Case Keenum back to the Texans.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
EXACTLY!!!! When will the Rams get smart and start listening to us? :mad: ;)

Oh they listen, they just know Keenum never won a game for the Texans ( that I know of) IF he was all that he had plenty of chances last year and they decide to go OUT and get Fitzharvard.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh they listen, they just know Keenum never won a game for the Texans ( that I know of) IF he was all that he had plenty of chances last year and they decide to go OUT and get Fitzharvard.
Well, we lost a lot of games with Bradford too, so I don't think winning should be the primary evaluation tool. He "looks" like a good QB, played fairly well for them, and he has a hell of an arm. Feel free to mute both the music (and Skip Bayless) on this one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPZ4sa4B4w

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, we lost a lot of games with Bradford too, so I don't think winning should be the primary evaluation tool. He "looks" like a good QB, played fairly well for them, and he has a hell of an arm. Feel free to mute both the music (and Skip Bayless) on this one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPZ4sa4B4w

I watched a lot of the texans games last year and didn't dislike the kid, but they got the #1 overall pick with him at QB I think like half their games SURELY somewhere in there if he was all dat he'd have figured prominently in a win,I can't recall us going O fer with Bradford .
AND BTW I am completely on board with the W-L record can't be the primary factor in evaluating a QB, but it's not meaningless either and in the end what we really want is a guy who can win games because he's that good or can become that good, es verdad?

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy fixating:
Everyone needs to stop fixating on Keenum. Keenum is just the tip of the iceberg. We're trying to get a hot line installed (with a blue and gold color design) so we can call in with all the plays for both the offense the defense and the game in general. We'll probably take turns being HC, OC and DC. And don't even get me started on the FA and draft decisions.

As for Keenum himself, did you happen to know that we're omniscient and are blessed with precognition too? It never ceases to amaze me when the same people who say we shouldn't judge a rookie until he's had a few years experience (usually 3) then turn around and bash a player without giving him that time. I'm totally unfamiliar with Keenum and his play. I have a hard enough time keeping track of Ram players. I was simply joking around with Akrasian. Why? Obviously because he's half Asian and I have an affinity for Asians. Asians and I are like this:
upload_2014-12-15_13-50-49.jpeg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was simply joking around with Akrasian. Why? Obviously because he's half Asian and I have an affinity for Asians. Asians and I are like this:
View attachment 4577

Actually, my screen name is from akrasia, which is a Greek term from Aristotle. Not that I'm Greek either.

Alan

Legend
I knew that. Remember the Introduce Yourself thread? I always research new posters for material. It's OK, I still like you even if you don't get my jokes. :LOL::ROFLMAO: :cheers:
I like word play. And math. :banana: Both of my ex-wives were Korean BTW.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-ethics/

7. Akrasia
In VII.1–10 Aristotle investigates character traits—continence and incontinence—that are not as blameworthy as the vices but not as praiseworthy as the virtues. (We began our discussion of these qualities in section 4.) The Greek terms are akrasia (“incontinence”; literally: “lack of mastery”) and enkrateia (“continence”; literally “mastery”). An akratic person goes against reason as a result of some pathos (“emotion,” “feeling”). Like the akratic, an enkratic person experiences a feeling that is contrary to reason; but unlike the akratic, he acts in accordance with reason. His defect consists solely in the fact that, more than most people, he experiences passions that conflict with his rational choice. The akratic person has not only this defect, but has the further flaw that he gives in to feeling rather than reason more often than the average person.

Aristotle distinguishes two kinds of akrasia: impetuosity (propeteia) and weakness (astheneia). The person who is weak goes through a process of deliberation and makes a choice; but rather than act in accordance with his reasoned choice, he acts under the influence of a passion. By contrast, the impetuous person does not go through a process of deliberation and does not make a reasoned choice; he simply acts under the influence of a passion. At the time of action, the impetuous person experiences no internal conflict. But once his act has been completed, he regrets what he has done. One could say that he deliberates, if deliberation were something that post-dated rather than preceded action; but the thought process he goes through after he acts comes too late to save him from error.

It is important to bear in mind that when Aristotle talks about impetuosity and weakness, he is discussing chronic conditions. The impetuous person is someone who acts emotionally and fails to deliberate not just once or twice but with some frequency; he makes this error more than most people do. Because of this pattern in his actions, we would be justified in saying of the impetuous person that had his passions not prevented him from doing so, he would have deliberated and chosen an action different from the one he did perform.

The two kinds of passions that Aristotle focuses on, in his treatment of akrasia, are the appetite for pleasure and anger. Either can lead to impetuosity and weakness. But Aristotle gives pride of place to the appetite for pleasure as the passion that undermines reason. He calls the kind of akrasiacaused by an appetite for pleasure “unqualified akrasia”—or, as we might say, akrasia “full stop”;akrasia caused by anger he considers a qualified form of akrasia and calls it akrasia “with respect to anger”. We thus have these four forms of akrasia: (A) impetuosity caused by pleasure, (B) impetuosity caused by anger, (C) weakness caused by pleasure (D) weakness caused by anger. It should be noticed that Aristotle's treatment of akrasia is heavily influenced by Plato's tripartite division of the soul in the Republic. Plato holds that either the spirited part (which houses anger, as well as other emotions) or the appetitive part (which houses the desire for physical pleasures) can disrupt the dictates of reason and result in action contrary to reason. The same threefold division of the soul can be seen in Aristotle's approach to this topic.

Although Aristotle characterizes akrasia and enkrateia in terms of a conflict between reason and feeling, his detailed analysis of these states of mind shows that what takes place is best described in a more complicated way. For the feeling that undermines reason contains some thought, which may be implicitly general. As Aristotle says, anger “reasoning as it were that one must fight against such a thing, is immediately provoked” (1149a33–4). And although in the next sentence he denies that our appetite for pleasure works in this way, he earlier had said that there can be a syllogism that favors pursuing enjoyment: “Everything sweet is pleasant, and this is sweet” leads to the pursuit of a particular pleasure (1147a31–30). Perhaps what he has in mind is that pleasure can operate in either way: it can prompt action unmediated by a general premise, or it can prompt us to act on such a syllogism. By contrast, anger always moves us by presenting itself as a bit of general, although hasty, reasoning.

But of course Aristotle does not mean that a conflicted person has more than one faculty of reason. Rather his idea seems to be that in addition to our full-fledged reasoning capacity, we also have psychological mechanisms that are capable of a limited range of reasoning. When feeling conflicts with reason, what occurs is better described as a fight between feeling-allied-with-limited-reasoning and full-fledged reason. Part of us—reason—can remove itself from the distorting influence of feeling and consider all relevant factors, positive and negative. But another part of us—feeling or emotion—has a more limited field of reasoning—and sometimes it does not even make use of it.

Although “passion” is sometimes used as a translation of Aristotle's word pathos (other alternatives are “emotion” and “feeling”), it is important to bear in mind that his term does not necessarily designate a strong psychological force. Anger is a pathos whether it is weak or strong; so too is the appetite for bodily pleasures. And he clearly indicates that it is possible for an akratic person to be defeated by a weak pathos—the kind that most people would easily be able to control (1150a9-b16). So the general explanation for the occurrence of akrasia cannot be that the strength of a passion overwhelms reason. Aristotle should therefore be acquitted of an accusation made against him by J.L. Austin in a well-known footnote to his paper, “A Plea For Excuses.” Plato and Aristotle, he says, collapsed all succumbing to temptation into losing control of ourselves—a mistake illustrated by this example: “I am very partial to ice cream, and a bombe is served divided into segments corresponding one to one with the persons at High Table: I am tempted to help myself to two segments and do so, thus succumbing to temptation and even conceivably (but why necessarily?) going against my principles. But do I lose control of myself? Do I raven, do I snatch the morsels from the dish and wolf them down, impervious to the consternation of my colleagues? Not a bit of it. We often succumb to temptation with calm and even with finesse.” (Philosophical Papers, 1961, p. 146.) With this, Aristotle can agree: the pathos for the bombe can be a weak one, and in some people that will be enough to get them to act in a way that is disapproved by their reason at the very time of action.

What is most remarkable about Aristotle's discussion of akrasia is that he defends a position close to that of Socrates. When he first introduces the topic of akrasia, and surveys some of the problems involved in understanding this phenomenon, he says (1145b25–8) that Socrates held that there is noakrasia, and he describes this as a thesis that clearly conflicts with the appearances (phainomena). Since he says that his goal is to preserve as many of the appearances as possible (1145b2–7), it may come as a surprise that when he analyzes the conflict between reason and feeling, he arrives at the conclusion that in a way Socrates was right after all (1147b13–17). For, he says, the person who acts against reason does not have what is thought to be unqualified knowledge; in a way he has knowledge, but in a way does not.

Aristotle explains what he has in mind by comparing akrasia to the condition of other people who might be described as knowing in a way, but not in an unqualified way. His examples are people who are asleep, mad, or drunk; he also compares the akratic to a student who has just begun to learn a subject, or an actor on the stage (1147a10–24). All of these people, he says, can utter the very words used by those who have knowledge; but their talk does not prove that they really have knowledge, strictly speaking.

These analogies can be taken to mean that the form of akrasia that Aristotle calls weakness rather than impetuosity always results from some diminution of cognitive or intellectual acuity at the moment of action. The akratic says, at the time of action, that he ought not to indulge in this particular pleasure at this time. But does he know or even believe that he should refrain? Aristotle might be taken to reply: yes and no. He has some degree of recognition that he must not do this now, but not full recognition. His feeling, even if it is weak, has to some degree prevented him from completely grasping or affirming the point that he should not do this. And so in a way Socrates was right. When reason remains unimpaired and unclouded, its dictates will carry us all the way to action, so long as we are able to act.

But Aristotle's agreement with Socrates is only partial, because he insists on the power of the emotions to rival, weaken or bypass reason. Emotion challenges reason in all three of these ways. In both the akratic and the enkratic, it competes with reason for control over action; even when reason wins, it faces the difficult task of having to struggle with an internal rival. Second, in the akratic, it temporarily robs reason of its full acuity, thus handicapping it as a competitor. It is not merely a rival force, in these cases; it is a force that keeps reason from fully exercising its power. And third, passion can make someone impetuous; here its victory over reason is so powerful that the latter does not even enter into the arena of conscious reflection until it is too late to influence action.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wrong group Rabid. The group he's talking about is the one that is so knowledgeable about all things football the Ram's brain trust just automatically does whatever we think is the right thing to do. To get into our group you have to be all knowing and omniscient. Are you? Are you really? Cause we have very high standards.

OBVIOUSLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
And if he does nothing of note, we'll probably just never hear his name again.

I'm guessing this gets Garrett Gilbert a job for the next couple of weeks, since he's familiar with the system if nothing else.

I don't think so. They won't bench Hill twice.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Keenum too short Rams could have kept him if they wanted to. Austin Davis is better IMO plus Lewis could start over Keenum. Anyway I would like the Rams to try to add Saints QB Ryan Griffin to the active roster again, he is currently on the Saints practice squad.

Add him to the active roster now and give him a chance next season you have two games left you can release somebody you know is not in the plans next year.
Yeah, there is no way he would learn the system in time to start.

Regardless of what the fans want, Fisher wants to win the remaining games left on the schedule. It really wouldn't be a fair evaluation to Griffin anyway.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Dang! I really wanted to see him play for us. What if, just what if he plays really well for Houston?!?!?!?