Cardinals cut LB Daryl Washington

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/cardinals-cut-daryl-washington/

Cardinals cut Daryl Washington
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2017

Former Pro Bowl linebacker Daryl Washington, age 30, is now a free agent.

The Cardinals announced today that they have released Washington, shortly after he received a conditional reinstatement from an indefinite substance-abuse suspension. The team said Washington met with team president Michael Bidwill, General Manager Steve Keim and coach Bruce Arians this week.

It remains to be seen whether any team will be interested in acquiring Washington, who still has to do some work within the league’s substance-abuse program before he can be reinstated in full.

Washington had an excellent season in 2012 and played well again in 2013, although he missed four games because of a substance-abuse suspension and was also arrested for assault that year. After the 2013 season he pled guilty to the assault, failed another drug test and has been suspended since.

The 30-year-old Washington may still be able to help some team’s defense, if teams think they can count on him off the field. That’s a big “if.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/daryl-washington-prepares-for-his-next-nfl-chapter/

Daryl Washington prepares for his next NFL chapter
Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2017

175090803-e1494525125129.jpg
Getty Images

Linebacker Daryl Washington has become a free agent. As he launches the next chapter of his NFL career, he has expressed appreciation to the only team for which he has played.

“I want to thank the Cardinals organization, especially Mr. Bidwell and Steve Keim for drafting and believing in me, and their continued support,” Washington said in a statement provided to PFT. “We’ve had some really positive and productive discussions this week, and at the end of the day we mutually agreed it was best for both sides to get a fresh start. I’m in the best shape of my life, and very much look forward to the next opportunity, where I will again play at an All-Pro level and help my team make a championship run.”

The Cardinals decided to release Washington after discussions with the player and negotiations with his representatives did not result in an agreement between the two sides. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Cardinals had interest in keeping Washington, but his anticipated role in light of the additions the team has made (including most recently the decision to select linebacker Haason Reddick with the 13th pick in the draft) prevented the two sides from identifying an arrangement that was suitable for the team and the player.

Washington instantly becomes a free agent, available to sign with any team. Although he’s now 30, Washington has only four seasons of NFL wear and tear, two of which resulted in Pro Bowl and All-Pro recognition. In a league of 32 teams that are constantly looking to improve, it’s hard to imagine Washington not getting a fair chance to show what he can still do, whatever that may specifically be.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
I mean it would be nice if Washington was focused on football and stays out of trouble because i am still struggling to see how Barron fits in our defense. But McVay has stated that he wants players of good character and i think he will stay away from potential risks

Ram65

Legend
He missed two years. Could have some life left in those legs. Could be motivated against the Cardinals. I doubt the Rams go after him. Not sure if he could play inside.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He missed two years. Could have some life left in those legs. Could be motivated against the Cardinals. I doubt the Rams go after him. Not sure if he could play inside.

Missed 3 years. Played inside at Arizona.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't care about the substance abuse if he's well into recovery. As I stated in the Gordon thread, I think it stinks that they care more about non-PED offenses than violent offenses.

Then again, Washington had an assault. Dunno the details, but if it was an altercation at a club, that's really, really different than hitting one's girlfriend/wife/baby mama.

Once again, the talent is there (we've certainly seen him play lights out against us) and he'd be a massive upgrade to our inside corps.

But do we do it? I'm thinking the answer is almost certainly, no.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pro bowler in 2012. Elite LB talent.
--------
Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 PM
Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleaded not guilty Monday in Maricopa County Superior Court to charges accusing him of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

The 26-year-old was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault on May 3 when he surrendered to police at his attorney’s office, police said.

Washington, who faces two counts of aggravated assault, invoked his right to remain silent and was booked into Fourth Avenue Jail.

Phoenix police said they began investigating Washington on May 1 after the 27-year-old mother of his baby called police saying Washington assaulted her at her apartment in Ahwatukee Foothills.

The woman told police that Washington pushed her with two hands, causing her to fall and break her right collarbone, according to court documents.

The argument started during a routine visit by Washington to the apartment complex near Warner Road and 48th Street, where the woman lives with Washington’s 5-month-old daughter, the documents said.

http://archive.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/free/20130520cardinals-linebacker-daryl-washington-accused-ahwatukee-assault-pleads-not-guilty.html

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No thanks. Three years out of the league coupled with off the field baggage is too much. He had the chance of a lifetime and he blew it. Obviously the NFL isn't his true focus. I would like them all to get one and done. That would send a message loud and clear to all current and future players. This is a golden opportunity to earn more money than they ever could dream of in another profession. Treat it like it is the most important thing, outside of family.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
If we try him out and Wade is confident. Sign me up!

I wouldn't demonize someone who made a mistake.... but I know I'm in the minority here.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Sounds like money is what kept Az from keeping him. Great talent when he was eligible - probably hungry - and maybe the piss and vinegar of youth is out of him and he can be a pro now. Still, I'd be hard pressed to give him much more than the league minimum, which is all Az was willing to do. Will be interesting to see how his market develops.