Cardinals hired coach of the year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/90872/not-bad-cardinals-hired-coach-of-the-year" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... f-the-year</a>

NEW ORLEANS -- Bruce Arians became the NFL's coach of the year only weeks after the Arizona Cardinals hired him. If that sounds strange, it should. But the honor was earned.

Arians won the award for posting a 9-3 record as Indianapolis' interim coach last season. His performance in the role made him additionally attractive to Arizona as the team sought a successor to Ken Whisenhunt.

The Colts' performance after first-year head coach Chuck Pagano left the team to undergo cancer treatment certainly merited recognition.

St. Louis' Jeff Fisher and Seattle's Pete Carroll certainly would have been worthy candidates this year as well. But as thing stand, the NFC West is doing just fine on the coaching front. San Francisco's Jim Harbaugh won the award a year ago. Now, the Cardinals have the reigning winner.

Arians was the overwhelming choice with 36.5 votes, followed by Pagano (5.5), Carroll (five) and Leslie Frazier (three).

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He's lucky he earned that this year...

Because now that he's in the NFC Best,,, he won't be getting any more of those.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:

I don't know... He's got Kevin Kolb at QB... :plzstop:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Selassie I said:

I don't know... He's got Kevin Kolb at QB... :plzstop:
Watch those muh fuhs take Geno Smith. And I hope they do.
Our defense is set up to shut down those rely-on-your-legs QBs.
It'll be glorious.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good for Bruce Arians...The guy was the Rodney Dangerfield of Offensive Coordinators, he never received any respect. He Coordinated the Steelers who were able to win two Super Bowls under his watch and the guy could not get even an interview...Not even one stinking interview.

He leaves the Steelers and Steeler nation rejoices now they miss him more than ever having Todd Haley. Goes to the Colts and does a great job keeping the team together and was almost overlooked again as a Head Coach as the likes of Mike McCoy, Marc Trestman and Rob Chudzinski were getting jobs.

That being posted I wish him nothing but total failure and I hope he losses every game to the Rams, but beats the other teams in the division evey time he faces them. Arians will regret hiring Todd Bowles IMO as his DC.

jap

Legend
Time for Fish to start collecting his Coach of the Year awards beginning this upcoming season. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jap said:
Time for Fish to start collecting his Coach of the Year awards beginning this upcoming season. :ww:
They should just give it to him now and skip the formalities.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
jap said:
They should just give it to him now and skip the formalities.

I can't believe Leslie Frazier received more votes this year than Fisher... :roll:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
den-the-coach said:
Good for Bruce Arians...The guy was the Rodney Dangerfield of Offensive Coordinators, he never received any respect. He Coordinated the Steelers who were able to win two Super Bowls under his watch and the guy could not get even an interview...Not even one stiking interview.

He leaves the Steelers and Steeler nation rejoices now they miss him more than ever having Todd Haley. Goes to the Colts and does a great job keeping the team together and was almost overlooked again as a Head Coach as the likes of Mike McCoy, Marc Trestman and Rob Chudzinski were getting jobs.

That being posted I wish him nothing but total failure and I hope he losses every game to the Rams, but beats the other teams in the division evey time he faces them. Arians will regret hiring Todd Bowles IMO as his DC.

I couldn't believe how much shit Arians took in Pittsburgh. It was mostly b/c they refused to run the ball (which I was with to a point) but Mendenhall isn't Bettis, hell he wasn't even Willie Parker. So played to their strength's: Roethlisberger bombing it out to Wallace/Sanders/Brown. I agree...I miss the guy over there. Now he's in the Rams' division, which honestly don't even care. I'd rather have either the Rams or Cards win the division over the other 2.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm new to the board,but due to my geographical location i happen to have a pretty good grasp on whats right & wrong with our division rival Cardinals.

I cant speak on Arians,i simply dont know what this hire will mean for AZ,but i do know this....they fired GM Rod Graves,and IMO they have been incredibly stupid as a team on draft day for quite some time.

AZ has continually drafted almost exclusively skill positions at the top end of the early rounds for several years now:

Michael Floyd WR(1st)

Patrick Peterson CB(1st)
Ryan Williams RB(2nd)

Beanie Wells RB(1st)

Dominique-Rodgers-Cromartie CB(1st)
Early Doucet WR (3rd)

They've drafted a couple nice Defensive guys along the way with Dan Williams and Daryl Washington(1st and 2nd in 2010)....but they still are garbage on the OLine and weak on the DLine as a viable 3-4 pass rushing defense. Go figure.

Beanie wells is fragile and Ryan Williams might be a bust. They traded Rodgers-Cromartie and they haven't drafted a quality WR since Fitzgerald in '04 yet they still keep drafting skill guys at the top. Dumb.
Bad drafting. OLine sucks. Let 'em keep on sucking.

Look for AZ to to try to reach for a QB or RB again in 2013.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mojorizen7 said:
I'm new to the board,but due to my geographical location i happen to have a pretty good grasp on whats right & wrong with our division rival Cardinals.

I cant speak on Arians,i simply dont know what this hire will mean for AZ,but i do know this....they fired GM Rod Graves,and IMO they have been incredibly stupid as a team on draft day for quite some time.

AZ has continually drafted almost exclusively skill positions at the top end of the early rounds for several years now:

Michael Floyd WR(1st)

Patrick Peterson CB(1st)
Ryan Williams RB(2nd)

Beanie Wells RB(1st)

Dominique-Rodgers-Cromartie CB(1st)
Early Doucet WR (3rd)

They've drafted a couple nice Defensive guys along the way with Dan Williams and Daryl Washington(1st and 2nd in 2010)....but they still are garbage on the OLine and weak on the DLine as a viable 3-4 pass rushing defense. Go figure.

Beanie wells is fragile and Ryan Williams might be a bust. They traded Rodgers-Cromartie and they haven't drafted a quality WR since Fitzgerald in '04 yet they still keep drafting skill guys at the top. Dumb.
Bad drafting. OLine sucks. Let 'em keep on sucking.

Look for AZ to to try to reach for a QB or RB again in 2013.
I think Keim could be a good GM, and Arians should be a good coach. Hiring Tom Moore should bring some stability to that offense as well. The wildcard is going to be on defense for them. Does Bowles change them to a 4-3, keep the 3-4, or go hybrid? Looks like Bowles is gonna put Dockett back in his natural position on defense, so they're already starting to straighten things out.

They do need to solve their QB problem though, and quickly fix that O-line. Last year was a nightmare for that team with all the injuries to their O-line and quarterbacks, so I wouldn't sleep on them if they make a few key corrections, get a QB, and stay healthy. Our division is gonna be pretty sick for the foreseeable future if they get it right. And that bodes well for us.

Now, all that said, I hope they fuck it all up and the team implodes.