Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I saw two passes I would count as drops. Wentz threw high and behind WR's a few other times and those balls are usually incompletions regardless of the QB or WR. He's nimble for a guy his size for sure.

Very odd to see so many way too high and way too low passes. But they were often good directionally, just not placed at the right height and with time playing games that should correct itself.

…..

Legend
All I know is that we better have a bigger thread on Goff after Saturday. I am so unconcerned with Carson Wentz right now that I cant even believe I opened the thread.

KDS73

Rookie
Wentz has an easy road with that offense. He should have no trouble.

Nobody is gonna have an easy road in that offense for a while. Bad offensive line, the receivers are hot garbage, and Ryan Mathews is gonna get injured and miss several games this year like he always does. Their defense might be good enough to carry them, but that offense will struggle this year.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Carson Wentz
could
be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, said Ron Jaworski, an ex-NFL quarterback.ヽ(◉◡◔)ノ

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Carson Wentz
could
be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, said Ron Jaworski, an ex-NFL quarterback.
"He cannot become THE greatest quarterback ever" continued Jaworski, "that designation belongs to Colin Kaepernick."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd almost want Goff to make mistakes tomorrow. Better he makes them now than later. Plus, it will show his character if he learns from them and lights it up next game. Then again, a strong showing tomorrow would get me so excited, Mrs. Snack might hafta cancel her plans for card night with her mother and sister. :sneaky:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nobody is gonna have an easy road in that offense for a while. Bad offensive line, the receivers are hot garbage, and Ryan Mathews is gonna get injured and miss several games this year like he always does. Their defense might be good enough to carry them, but that offense will struggle this year.

I meant that being an Andy Reid QB is one of the easier assignments. Pederson supposedly will be running the same scheme, the scheme that made Kevin Kolb look like he is worth a top second round pick. It is a very QB friendly offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What love? I was stating a fact to a question asked. Just wondering why the Eagles should be concerned about their qb leading a td drive in his only drive on the field?

If he lead a drive, I'd totally agree.
Between Bradford and Daniel they completed a total of 5 passes for a whopping 18 yards. Eek
Wentz coming up with 89 on 12 completions looked like a mad bomber. Lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thought he looked good...threw on the run....scrambled...stayed tall in the pocket...nice, live arm...couple drops...silly pick...what's a rookie supposed to do?

If I'm a Philly fan, I'd be more concerned that Daniel/Bradford combined for 5/11 for 18 yards
Bradford had a 30 yard drive I believe, offense looked fine...running game looked powerful...

Nobody is gonna have an easy road in that offense for a while. Bad offensive line,
Speaking of running game, on the first TD, Lane Johnson buries his man on a down block...devastating run blocker...

Tampa's defense looked like garbage...isn't that where that highly rated cb from Florida went? Hargraves??? And Noah Spence??? Bet those guys won't be on the bench long...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford had a 30 yard drive I believe, offense looked fine...running game looked powerful...
18 yard drive. Bradford dunked a 3 yarder to Celek, Matthews did the rest
A 10 yard run, then a 5 yarder to the house
I could buy that Matthews lead a drive. Lol

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just a thought.........does this mean Bradford is officially the backup?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd almost want Goff to make mistakes tomorrow. Better he makes them now than later. Plus, it will show his character if he learns from them and lights it up next game. Then again, a strong showing tomorrow would get me so excited, Mrs. Snack might hafta cancel her plans for card night with her mother and sister. :sneaky:

Not me. I want to see a statement performance by Goff, where he plays smooth and in control and looks like he is ready to take that top job. And I think that is exactly what we are going to see.

He has been dealing with Williams' defense and AD camping out in the offensive backfield all camp long. Dallas is not a complicated D, and it's preseason so Goff should be ready schematically for them since he won't have protections on his mind like he will in a real game. He has a good feel for who he can trust, and should have nice options that have him covered in catching the effin ball in Higbee and those young wideouts, most of whom have good hands.

IMO Goff is going to have a good game. Been saying this, and the problem is going to be keeping the hoopla under control if it goes down that way.

Conversely, if he struggles it is going to be a really not-good sign about his readiness. But again I do not expect that.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I thought Goff hasn't been playing with the 1s in camp? I don't believe AD has been a significant (in regards to time) factor for him yet.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
He looked terrible under pressure. But this isn't the FCS anymore so that wasn't really all that surprising. It will take him awhile to adjust to the talent level.

I'm happy Goff is our QB I'll say that much.

KDS73

Rookie
http://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentzs-first-professional-game-gifs/

Carson Wentz's first professional game, in GIFs

BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice Staff

The first Philadelphia Eagles' first preseason game of 2016 is in the books, but more importantly, it was our first glimpse of rookie Carson Wentz as an Eagle in a game setting. And so, we'll over-analyze the crap out of it.

Wentz first entered the game in a two-minute offense scenario, and on the re-watch, it was better than I remembered. His first throw was to Nelson Agholor on the sideline. This throw obviously needs to be lower, although maybe I can buy that he was a little amped up. But make the catch, Agholor.

Wentz-1.gif

Throw number two was a play that displayed Wentz's athleticism and arm strength. He climbs the pocket, keeps his eyes down the field, and zzzzzzip to Zach Ertz. The best part of this play is how effortless Wentz makes it look.

Wentz-climbs-pocket.gif

Here's a throw Wentz missed down the sideline. We'll show a couple things here:

Wentz-2.gif

To begin, the center is put on roller skates, and gets pushed back into him. No quarterback is going to be successful when their center is driven back seven yards into their lap:

Wentz-3.gif

And watch this atrocious route by Rueben Randle.

Wentz-4.gif

This is man coverage on a deep route. This is what receivers should live for. Randle runs three-quarter speed down the sideline seemingly having no interest in beating his man, turns his head as he's throttling down, and looks legitimately surprised the ball is coming his way. Awful.

On this next throw, Wentz is once again high, but it's a catch his receiver should make. The Bucs are sending six on a blitz. Wentz reads it and gets the ball out quickly:

Wentz-5.gif

But here's what I really like on this play. First, Wentz knows he's going to get hit, but he stands in and takes the shot as he delivers the football.

Wentz-6.gif

And secondly, I love the quick release. This is slow-mo:

Wentz-7.gif

This next play is great. The center snaps the ball too early, and the entire offensive line is beaten. Watch RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai. He doesn't even get out of his stance. There are multiple free rushers coming at Wentz, but he gets outside them and delivers an accurate sideline throw to Paul Turner, who ran his route short of the sticks. Wentz gets no help at all on this play and still almost converts a 3rd and 11.

Wentz-8.gif

Here's Wentz on the run. This is a 6'5, 237 man. It's hard not to get excited about this:

Wentz-9.gif

Here's a little pre-snap recognition. Wentz sees the slot corner inching toward the line to blitz, so he calmly hits the slot receiver for an easy completion. Nothing complicated here, but nicely done:

Wentz-10.gif

Here you see his poise. There's a bad snap, but Wentz tracks it down, scoops, gets outside the DE, looks downfield for an open receiver, doesn't see one, and dumps it out of bounds. Golf clap.

Wentz-11.gif

Here's the pick. The receiver runs a good route, but Wentz gets late pressure and tried to throw as he's being hit. I'm OK with the decision here. The receiver is open, so you want to try to hit him. He simply delivers it too high, although obviously the hit affected the throw.

Wentz-13.gif

And some more bad. Wentz steps up in the pocket to give himself a cleaner look, chooses the correct receiver, and just missed him.

Wentz-14.gif

And finally, the flip. This is 3rd and 7. If he slides here during a regular season game, he's going to be criticized for not getting the first down. I have no problem with this from Wentz's perspective. It's football. However, from Doug Pederson's perspective, I'd maybe hold off calling designed QB runs in the preseason.

Wentz-15.gif

In summary, Wentz showed that there's a lot to look forward to, but certainly he's not yet a finished product, and it would be nice if his teammates would give him a little more help.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Excellent article by Jimmy Kempski on observation, illustration and articulation.

There were a lot of excellent points brought up regarding the team around him, but I do think think he looked late on that interception, and he does make me think back to people screaming for more touch on the football.

So that's it, I guess, to me you can summarize his bad as a BradFoles mixture. And just to remain weird, I'll call his good the anti-Banks.