Cardinals add Kurt Warner to Ring of Honor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cardinals add Kurt Warner to Ring of Honor
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 18, 2014

kurtwarnerpackers.jpg

Getty Images

Kurt Warner, the quarterback who led the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl appearance, will be inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor.

The Cardinals announced today that Warner’s name will officially be added to the Ring of Honor at a ceremony during their Week One opener against the Chargers on Monday Night Football.

Warner said he has felt great loyalty to the Cardinals since they signed him in 2005, when he had started just 16 games over the previous three seasons with the Giants and Rams, throwing 10 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions. Warner was generally viewed as past his prime and nothing more than a veteran backup when he arrived in Arizona, but he thrived once he became the Cardinals’ starter.

“The Cardinals gave me an opportunity at a time when not many teams were going to give me an opportunity,” Warner said. “When somebody takes a chance on you and gives you an opportunity, you want to live up to that.”

Cardinals President Michael Bidwill praised Warner for his contributions to the team and to all of Arizona.

“It’s not only about the way he performed on the field and the class that he performed on the field, but also what he’s done off the field,” Bidwill said. “He and his family live in Arizona. We’re excited about what he continues to do in the community and makes such a positive impact.”

This may not be the biggest honor Warner receives in the year ahead: He will be eligible to be elected to the 2015 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Why is he not in the Rams ring of fame? This is a shame. And why has his number not been retired yet? Come on man!!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Rams need to make up with Kurt and do the same thing. You can't tell the Rams' history without Kurt Warner.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
It rankles me a bit that he seems to forget that the Rams also gave him a chance when no one else would...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No matter how much I still wanted him on the Rams, Martz dumped him. But then he wasn't that honest with himself or the team about his hand...AND, why couldn't anyone figure out to say to him
"Hey Kurt, you might get a better grip throwing with a glove...":mad:

Anyway, we deserted him, and he ended getting the respect he deserved in AZ, and we can't change that.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Leaving the whole Warner/Bulger/Martz thing aside, because everyone has set in stone opinions on it and nothing anyone says is going to make a difference to anyone else at this point, I'll just say two things.

1. I have no problem with Warner accepting honors from the Cardinals just like no Colts fan should have a problem with Marshall accepting honors from us.

2. We need to add Warner to our Ring of Honor and retire his number yesterday.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Old Ownership/FO (Georgia & Co.) burned the bridge... Time for the New Ownership/FO (Stan & Co.) to rebuild it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Leaving the whole Warner/Bulger/Martz thing aside, because everyone has set in stone opinions on it and nothing anyone says is going to make a difference to anyone else at this point, I'll just say two things.

1. I have no problem with Warner accepting honors from the Cardinals just like no Colts fan should have a problem with Marshall accepting honors from us.

2. We need to add Warner to our Ring of Honor and retire his number yesterday.
Maybe it will happen when he goes into the HOF next year?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I still think its distasteful for Givens to wear #13. Half the people at the games still have #13 jerseys.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's bittersweet but I am glad to see him get that. It's well deserved and maybe this'll open some eyes in STL. Demoff is responsive to fans needs and desires so maybe he will be moved by the Cardinals lead.

13 should be retired by both ball clubs because he did things for each that had never been done before and the fashion in which he did them, the dignity, leadership and class, is unmatched.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In fact now that I think about it someone should forward this article to KD.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As well they should.
This is a radar that represent the success of the St Louis/Arizona Cardinals. If you look closely there's a small red blip on the left. That's Kurt Warner.
th

*No offense to the native St Louis Cardinals fans.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Really hard to read this. Hey Kevin, we have a few more questions for you when you finally come to visit us here at ROD ;)

Slappy967

Starter
Why is he not in the Rams ring of fame? This is a shame. And why has his number not been retired yet? Come on man!!!

This is a wrong that was let go during the Spags era but it's time for us to do the right thing and retire the number, put Kurt in the ring of honor and extend ANY other olive branch we can. He may see himself a more of a Cardinal now but his Cinderella story happened in blue and gold.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is a wrong that was let go during the Spags era but it's time for us to do the right thing and retire the number, put Kurt in the ring of honor and extend ANY other olive branch we can. He may see himself a more of a Cardinal now but his Cinderella story happened in blue and gold.

?