Case Keenum, from two-star HS prospect to Rams starting QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Are you a fan of Case Keenum

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Case Keenum, from two-star HS prospect to Rams starting QB
227364_206cdafb82344303b3fd23a00362861e~mv2_d_2357_1326_s_2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-...from-two-star-HS-prospect-to-Rams-starting-QB

August 25, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

Imagine growing up in one state, going to college in that same state and then playing football in the NFL for that state. Not common right? Well, that would be Case Keenum's football life in a nutshell.

Keenum was born in Brownwood, Texas. He stayed there as long as he could. He attended Wylie high school in Abilene, Texas. He started 42 games at Wylie and accumulated 6,783 yards and 48 touchdowns passing, On top of those lofty statistics he also racked up the rushing yards with 2,000 and 41 rushing touchdowns. He led his school to their only state championship in their history. While he seemed to be the total package at his school's standards he was just one of a million at the position.

The Texas QB was rated a two-star QB prospect by Scout.com and Rivals.com. The uncertainty about Keenum showed as only the local Texas teams seemed to even take a look at Keenum or maybe they were the only ones who even knew about him. He received interest from University of Texas El Paso, Baylor, North Texas and Houston. He ended up committing to Houston which was surprisingly the only school out of the bunch to offer Keenum a scholarship.

During his freshman year in 2006 Keenum had to take a backseat behind former NFL starter in his own right -- Kevin Kolb. Due to belief in Keenum, the coaches didn't want to waste anytime and decided to redshirt the freshman.

Kolb went on to the NFL to be drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and that left a QB competition tied up between the redshirt Freshman Keenum and the Sophomore Blake Joseph who had been waiting in the wings a year before him. Keenum ended up winning the battle due to his superior pocket presence and accuracy even despite the fact he was completely outmatched by Joseph's athleticism and his superior arm strength.

In 2008 the next year Keenum would get into his groove throwing for over 5,000 yards in what was just the second time a Houston QB had accomplished such a feat. The guy before him? Not Kolb believe it or not it was David Klingler from the early 1990's. Keenum would also go on to lead the Cougars to their first bowl game win since 1980, he would also end up winning Conference USA Player of the Year.

The next season Keenum would continue throwing for a massive tally of yards. Unfortunately though come season's end the loss in the bowl game didn't really help his season. Keenum's Junior season ended up ending in horrible fashion, a torn ACL.

Keenum was granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA and he led his team to their best season going undefeated and then unfortunately losing in the conference championship game to an Austin Davis led Southern Mississippi squad. Sure, Keenum wanted the championship but his time with Houston wasn't over yet. He led Houston to a bowl game victory over Penn State in the Ticket City Bowl.

After his historic college career came to a close, Keenum signed with his hometown team in the form of the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent. Keenum was brought onto the practice squad but shortly after was promoted to the active roster. He would go on to start for the Texans in 2013 in relief for injured QB Matt Schaub and benched T.J. Yates. Head coach at the time Gary Kubiak was a big fan of Keenum.

The next season Kubiak was out and in was former Penn State coach Bill O'Brien. The Texans made a move to acquire the former Arkansas Razorback Ryan Mallett via a trade with the Patriots. Due to this acquisition Keenum was left as the odd man out and was waived, the Rams ended up claiming him off waivers. A couple months after the Rams made a trade for former first-round pick safety Mark Barron and to make room, Keenum was cut.

Read more...

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
I like Keenum. He's clearly a hard worker and I thought he did a decent job last year. He's not going to put up the craziest numbers but if he starts, we just need him to be solid and take care of the football.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Keenum. He's clearly a hard worker and I thought he did a decent job last year. He's not going to put up the craziest numbers but if he starts, we just need him to be solid and take care of the football.
Honestly I like the guy too you can tell he's earned everything he's received. In my article notice the irony of Bill O'Brien at Penn State losing to Case in college then two years later when O'Brien came to the Texans he wanted Keenum gone haha. Not saying O'Brien was that much of a loser but perhaps a little sour grapes?

maddogmrb

UDFA
Name
maddogmrb
Case is a winner and if they will open up the offense for him he won't disappoint.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I had the pleasure of watching Keenum when he played at Houston take on my alma mater (UTEP). The game was a slugfest and ended with Houston winning 49-42. Keenum threw for over 470 yards that game with 2 TD's. He led his team deep in the 4th quarter to a TD drive that sealed the victory. UTEP had a chance to tie/win the game but came up short on the last play of the game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJTH3tsRDg

The kid made me a fan and I'm glad to have him on our team. He's a very likable guy and has proven he can be a winner. How far this team can go with him this year depends on how well the line protects him and his receivers catching the damn ball.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I had the pleasure of watching Keenum when he played at Houston take on my alma mater (UTEP). The game was a slugfest and ended with Houston winning 49-42. Keenum threw for over 470 yards that game with 2 TD's. He led his team deep in the 4th quarter to a TD drive that sealed the victory. UTEP had a chance to tie/win the game but came up short on the last play of the game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWJTH3tsRDg

The kid made me a fan and I'm glad to have him on our team. He's a very likable guy and has proven he can be a winner. How far this team can go with him this year depends on how well the line protects him and his receivers catching the damn ball.

Thanks for reading and sharing! How awesome would that have been had UTEP offered Keenum and he went there?

TXRams86

The Infamous
Thanks for reading and sharing! How awesome would that have been had UTEP offered Keenum and he went there?
that would have been awesome.
but then again, the most recent UTEP QB to do anything was Jameill Showers...currently with the Cowgirls.
:puke:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
that would have been awesome.
but then again, the most recent UTEP QB to do anything was Jameill Showers...currently with the Cowgirls.
:puke:
Hey man Showers made some plays against us haha but I get it...lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Keenum is kind of the ideal NFL back up....humble, hard worker, knows his limitations ect.
And he has a good Football minded Wife behind him which doesn't Hurt! She k his playbook inside and out!! Did you see her on Hard Knocks going through it with him!!?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@jakebogen95 your back, nice write up.
Case seems like a very grounded unassuming guy that is not afraid to work and earn his place.
He seems like a guy that will adapt to the role he is given.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am a huge Case Keenum fan, I believe he's the next Steve DeBerg!

RamWoodie

Legend
Keenum is a "back-up QB" for life...but to be in the position he is now is great for him. He's a starter by experience, and he has enough of an arm to hold it down. The story is great...but he gets yanked as soon as Mannion or Goff shows the have the ability to competently run the Ram offense. Both have better arms than Keenum.

Ellard80

Legend
Nothing against the guy.. you never know.. maybe he has some it factor that might arise.

But yeah...

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Dude has earned his way so far and will likely hold those NCAA records for quite some time, if not forever. Happy he is our #1 to start the season if not, our #2. Either way.