Can We Sniff Out Which WR's The Rams Will Be Considering?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Knowing what we know so far about McVay,which prospects fit his criteria?
from what I have gathered he prefers the Heady,Disiplined route runner types.
I got to believe it will be someone who can take the top off a defense as well.
Or are we looking at that big play TE?

I usually do a better job of keeping up with prospects.I have been a bit slack this year.
So I was hoping some of you Guys could help me out.What say you Gentlemen?

@jrry32 @den-the-coach

EDIT: just wanted to add a link that some of you guys already use.
But in case you haven't,Its got some good film breakdown on alot
of prospects
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This is Jrry's world, however, Zay Jones (who @jrry32 has posted highly about) seems to fit the McVay profile.

To say "Zay" grew up in a football family would be an understatement. His father, Robert, played linebacker in the NFL, winning three Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990's. His uncle, Jeff Blake, played quarterback in the NFL for 14 years, most notably with the Cincinnati Bengals. Jones' brother, Cayleb was a receiver at Texas and Arizona, as well. Both his father and uncle played at East Carolina. Jones has made his own name with the Pirates, though, setting the NCAA record for most receptions in a career (399) and the single-season record with 158 catches in 2016 (for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns). He was a first or second-team All-American by most media outlets this fall, along with first-team All-American Athletic Conference. Jones was a second-team All-ACC choice in 2015 with 98 catches for 1,099 yards and five scores. His football IQ and athletic genes helped him start in his first two seasons, as well (62-604, five TD in 2013; 81-830, five TD, also 24-447 on kick returns in 2014).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/zay-jones?id=2557863

For the record his dad played for the Rams from 96-97 and seems to be the type of player that could be exactly what the Doctor ordered for Goff & company.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is Jrry's world, however, Zay Jones (who @jrry32 has posted highly about) seems to fit the McVay profile.

To say "Zay" grew up in a football family would be an understatement. His father, Robert, played linebacker in the NFL, winning three Super Bowls with the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990's. His uncle, Jeff Blake, played quarterback in the NFL for 14 years, most notably with the Cincinnati Bengals. Jones' brother, Cayleb was a receiver at Texas and Arizona, as well. Both his father and uncle played at East Carolina. Jones has made his own name with the Pirates, though, setting the NCAA record for most receptions in a career (399) and the single-season record with 158 catches in 2016 (for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns). He was a first or second-team All-American by most media outlets this fall, along with first-team All-American Athletic Conference. Jones was a second-team All-ACC choice in 2015 with 98 catches for 1,099 yards and five scores. His football IQ and athletic genes helped him start in his first two seasons, as well (62-604, five TD in 2013; 81-830, five TD, also 24-447 on kick returns in 2014).

For the record his dad played for the Rams from 96-97 and seems to be the type of player that could be exactly what the Doctor ordered for Goff & company.
Thanks coach.Gonna start watching his film.
http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Zay+Jones

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to say with certainty because we don't know what McVay thinks of our current WRs. Does he see Tavon and Mike Thomas a legitimate deep threats? If so, he might go for another possession type. If not, he might want a deep threat. I'd say just look for talented WRs with positive character traits (unfortunately, that likely means no Zamora) and go from there.

Off the top of my head, I think we'll consider:
John Ross (likely gone)
Zay Jones
Chris Godwin
Juju Smith
K.D. Cannon
Amara Darboh
Chad Hansen
Josh Reynolds
Evan Engram
Mack Hollins

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My preference is a TE that fits well in a McVay style 3 TE set. A guy who is a high caliber receiver, great hands, runs nice routes and an under-rated blocker. I run to the podium if this guy happens to fall to us in the 2'nd.
This video is a bit long winded, but the guy offers a fair assessment of what you will get with David Njoku :

Njoku & Higbee on the field would be quite a dual threat.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRtBYho9Jg

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
My preference is a TE that fits well in a McVay style 3 TE set. A guy who is a high caliber receiver, great hands, runs nice routes and an under-rated blocker. I run to the podium if this guy happens to fall to us in the 2'nd.
This video is a bit long winded, but the guy offers a fair assessment of what you will get with David Njoku :

Njoku & Higbee on the field would be quite a dual threat.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRtBYho9Jg

Yep.
I have seen where OJ Howard is rated higher.but
when I read where some aren't sure he has a true love for
the game,I started reading on Njoku.I like what I have read
and Just getting ready to watch some film on him.

Zero

Pro Bowler
It's hard to say with certainty because we don't know what McVay thinks of our current WRs. Does he see Tavon and Mike Thomas a legitimate deep threats? If so, he might go for another possession type. If not, he might want a deep threat. I'd say just look for talented WRs with positive character traits (unfortunately, that likely means no Zamora) and go from there.

Off the top of my head, I think we'll consider:
John Ross (likely gone)
Zay Jones
Chris Godwin
Juju Smith
K.D. Cannon
Amara Darboh
Chad Hansen
Josh Reynolds
Evan Engram
Mack Hollins
Thanks Jrry.Gonna try to dig into some of these guys on film.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@Riverumbbq
Holy freakin crap.Only watched one game so far,
but this guy is something.We HAVE to get this guy in Horns
somehow,someway.Geez.Thanks for the info Bro.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/david-njoku-vs-pittsburgh-2016/

I know. Different positions, but I got the same chill up my spine when Jason Pierre-Paul was playing in college. I'm getting worried about this guy reaching our 2'nd round slot in the draft, but he's a player, that's for sure, ... and only a sophomore.

Imagine this guy & Higbee on the field together ?

Zero

Pro Bowler
I know. Different positions, but I got the same chill up my spine when Jason Pierre-Paul was playing in college. I'm getting worried about this guy reaching our 2'nd round slot in the draft, but he's a player, that's for sure, ... and only a sophomore.

Imagine this guy & Higbee on the field together ?
I have seen him going in low 20's in mocks.Which really sucks.
"Imagine this guy & Higbee on the field together ?" That would be beyond nasty.
Need to go get this guy.somehow

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Knowing what we know so far about McVay,which prospects fit his criteria?
from what I have gathered he prefers the Heady,Disiplined route runner types.
I got to believe it will be someone who can take the top off a defense as well.
Or are we looking at that big play TE?

I usually do a better job of keeping up with prospects.I have been a bit slack this year.
So I was hoping some of you Guys could help me out.What say you Gentlemen?

@jrry32 @den-the-coach

EDIT: just wanted to add a link that some of you guys already use.
But in case you haven't,Its got some good film breakdown on alot
of prospects
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/
Great Link! I didn't have it!!(y)(y):D There are a lot of really good WR prospects in this years draft! I have 25 on my Big Board and that's not counting TE's!:mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Talk about a great "Blood-Line"!!(y)(y):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Njoku is going in the first round.
I think we could see 3 TE's go in the 1st round, and that, on average, would be a lot! I have 15 TE's on my board and only 3 could make it past the 5th round and that's "Iffy"!

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
They've really kept draft info a secret vault-----only guy that I've seen that they met with at the combine is TE Howard. I think they take WR with the 2nd, unless a projected 1st round talent unexpectedly drops, so I see Godwin or Jones. Both guys have above-average speed but are not "burners", run good routes, and catch the ball. Godwin and Jones have really moved up the charts in the draft process. As for TE, I think we go more for a combo guy a la Kendricks---the only blocking TE now is Harkey; Higbee still needs work on his inline blocking.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay is going to favor route running ability first I think in terms of fit. Wideouts will slate roughly based on measurable vs production, but the Rams will have the route runners elevated a bit and will probably steer clear of the raw types. So guys from teams like Baylor for example are longshots unless they think the guy is going to be a quick study based on workout, chalkboard, etc.

Hands will be important too, and catch radius. He has mentioned those things in interviews wrt current players, so I think it is something he is very conscious of.

So highlight the route runners with good catch radius. Demote the raw types, focus drop types, and divas. What is left will probably closely mirror the Rams' board in how they're stacking things. Speed and athleticism are of course important in where guys are slated, too, but will be adjusted on the above IMO.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope that they get Amara Darboh. He's a very talented receiver out of Michigan. 6'2", great hands, underrated speed.