Can We Find A Place For Aaron Donald On This Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, who did he play? Miami, USF, Virginia were his best competition? He did not look special in that FSU clip you posted. I think he ends up being average against NFL offensive linemen. Once someone gets their hands on him he is neutralized most of the time.

That's simply not true.

He didn't look special? He drew...what...1 or 2 penalties and hit the QB four or five times while sacking him once as well as blowing up at least 3 running plays in the back-field. And that's not special? Ok, can you point me to what is "special" play for a DT? Or better yet, above average play for a DT since you called his performance against the eventual National Champion "average"?

The rams need to add talent to the secondary, including CB.
You can always add a smaller pass rushing DT in the 3rd or 4th round. It would be wasting a top 15 pick by taking a DT that is a situational type player. When the rams trade down, if the top CB in the entire draft is available, draft said CB. Donald was very good in college but will struggle in the NFL. CB/Safety are greater concerns for the rams than a DT that is not needed to start

Will he? Because I think he'll be one of the NFL's best pass rushing DTs and is much more than a rotational player.

laramsoriginal

Starter
when Donald is sitting there in the middle of the second round, sure lets take a gamble on the kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey fellas, just thought I'd post this here:
  • Pittsburgh defensive lineman Aaron Donald wasn't expected to weigh in at a "traditional" defensive tackle size, but at 6'0" an 7/10 of an inch and 288 pounds, he was the most impressive physical specimen on the North squad. His shoulders and arms are bulky and defined and his lower half is massive.
That's from the Senior Bowl weigh in. Donald weighed in at 6'1" 288. Bigger than expected. About the same size as John Randle and Geno Atkins. Here's a couple tweets from Day 1 on him:

Donald was matched up with Baylor guard Cyril Richardson, who many consider to be a fringe first-round pick and one of the top guards in the class, and the Pitt star was able to outwork him on numerous reps.

Every time Donald would go up for a rep, you would see someone at the Senior Bowl praising the move he was able to pull off and Richardson was often the victim.

Donald displayed a number of moves to get past the offensive linemen during one-on-ones and he was certainly one of the big winners on the day. It will be interesting to see if Donald can continue to dominate throughout the week.
http://fansided.com/2014/01/20/senior-bowl-2014-aaron-donald-shines-1-1s-day-1/

Alan

Legend
I'm not a big fan when it comes to one on one pass rushing drills. Especially when guards are involved. If the guard had the ability to control guys trying to run around them they'd be tackles. Knowing they have to try and prevent that probably affects their balance. Let's see him do that in the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
69yxi.gif

laramsoriginal

Starter
Richardson was not even set. Donald is very quick, rich was surprised by donalds quickness. Poor technique by rich

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some more info on Donald:
DT Aaron Donald, Pitt - Was even better than expected. He was matched up with Baylor G Cyril Richardson throughout the practice. Richardson has four inches on Donald and nearly 50 pounds. Yet, Donald whipped him all day long. In run fit 1-on-1 Richardson didn’t win one time. In pass rush, 1-on-1 Donald literally knocked Richardson on his backside. During team drills, Donald was so quick off the ball that CSU C Weston Richburg couldn’t even get a hand on him. Hopefully, Donald will get to face a few of the other North OL throughout the week.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46053/351/senior-bowl-notes-monday?pg=2

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Walterfootballs coverage of the Senior Bowl

"Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald (6-0, 288) has a some serious muscle in his chest and arms. He has a huge upper body, and scouts were talking about how he looked stout. Unfortunately, Donald is probably maxed out in terms of weight. He still is very strong for his size and looks like he spends a lot of time in the weight room. "

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like him a lot, not sure Fish does, but don't know what not to like.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Size, height, and ability to bulk up or push the pocket in the NFL?
6'1" 288 is a little short for the guys that we have gone after in the Fisher/Snead era. I have no problem with him. He has, push, pop, and hippity hop. He's Cudjo on Adamantium. He pushes the pocket like Ron Jeremy.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I could see us targeting this guy if Langford is a cap casualty.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Size, height, and ability to bulk up or push the pocket in the NFL?

Agree.taking a DT his size in the first is a bit risky. Can he go through an entire season playing DT in the NFCW filled with great bulking interior OL? Rams have greater holes to fill with that 2nd first round pick

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
6'1" 288 is a little short for the guys that we have gone after in the Fisher/Snead era. I have no problem with him. He has, push, pop, and hippity hop. He's Cudjo on Adamantium. He pushes the pocket like Ron Jeremy.
WELL. If he's got hippity hop - I'm in. Is he as ugly as Ron Jeremy?