Cardinals confirm Carson Palmer will go on IR with torn ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I feel sorry for Palmer, dude just can't stay healthy. He could go so much farther, every time he's about to turn the corner though he gets injured. Gotta feel for the guy.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I feel sorry for Palmer, dude just can't stay healthy. He could go so much farther, every time he's about to turn the corner though he gets injured. Gotta feel for the guy.

Kind of sounds like another QB we all know!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
In a strategic sense, they improved our draft slot and now have a major concern entering the post season.

We lost our QB before the season started, they lost theirs while they pretty much have a Post season slot in the bag. My sympathy is very mild.

Not mention Stanton appears to have an arm. I'm actually kinda jelous of that fact...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Yeah, pretty freak deal without regard to exactly how it happened...Tough break for him and the Cards..I think their defense is good enough to help keep them afloat...As happens so many times, I cringed when he went down because that meant the Rams would make another back-up look like hall of pro QB...I call it the Elvis Grbak syndrome... His stock soared when he stepped in for Steve Young I believe it was (maybe Montana)...The Chiefs bit on that one and it cost them s small fortune with very little in return...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Injuries suck, but they are a part of the game. My Rams have had more than their share of injuries, so I really don't feel bad for any other fans experiencing it. This injury may open the door for San Francisco or Seattle to win the division. But after watching Bruce Arians complain and swear at the refs with every call, I really don't like that Dick and his team either. So if the Rams aren't winning their conference then I am not happy.

At least the Rams didn't celebrate the injury or shove Palmer when he was clearly headed out of bounds. It was a clean play on a guy with a bum knee. If the Rams don't find a new QB, then as Rams fans, we will be cringing, waiting for this to happen to Sam with every snap. His first ACL looked as innocuous as Palmers second.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's a mixed bag here for me, I never thought the cards would go 14-2 IOW matching their first half production in the second half and sort of doubt they now get HFA even with that lead .
As far as what this is going to do to them cap wise ,cuz I doubt Palmer ever comes back to close to what he was if in deed it is the ACL ,he's what? 35 where as Sam is 27 ,did we just create Sam's new home? Palmer was gun shy for some time after his first surgery and I think he will be again IOW I think h'es very likely never going to be the same.
Freak injury /injuries happen why? It's always been my belief it happens to a fatigued tissue wasn't Palmer the guy who chased Ogletree down on the int. was that the play that set the injury up?
I thought at the time they extended Palmers contract it was ill advised considering the shoulder nerve issue and Palmers age but am used to seeing that organization do some silly things .
Last random thought , although we got screwed on the crack back and a few other plays I still think had Palmer not gone down we'd have beaten the Cards, I think when we put him down we we let down and thought we had it won and they picked it up because they thought their season was on the line.
Srry for the rambling post .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As happens so many times, I cringed when he went down because that meant the Rams would make another back-up look like hall of pro QB...I call it the Elvis Grbak syndrome... His stock soared when he stepped in for Steve Young I believe it was (maybe Montana)...The Chiefs bit on that one and it cost them s small fortune with very little in return...

Good call, Mikey. (y)

,did we just create Sam's new home?

Freak injury /injuries happen why? It's always been my belief it happens to a fatigued tissue wasn't Palmer the guy who chased Ogletree down on the int. was that the play that set the injury up?

Excellent observations!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He missed 3 games this year (was due more to testing than injury) and only 1 other game in the last 5 years. Dont know how he gets the injury prone label
Its a shame he got hurt, and pretty crazy ironic that he just signed a new contract earlier in the week

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He missed 3 games this year (was due more to testing than injury) and only 1 other game in the last 5 years. Dont know how he gets the injury prone label
Its a shame he got hurt, and pretty crazy ironic that he just signed a new contract earlier in the week
Don't know about injury prone, but I'm talking about every time the guy is going to theoretically turn the corner on his career he gets injured. Like back on the Bengals when he got injured against the Steelers and held him back(With no help from the miser Mike Brown or the Raiders.) And just when things are going to look up for him, this. More unlucky than injury prone.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Yea, that sucks! I will never wish injury on anyone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know about injury prone, but I'm talking about every time the guy is going to theoretically turn the corner on his career he gets injured. Like back on the Bengals when he got injured against the Steelers and held him back(With no help from the miser Mike Brown or the Raiders.) And just when things are going to look up for him, this. More unlucky than injury prone.
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning missed more games due to injury then Palmer prior to this season. Not seeing your point.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning missed more games due to injury then Palmer prior to this season. Not seeing your point.
I don't see how? Well actually I do, you keep looking at this in the scheme of how many times people were injured when that's not what's being discussed. I even just said it's not about being injury prone, so I don't see why lengths of time of injury would warrant being brought up.

I said every time he's about to turn the corner, he gets injured. Like when he was red hot and taking the Bengals places before that Steelers game, which sidetracked his career, then now were here and he was looking to take the Cardinals places and now he's got that ACL injury. What do Brady's and Manning's injuries have to do with his bad luck when it comes to going down when he's red hot?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see how? Well actually I do, you keep looking at this in the scheme of how many times people were injured when that's not what's being discussed. I even just said it's not about being injury prone, so I don't see why lengths of time of injury would warrant being brought up.

I said every time he's about to turn the corner, he gets injured. Like when he was red hot and taking the Bengals places before that Steelers game, which sidetracked his career, then now were here and he was looking to take the Cardinals places and now he's got that ACL injury. What do Brady's and Manning's injuries have to do with his bad luck when it comes to going down when he's red hot?
He blew his knee out in that playoff game and went to the pro bowl the next season. I dont see how that side tracked his career
Palmer has been an iron man starter playing on lousy teams. The tone of your original post insinuates that he's hurt often, which is entirely untrue. I see it more like, the guy finally is playing for a winner and gets hurt, sucks for him. Sounds a lot different from your version

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I never want to see a player get injured, and due to what's happened to us regarding Bradford, now two years in a row, I can commiserate. This is not fun.

Also, I've been a fan of the Cardinals and their recent comeback into relevance. If there is another team that I can root for in this division, it would be them. Heck, this is a team that already has a history in St. Louis and a cool name and logo to boot.

But I'm glad someone else said it. Bruce Arians complained about some pretty obvious penalties. There was a pass interference in particular that I thought was so obvious that even a complete homer would have just said, "Yeah, Okay". Heck, I do it all the time and chalk it up to our defense's aggressiveness.

So after watching Arians rant, rave and carry on in a fashion that almost makes Harbaugh look like a real stand-up guy, I now have to say, freak Arians. I hope that his team plays well enough, but struggles at the end due to his quarterback situation, and he looks back on this game and chokes on the team that put him in this situation.

I really hope that we can come back from this and stomp the Cardinals in a similar fashion that causes them to fumble for loss after loss, and I hope Arians chokes on it and continues to choke on it until it all blows up in his face.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He blew his knee out in that playoff game and went to the pro bowl the next season. I dont see how that side tracked his career
Palmer has been an iron man starter playing on lousy teams. The tone of your original post insinuates that he's hurt often, which is entirely untrue. I see it more like, the guy finally is playing for a winner and gets hurt, sucks for him. Sounds a lot different from your version
I really don't see how it sounds that different from "Don't know about injury prone, but I'm talking about every time the guy is going to theoretically turn the corner on his career he gets injured. Like back on the Bengals when he got injured against the Steelers and held him back(With no help from the miser Mike Brown or the Raiders.) And just when things are going to look up for him, this. More unlucky than injury prone."

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They just signed Palmer to an extension, too. That's really bad timing lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/10/cardinals-confirm-carson-palmer-will-go-on-ir-with-torn-acl/

Cardinals confirm Carson Palmer will go on IR with torn ACL

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2014

carsonpalmer1.jpeg
AP

Carson Palmer’s season is over.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirmed today what was widely expected after Sunday’s game against the Rams: Palmer has suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and is done for the year. He will go on season-ending injured reserve.

If there’s any good news, it’s that Arians also confirmed that there is no damage to Palmer’s knee other than the torn ACL. Palmer will likely be ready to go for the start of next season, but this season is done.

The Cardinals, who have the best record in the NFL at 8-1, will now go forward with Drew Stanton as their starting quarterback the rest of the way. Stanton’s job won’t be easy, as the Cardinals have the Lions this week and then travel to Seattle next week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/10/carson-palmer-knew-immediately-he-had-torn-his-acl/

Carson Palmer knew immediately he had torn his ACL
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 10, 2014

Because he’s rehabbed a previous devastating knee injury, Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has a frame of reference.

So while the team waited a day to confirm the news of his torn ACL via an MRI, he didn’t need it.

Palmer told reporters today that he “felt a pop,” and knew immediately his season was over as he was being carted off yesterday.

The 34-year-old quarterback also admitted the frustration of losing a chance to lead a team to the playoffs, as the Cardinals are 8-1 and could control home field advantage all the way to the Super Bowl if they keep it up.

He said the “toughest part is that I’m having more fun now than I’ve ever had in my career,” and that this was the best team he had been a part of.

Palmer said he “cried like a baby,” last night, the first time he had wept since learning the news of the death of former teammate Chris Henry.
But at the same time, he’s also aware of the business implications of what happened to him yesterday. Though he just signed a three-year contract extension with the team last week, he also knows this injury could compromise that.

“I’m going to play football again. I hope it is here,” he said. “I just know how this business works. The team will do what is best for them. They should. Hope I’m part of it.”

Having been around so long, that awareness of the uncertainty has to hurt as much as his knee at the moment.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's a bloody shame. I always liked Palmer, back to his Cincinnati days. Hope he comes back healthy and plays out that new contract.

On a side note, it's weird for me to think of him as an older veteran player.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Reminds me of what happened to the Texans a few years ago when they seemed to finally have it put together where they lost their qb's and T.J. Yates led them to a playoff win. Who knows how far they would have gone without Schaub getting hurt. I see the Cards making the playoffs and maybe winning a game. They need home field now in the playoffs. This second half they have some hard games so we will see how much Palmer means to them. Tough test against the Lions this week.

ram007

Starter
Exhibit A: Palmer said he “cried like a baby,” last night, the first time he had wept since learning the news of the death of former teammate Chris Henry.

Before any fan from any team wish an injury on player understand that all players are human irrespective of money they are making. Evidence is exhibit A above.