Car/Engine/Manufacturer Recall issue - HELP!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
So I am financed a 2015 Kia Optima just under 3 years ago for my daily driver.
Heading out the other day, I began to hear a weird clicking sound from the engine. Googled it on YouTube and an hour later my local mechanic broke the bad news. There is a piece of the fuel pump (Cam roller?) that has broken off and is now rattling inside my engine. Towed it to the dealer and they are going to check it out. On the way there, I called and the mechanic there said it is a common issue and part of a recall.

When I spoke to someone at the dealership they said they would contact Kia to "open up a case" and I may need to provide my maintenance records. The vehicle has about 65k miles on it. I get the oil changed at least every 3 to 6 months. (But have done it myself a few times as well) I have a sinking feeling that for some reason they are going to say my engine is shot, AND they can't help me and I'm stuck paying for a car that I can't drive.

Anyone know what options I have here??? I'm HOPING they cover it. But I'm a 'glass half empty' kind of guy and am worrying myself sick over here. What should/can I do?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thats low miles, too.

Seems like you should have been notified, somehow.

Psycho_X

Legend
If they force the oil change proof situation see if you can at least find receipts or credit card purchases for filters and oil. If you bought that stuff from a local auto store they might be able to provide you with invoices dating back several years especially if you have an account with them. That's one good thing about using an auto store like that instead of buying your supplies from somewhere like WalMart.

I did a quick googlefu and found this at top but there's a few other articles when searching "Engine recall with no service records". Seems to be a thing with Hyundai and Kia lol.

From personal experience, not Kia but GM mostly, they might try and fight ya but be persistent and if you end up having to call their customer service don't end at the first person you talk to because they are trained to get rid of you. Be persistent and keep climbing the ladder if you keep getting denied. I know people who have had to do that and while they don't always get 100% reimbursement a lot of times you can work out a deal for a percentage off based on the age of vehicle and how long the factory warranties are supposed to be. But being this is an actual recall it shouldn't be that hard but you never know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they force the oil change proof situation see if you can at least find receipts or credit card purchases for filters and oil. If you bought that stuff from a local auto store they might be able to provide you with invoices dating back several years especially if you have an account with them. That's one good thing about using an auto store like that instead of buying your supplies from somewhere like WalMart.

I did a quick googlefu and found this at top but there's a few other articles when searching "Engine recall with no service records". Seems to be a thing with Hyundai and Kia lol.

From personal experience, not Kia but GM mostly, they might try and fight ya but be persistent and if you end up having to call their customer service don't end at the first person you talk to because they are trained to get rid of you. Be persistent and keep climbing the ladder if you keep getting denied. I know people who have had to do that and while they don't always get 100% reimbursement a lot of times you can work out a deal for a percentage off based on the age of vehicle and how long the factory warranties are supposed to be. But being this is an actual recall it shouldn't be that hard but you never know.
This^^^

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A great website is https://www.carcomplaints.com/

It is an independently run website. They post all recalls, current issues and lawsuits regarding manufacturers & models. You may find some good information there.

I used it when my 2008 Xterra‘s transmission went out before 100k. Faulty coolant ring leaked coolant into the transmission, and tranny fluid into the radiator. Ruined both. The NHSA (national highway safety administration) was on the edge of a full recall, problem was it was typically after the 5 year mark. Nissan stuck it the customers. Moving forward I’ll never purchase a Nissan again.

Sorry for the vent.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I used it when my 2008 Xterra‘s transmission went out before 100k.
Dat soon?

Drums Eye Roll GIF

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Psycho.... Some great info.

Thanks for the support fellas. This sucks

Psycho_X

Legend
Thank you, Psycho.... Some great info.

Thanks for the support fellas. This sucks
It does suck, I don't envy you having to deal with it. Hopefully the recall will make it as pain free as possible. Good luck!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
About 20 years ago I bought a new Chevy Malibu. The warranty expired in 5 years. Not long after that it started losing coolant. Turned out the intake manifold was faulty. I was lucky we caught it before the engine was damaged. The dealer said although it was not under warranty they would send the bill to General Motors.

Apparently there was a problem with those manifolds and a lawyer firm was attempting to file a class action lawsuit and force a recall. So GM quietly told dealers they would take care of it even after the warranty expires. I didn't pay anything to have it fixed and there was no recall. Maybe you can do some research and find out if there is anything pending out there regarding a recall or if the manufacturer will pay all or part of it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
About 20 years ago I bought a new Chevy Malibu. The warranty expired in 5 years. Not long after that it started losing coolant. Turned out the intake manifold was faulty. I was lucky we caught it before the engine was damaged. The dealer said although it was not under warranty they would send the bill to General Motors.

Apparently there was a problem with those manifolds and a lawyer firm was attempting to file a class action lawsuit and force a recall. So GM quietly told dealers they would take care of it even after the warranty expires. I didn't pay anything to have it fixed and there was no recall. Maybe you can do some research and find out if there is anything pending out there regarding a recall or if the manufacturer will pay all or part of it.
They did the same thing for me with my Chevy Blazer. It was out of warranty when the transmission went out. No official recall but they knew they had a problem and just replaced the tranny for no charge. But of course, GM is a US company.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
TAKE IT TO SOCIAL MEDIA

I cannot stress enough how important it is to do this

make sure to @ the manufacturer and post the full story along with how upset you are on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram if you have those. Make sure to post on THEIR page on Facebook which means anyone following that company will see this.

I've seen how people have had companies stonewall them for YEARS via direct contact and with one post on Twitter or Facebook (I dunno bout "the gram"), the company reached out IMMEDIATELY. This involves everything from a health care system stopping cancer treatments after they fucked up some paperwork to a spice company that had worms in their spices (that one happened to me. I called their number and nothing... I posted on Facebook on their page and 1) they IMMEDIATELY contacted me by phone (I gave them my number in a DM), 2) they actually told me the problem and 3) they sent me free of charge a very large assortment of spices and rubs which were all pretty good... and all worm free... they'd contracted out a warehouse and the warehouse let water intrusion happen and it ruined a ton of their product)

The one good thing about Gen Z being so transactional is that they've made clear that if you don't help them, they'll pull their money and find an alternative. Brand loyalty is considered for suckers amongst the youth and we've seen brands that NEVER had quality issues have terrible issues as of late, so they're on to something with this.

This makes brands HYPER sensitive about things going wrong on social media.

So take it to social media. Make a LONG post on Facebook. Make a full thread on Twitter.

It's amazing how in 2022, the fastest way to get a manufacturer's attention isn't to call them direct, it's to put them on blast on social media.

Ultimately, you want satisfaction for your situation and in this, the year of our Lord 2022 anno domini... that way is social media. /shrug

Best of luck in resolving this!!! Keep us informed.

oldnotdead

Legend
The engines used in the Kia Optima are Hyundai engines which is why the same defect shows up in both. The worst one is the 2L that is used in the Hyundai Sonata. I had a Sonata that the engine self-destructed on the freeway. Got a totally new engine via their 100K warranty. It happened at 63K.

That was the car my ex bought before the divorce and since it was still unpaid it ended up on my half of the settlement while she got my paid for Grand Cherokee. Sold the Hyundai and have gone back to strictly American cars as I have since the late 80's. My best friend had a Audi and kept making excuses for all the shop time. My nephew drives an Audi and everything is expensive and strictly dealer parts. My sister drives a Lexus and it has been in the shop as much as it's been out.

My '86 Toyota almost killed me with a manufacturing defect. I asked them for a replacement and they refused. I sued them and won and bought my house in La Costa from the award which included punitive damages. Of course, my ex got that in the divorce too. Never get divorced in CA the statutes are biased against the husband.