Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Get Baltimore on the phone and find out what it takes to get to #6. I think a 2nd and the 6 would get it done. Wentz is the guy I really want to land this year.
i like anything said about moving up, QB is a must, Rams are built to win now
train

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But what if you don't have the young QB on the team who would benefit from this?

I don't necessarily think they do. But we really don't know what the Rams think of Mannion. We wont until the draft. If they pass up a guy like Cook? Then we know they think Cook is not as good. If they pass up any of the other three if they were there at 15 then they think they have it covered. However if they don't move up for the top three all that tells us is they think the price is too high. I read where Mannion has a better deep ball and a quicker release than QB on the team. Maybe they think they have their QB of the future and just look at veterans again this offseason.

I am not sure I trust Fisher's and Snead's ability to evaluate QBs at this point. I wanted them to take Bortles because I thought Bradford was never going to be that guy with his injury history and lack of success. (In retrospect Bortles is probably too much of a gunslinger for Fisher's liking, but I still liked him).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't necessarily think they do. But we really don't know what the Rams think of Mannion. We wont until the draft. If they pass up a guy like Cook? Then we know they think Cook is not as good. If they pass up any of the other three if they were there at 15 then they think they have it covered. However if they don't move up for the top three all that tells us is they think the price is too high. I read where Mannion has a better deep ball and a quicker release than QB on the team. Maybe they think they have their QB of the future and just look at veterans again this offseason.

I am not sure I trust Fisher's and Snead's ability to evaluate QBs at this point. I wanted them to take Bortles because I thought Bradford was never going to be that guy with his injury history and lack of success. (In retrospect Bortles is probably too much of a gunslinger for Fisher's liking, but I still liked him).
I agree with everything you said, however I hope they don't like Cook...
The Mannion situation befuddles me, they could be in a position to grab the "Franchise QB", and don't know what he's made of. Certainly didn't keep a team like Tennessee from drafting a QB even though they saw a little bit of Mettenberg and he showed promise.
I too have doubts about the ability to evaluate QB. Snead comment about making mistake last year by handing job to Foles without competition really concerns me.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Scott Wright has the RAMS getting him at 15...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-draft/2016-mock-draft/round-1/page/2/

Scouts around the league have been high on North Dakota St. QB Carson Wentz for quite some time but his sterling performance in the FCS National Championship Game served as somewhat of a coming out party for the general public. When it comes to physical tools Wentz has everything that you look for and he also earns high marks for his intangibles such as intelligence and leadership ability. Other than the standard concerns about the quality of competition he faced there isn’t much not to like about Wentz. With so many teams in need of help at the quarterback position it is looking increasingly likely that Wentz will come off the board somewhere in the first round. In fact, there is a chance he won’t even last this long on Draft Day. Some might argue that would be a reach but Wentz is going to be a pretty enticing option for teams that are in what I like to call quarterback purgatory. No team better exemplifies that term than the now Los Angeles Rams, who seemingly have all the rest of the pieces in place to contend but just can’t seem to get it right at the games most important position. With that being the case it would be hard to fault them for taking a chance on Wentz if given the opportunity.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Sean Mannion? does anyone know what happened to Mannion? was he injured or just not ready to play last year ? I honestly think if you look at his tapes and credentials he is better than wentz and lynch. At least Mannion played against the pac12 and against future NFL talent.

Nothing happened to Mannion. Fisher & Co. were very specific that Mannion would sit the entire season and learn. He did get into 2 games in the 4th Qtr I believe. I am glad they did it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean Mannion? does anyone know what happened to Mannion? was he injured or just not ready to play last year ? I honestly think if you look at his tapes and credentials he is better than wentz and lynch. At least Mannion played against the pac12 and against future NFL talent.

If you look at the tape and credentials, it becomes obvious that he was nowhere near as good as either.

And playing in the Pac-12 doesn't mean anything. Tim Tebow played in the SEC. Tim Tebow dominated the SEC. Didn't do anything for him in the NFL.

lockdnram21

Legend
The Rams coaches claim he has a bigger arm than anyone in camp and he has the quickest release. So what could be left? He was not ready mentally? I guess that is it. Or maybe they just thought it best not to start him behind a shaky Oline, which seemed to stabilize by seasons end. Maybe we see him next year. It all depends on how the Rams compare him to what they feel is reasonably available to them in the draft or Free Agency I guess. I would have liked him to get some action toward seasons end, however they left Foles in so long that by the time Case Keenum got a shot, they were still trying to get a good look at him to see what kind of starter he could be.
The whole plan was for him to sit a year. He got no reps he was on scout team

lockdnram21

Legend
If you look at the tape and credentials, it becomes obvious that he was nowhere near as good as either.

And playing in the Pac-12 doesn't mean anything. Tim Tebow played in the SEC. Tim Tebow dominated the SEC. Didn't do anything for him in the NFL.
He played well until he had no weapons and line was trash

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played well until he had no weapons and line was trash

That's revisionist history. He was outplayed as a sophomore by a guy that couldn't even make a NFL roster.(Cody Vaz) That was with Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks at WR.

Mannion got overrated because people fell in love with his numbers in 2013. His play wasn't of the same caliber as his stats. It was a lot like Nick Foles's 2013 season in the NFL. He got vastly overrated after that year because people only looked at the numbers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with everything you said, however I hope they don't like Cook...
The Mannion situation befuddles me, they could be in a position to grab the "Franchise QB", and don't know what he's made of. Certainly didn't keep a team like Tennessee from drafting a QB even though they saw a little bit of Mettenberg and he showed promise.
I too have doubts about the ability to evaluate QB. Snead comment about making mistake last year by handing job to Foles without competition really concerns me.

Agreed. The idea that they just hand a job over because of something a guy did two years ago in a brand new offense that was catching people off guard is concerning. If that one poster really has a source who is a scout, then he even said that Keenum was the better QB through camp. That is scary for a Rams fan. Ignoring the play of one guy and keeping faith in the guy that is not doing as well? If they were so sure Foles would 'get it back' why not play the better QB first, until Foles improves in practice? This QB thing was one blunder after another. It is definitely scary.

Back to Tennessee I think that was definitely the right move. Why go with an average QB when you can get a guy projected to be much better than average. They had them both on the roster and if they felt they screwed up they could still get a first rounder for Mariota. Low risk, but even with risk it was a good move.

I am still intrigued with Mettenberger. I never saw him play in college or the Pros but Cossell really thinks he could be something. He said he is a better prospect than Jameis Winston. I don't agree but even if he is close that is pretty good. I don't get why he was not better at LSU, because he certainly had some good weapons. Miles must suck at developing QBs. I am wonder if the Rams don't want to trade up and miss out on a QB they like if he would be a trade candidate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The whole plan was for him to sit a year. He got no reps he was on scout team

Yeah that was the plan. But, when your QB situation is going down the drain it is time to accelerate the learning curve and see what he can handle when you force it on him. Russel Wilson was a third string guy that played for two colleges and he made it through his first year pretty good. If Mannion can't handle some emergency time it reflects badly on him or the coaching.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

Tim Tebow ran the ball a lot, that's what made him dangerous. I will take a guy that put up big numbers in the pac12 over a guy from north Dakota state, just saying Mannion looked like a good draft pick and I am wondering what happened to the guy?

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah that was the plan. But, when your QB situation is going down the drain it is time to accelerate the learning curve and see what he can handle when you force it on him. Russel Wilson was a third string guy that played for two colleges and he made it through his first year pretty good. If Mannion can't handle some emergency time it reflects badly on him or the coaching.
They felt Case was there guy. He was decent.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They felt Case was there guy. He was decent.

I understand that but when they knew they were going to be looking at finding another QB next year, maybe they could have played Mannion for a game. Put him in against the Niners and see if the see anything they like. The coaches didn't seem to have any urgency to win that one anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tim Tebow ran the ball a lot, that's what made him dangerous. I will take a guy that put up big numbers in the pac12 over a guy from north Dakota state, just saying Mannion looked like a good draft pick and I am wondering what happened to the guy?

Great point. That's why you'd rather have Mark Sanchez than Joe Flacco. Right?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally not true. Dominating the Pac 12 guarantees success!!!
USC-Leinart-Heisman-Shelly-041.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally not true. Dominating the Pac 12 guarantees success!!!
USC-Leinart-Heisman-Shelly-041.jpg

Exactly.

I don't want to guarantee failure for Mannion. I didn't like him at all as a prospect. But he's a Ram and I'm rooting for his success. However, I can root for his success while still being unwilling to go into the 2016 season with him as our starting QB and no legitimate competition. That would be a very bad move imo.