Can We Find A Place For Aaron Donald On This Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I recommend watching all of it. I can't believe a guy was handled in a game where he could have realistically sacked the QB 5 times.
Could have? So what's the DID have? FSU's QB passed 25/27 for over 350 yds AND they had 156 yards rushing. If the guy was handled at all by a Guard that likely won't even get drafted, I dunno. What top guards did he play against? As far as I can see, he rarely had to. And from the tape I watched, it appeared FSU's O-line was actually handling him fairly well. I just don't see him pancaking many NFL linemen and if he has go to hand battling, I really don't think he wins that one very often.

You watch much more tape on these guys. I just don't see what you are seeing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
His first step and initial quickness is absurd and insane. Combine that with a strong swim move and elite closing speed and this guy's going to burst through some NFL O-lines and make plays. Dominated the senior bowl practices and the game against future NFL O-linemen.
I guess I just don't put a lot of merit in the Senior Bowl. Even many of the top seniors aren't there. If we take him - I hope you're right. I just see far better impact players for this team right now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh. And the winner of the Heisman is always a star in the NFL. Not saying he's not really good. But....

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
WHY DON'T YOU JUST COME OUT AND SAY YOU HATE SAM BRADFORD STU?! WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU'RE HINTING AT!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He had the best overall day at the combine on Monday where is he going to be drafted? Is he good enough to outweigh the Rams needs in the second round? I think the needs are OT/OG S CB and then others, have to see what FA brings.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He had the best overall day at the combine on Monday where is he going to be drafted? Is he good enough to outweigh the Rams needs in the second round? I think the needs are OT/OG S CB and then others, have to see what FA brings.

There is not a remote chance in hell he makes it to the second round.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I trust in Snisher to draft the right players for the team. Just better be the ones I like! :)

wrstdude

Rookie
Sorry to bump an old thread that went 6 pages, but go ahead and assign me to the Donald @ 13 camp. Robinson @ 2 and Donald @ 13 would make me very happy.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I would love having Donald. He would be able to provide devastating pass rush and rotate at DT. Long, Brockers, Donald, Quinn would create havoc.
On the other hand if the rams can get Dennard or Gibson...it would give the rams the ability to blitz and play tight man coverage without fear of getting burned on the back end. I think rams need more help in the secondary than at DT. I think you can find a pass rushing DT in the late 2nd round or early 3rd.

Last edited:

wrstdude

Rookie
Not to turn it into a circular argument, but it could be argued that a better/improved pass rush would put less pressure on the on the secondary. They don't have to cover as long; passing offenses have to resort to what Denver looked like against Seattle. He's not just helping the secondary. As a one gap defender in William's D he's causing all kinds of problems for the run game too.

You can't find a pass rushing DT in the late 2nd or early 3rd that's comparable to Donald though. His tape is off the chart along w/ his measurables. 1.59 10 yard split? He's in the backfield at will and will only get better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to turn it into a circular argument, but it could be argued that a better/improved pass rush would put less pressure on the on the secondary. They don't have to cover as long; passing offenses have to resort to what Denver looked like against Seattle. He's not just helping the secondary. As a one gap defender in William's D he's causing all kinds of problems for the run game too.

You can't find a pass rushing DT in the late 2nd or early 3rd that's comparable to Donald though. His tape is off the chart along w/ his measurables. 1.59 10 yard split? He's in the backfield at will and will only get better.
The real problem I saw with that is if we are still giving a huge buffer to the receiver. Williams will hopefully change that but if a team can throw that practically guaranteed five yard pass like we saw last year all too much, NO pass rush will be very effective. Compare our sack totals last season to the year before. IMO, our pass rush was actually better but our secondary - the way it was playing for whatever reason - was incapable of giving the rush time to get there even with Quinn becoming a total animal.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

The real problem I saw with that is if we are still giving a huge buffer to the receiver. Williams will hopefully change that but if a team can throw that practically guaranteed five yard pass like we saw last year all too much, NO pass rush will be very effective. Compare our sack totals last season to the year before. IMO, our pass rush was actually better but our secondary - the way it was playing for whatever reason - was incapable of giving the rush time to get there even with Quinn becoming a total animal.

The pressure was just fine. The secondary was shit at times because Finnegan sucked, the safety play was terrible, and Jenkins bites on the double every time. I still think 21 did ok, and in the future will end up being a pro bowl caliber player. All that shit needs to be gone next year though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The pressure was just fine. The secondary was crap at times because Finnegan sucked, the safety play was terrible, and Jenkins bites on the double every time. I still think 21 did ok, and in the future will end up being a pro bowl caliber player. All that crap needs to be gone next year though.
I think a good part of why JJ bit so much was BECAUSE he was being asked to play off. If you don't bite, you are still 5 yards off the receiver waiting for him to make the next move. I think he has very good instincts and ability to stay with receivers. I like 22 a lot too though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a good part of why JJ bit so much was BECAUSE he was being asked to play off. If you don't bite, you are still 5 yards off the receiver waiting for him to make the next move. I think he has very good instincts and ability to stay with receivers. I like 22 a lot too though.

Agreed. Jenkins is an aggressive player, when you don't let him play up on the WR, he's going to try and compensate...that lead him to overcompensating.

He made some bad plays in 2013 but I still believe in him and hope we utilize him better in 2014.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I agree. It would be like drafting Dennard and having him play 10 yards off. Thats not there game. Press is where it is at for them. Don't see how Walton didn't understand that.

wrstdude

Rookie
I'm assuming the coverage scheme will be different w/ Williams as DC since he loves to bring the blitz so much. Can't bring pressure and leave WRs to run hot routes free.

Regardless, I want Donald.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Would love to have Donald, just think we have bigger needs that we can grab in the 1st instead of DT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming the coverage scheme will be different w/ Williams as DC since he loves to bring the blitz so much. Can't bring pressure and leave WRs to run hot routes free.

Regardless, I want Donald.

Tim Walton begs to differ.