL for need - I just can't see passing on the value and BPA of Mariota if he was there at 10. At the very minimum you have a 2nd string QB that even if he sits on your bench, has more value than virtually any other FA on the market in a given year. Trade him for the player you covet most - you are almost assured that you will get him in exchange for a 1st round QB that won the Heisman and is known for NOT being a pre-Madonna. In fact, I would say that you get your man plus a high draft pick in any trade.

Lock that dude up if you get the chance. Who knows, maybe a good guy with a good family lands in your lap as the next great franchise QB. If not, there will be a long line at your door for his services.
Yup Foles would IMO be the perfect bridge or franchise guy and you'd have a year to decide ,but shit that'd mean we'd have to cut Davis ,the humanity

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think we pass on him. Our team could so badly use Brandon Scherff or Amari Cooper (please!) - Mariota would compete with Foles this year and probably end up becoming a serviceable starter. I honestly don't think he's better than that. I could well be wrong but I'm not an NFL scout...
Those ARE my three options ,hope we 1 sign Bark 2 resign Long mid camp at lower rate to be a backup 3 get a FA guard 4 have the choice between Marriota or Cooper

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Won't happen. He doesn't get passed the jets. If he does, he doesn't get passed us.

We have Foles on a one year deal currently. We're going to take a qb in this draft.
And we need to keep our 'Eye on the Ball', so to speak. We MUST concentrate on improving our O-Line "1st!!"

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I don't think he will be on the board still, but if he is we need to take him. Too valuable a commodity.
I think either Cooper or Scherff we be wearing horns come draft day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That was the most uncomfortable, awkward Pro Day for a QB that I've ever watched, and J. Football's was a circus. You know what scares me the most about Mariota? His demeanor. Everyone expected for Mariota to blow up his Pro Day, but, it's almost like he had to have his hand held during the whole process, and he just stunk it up. Maybe that is not his thing, but watching him in the interview, he has no swag. That scares me. He will have to lead men into battle. Winston is a better player, leader, and ready to play, for the most part. He also has a better arm. Mariota is a great athlete, but he will have to sit a while too.

Did his demeanor bother anyone else besides me? If we could rally those picks to a team in love with him, I think I'd do it. I'd also take White or Cooper over him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was the most uncomfortable, awkward Pro Day for a QB that I've ever watched, and J. Football's was a circus. You know what scares me the most about Mariota? His demeanor. Everyone expected for Mariota to blow up his Pro Day, but, it's almost like he had to have his hand held during the whole process, and he just stunk it up. Maybe that is not his thing, but watching him in the interview, he has no swag. That scares me. He will have to lead men into battle. Winston is a better player, leader, and ready to play, for the most part. He also has a better arm. Mariota is a great athlete, but he will have to sit a while too.

Did his demeanor bother anyone else besides me? If we could rally those picks to a team in love with him, I think I'd do it. I'd also take White or Cooper over him.

Pro Day? Swag? Come on, Doc! Don't fall in that trap. ;)

Athos

Legend

Other teams should though, like they fell for Teddy's bad pro day, but I contest is still by far the worst of the worst pro days for a QB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's not a trap, it's is demeanor overall. Doesn't bother you as an evaluator? I mean, he's a QB. Did you see his Pro Day? I still have him as my #2, but the separation between him and Winston grew. The separation between him and Hundley shrunk. He looked bad jrry32, and you should know that I don't let the TV guys sway my opinions.

Would you have been more comfortable if I used "it" factor?

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not a trap, it's is demeanor overall. Doesn't bother you as an evaluator? I mean, he's a QB. Did you see his Pro Day? I still have him as my #2, but the separation between him and Winston grew. The separation between him and Hundley shrunk. He looked bad jrry32, and you should know that I don't let the TV guys sway my opinions.

Would you have been more comfortable if I used "it" factor?

Nope, not at all. Some guys just have that demeanor. Not every QB will be the fiery leader type. The question for me is if they can play. Mariota isn't perfect as a prospect and he's a risk but I think he's a guy that you give a year to adjust to a NFL system and work on his mechanics, you'll be quite happy with what you get.

I don't think he has as much long term potential as Winston but I do think that he has the ability to be a top 10 QB if he's developed properly. More of a rich man's Alex Smith than a Peyton Manning type but I'd take it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nope, not at all. Some guys just have that demeanor. Not every QB will be the fiery leader type. The question for me is if they can play. Mariota isn't perfect as a prospect and he's a risk but I think he's a guy that you give a year to adjust to a NFL system and work on his mechanics, you'll be quite happy with what you get.

I don't think he has as much long term potential as Winston but I do think that he has the ability to be a top 10 QB if he's developed properly. More of a rich man's Alex Smith than a Peyton Manning type but I'd take it.
Okay, different conversation, but I'm not talking about fiery, which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. Did you get a chance to watch him, or any of his interviews? Yes, he checks all the other boxes, I agree on that. I will also agree that we both rate QB's different, especially when it comes to character, and personality. He appeared timid. Timid is not what I would like in a QB. His arm strength didn't look great, and his accuracy was very poor. It was just disappointing, but it may help him fall a little.

I'll tell you this, he could have a problem if he ends up in a big city, but that is just my opinion, of course.