Cardale Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. I do hate Ohio State but not enough to skew my evaluations on players at the next level. The NFL is when you turn the page. Otherwise I wouldn't have supported Laurinitis the last few years, until this one. I was excited about the potential of Christian Bryant too. And there are a few guys on that team this year that I really like a lot, especially the DBs, and would love to have them on the Rams. I watch enough of Ohio State games to see through the hype. Teams like OSU, and Notre Dame annually have good recruiting classes, good rosters, and success on the field. But their players often get overhyped because of the media attention and overexposure.

I really don't understand the love for Jones. There have been similar QBs fail in the NFL and he has proven less than they have. He has a big arm. So what. Jamarcus Russell had a big arm. First and foremost he has to have the mental acuity and the synapse to get the job done. I don't see where he has proven to do so. Maybe the trouble is not my hate for OhioState, but your love for it.
Respectfully, I think it would be better if we leave hate, and love out of it for argument sake, and just take the word of the person giving their opinion.

Cardale, IMO, will be drafted, and he has as much potential as any QB in this draft. His knowledge of the game, and knowing what he was asked to do, and not speculating on that point, will determine his draft fate. NFL staffs won't speculate, they will ask him, and investigate, and find out what he knows, and what he was asked to do. They will also study every play, and he has some good tape out there, as well as some bad.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe a late 1st round pick is not me saying he should be a 1st round pick. Tebow was a 1st round pick and shouldn't have been. It is possible that Jones gets drafted in the 1st - I think it would be a mistake - but it's possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The mental game is the most important part of QB success. Meyer's handling of the QB position last year was not conducive to his starting QB building confidence and having success. Even Barrett was FAR less effective in 2015.

I see it a little differently. Meyer is one of the best if not the best at simplifying the game for his QB and producing a balanced attack and that is one of the reasons guys like Tebow--who were not up to snuff mentally for the NFL--played so well for him. So IMO struggling in Meyer's offense is going to be an enormous flag for every NFL team.

I think his raw talent does get him drafted. Really hard to say where he goes but I agree with Champ that he will be drafted by a team that can put him in their program and let him learn. Hackenburg is the same deal, I could see him going to a team like the Pats.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I see it a little differently. Meyer is one of the best if not the best at simplifying the game for his QB and producing a balanced attack and that is one of the reasons guys like Tebow--who were not up to snuff mentally for the NFL--played so well for him. So IMO struggling in Meyer's offense is going to be an enormous flag for every NFL team.

I think his raw talent does get him drafted. Really hard to say where he goes but I agree with Champ that he will be drafted by a team that can put him in their program and let him learn. Hackenburg is the same deal, I could see him going to a team like the Pats.

My perspective differs a bit from than both of you.

Jrry32..... I get your point about Meyers lack of credibility in developing NFL QBs. I share that thought. The best has been Alex Smith and it took awhile for him to develop in a top 12 QB. The rest have been pretty big failures in terms of the pros.

Merlin.....I think you are partially correct about how Myers trains QBs THAT he recruits. His recruits are run/ pass QBs with an emphasis on run. Jones and Hackenberg were in systems that did not fit there skills set. They were pro style QBs who were put in read option systems. Jones after he committed and Hackenberg after his freshman year. They both stayed.
My perspective is based on the following;

Jones committed to Ohio State University in October 2011. In order to improve his academic standing, Jones attended Fork Union Military Academy for a semester prior to his enrollment at Ohio State University in January 2012.

On November 22, 2011, Bill Greene of Scout.com reported that Meyer would become the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes.[62] Meyer denied the report publicly.[63] Meyer then asked ESPN to be taken off assignment during the weekend of the Ohio State–Michigan game, adding more to the speculations that he might be named the next head coach of Ohio State.[64][65] On November 28, WBNS Columbus, confirmed that Meyer had accepted the job as Ohio State's head football coach, and was introduced as head coach later that night.
C Jones and Hackenberg were not an E Myers nor a James Franklin type of recruits. Different type of QB that he recruit and trained, Myers Kept him because of the recruiting pipeline. Jones and Hackenberg will be a much better pros.

fearsomefour

Legend
I am sure he will combine off the charts.
Interesting prospect, but so raw, would have to be a place where he can sit. A mid round guy? Maybe. Will someone reach for him....drafting him way above what he has proven? Probably.
Now, if the guy does not combine well he will probably fall like a rock.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Gets to day 3 he gets picked on potential alone. He's a guy that unless he lights it up in preseason that can be stashed on the PS which might be the best for him. It's decision making that's holding him back, he's got to get the hesitation out of his game.