Can we cut Barron while he's recovering from shoulder surgery?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Barron’s good, but can’t hold up health wise as a 3-4 ILB.

He’s best as a robber in GWs D

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Barron’s good, but can’t hold up health wise as a 3-4 ILB.

He’s best as a robber in GWs D

See these are the statements that make me a little crazy. I don't mean to call you out or anything but how are you qualified to make that statement? Is that an opinion?

There have been a ton of great undersized LBs in the NFL. Don't make me start naming names but everyone that knows football can agree with that. I'll give you one, London Fletcher the guy was under sized and always played and played at an HOF level. Or take Aaron Donald he's way undersized and have held up just fine.
Players get hurt all the time but it bothers me when people use a normal playing injury to support their agendas.

Sorry mate I really don't mean to come across as rude, I always like your post

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
There is so many different opinions on Barron... I don't know .. I've seen teams running the ball right at him successfully a lot over the last 2 years. He's made tackles....he's made plays...but having him and Tree on the inside of a 3-4 just isn't stout enough for us....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
See these are the statements that make me a little crazy. I don't mean to call you out or anything but how are you qualified to make that statement? Is that an opinion?

There have been a ton of great undersized LBs in the NFL. Don't make me start naming names but everyone that knows football can agree with that. I'll give you one, London Fletcher the guy was under sized and always played and played at an HOF level. Or take Aaron Donald he's way undersized and have held up just fine.
Players get hurt all the time but it bothers me when people use a normal playing injury to support their agendas.

Sorry mate I really don't mean to come across as rude, I always like your post

You’re good.

I’m not qualified. However, based on Barron playing at a Pro Bowl level as @ robber and being injured as an ILB expressly based on assignment (he didn5 hav3 any fluk3 injures, but injuries consistent with the ILB position, seems like a simple linear correlation.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I don't think we cut Barron at this point . You guys act like we can just replace him with someone better no problem. It's not that easy. I'm thinking we keep him where he's at and draft and sign a true NT. He wasn't rated so high for nothing.

I totally agree with you - Barron also fits McVay's Rams - he's a 'willing' player and a vet leader. If we get a space filling NT, those isolated big runs will disappear. I'm sure Barron's locker room presence is worth a lot also.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I don't know if we cut him or not. What I do know is this: He has a sizable cap hit this season. I don't get the sense that others on the board are acting like we can "just replace him with someone better; no problem". What I am reading is that others are open to letting him go and finding a replacement; period.

The reason Barron is rated so high is because he's a good tackler, and can play coverage really well. He is not a thumper in the middle that is going to overtake a guard and make a TFL. No, Barron wasn't the only reason why we sucked against the run overall last season either, but he was apart of it due to the fact the he could never get off blocks... like ever. Tree has the same issue, can't get off blocks in a 1v1 situation. So it would make sense that with Barron's cap hit, lack of ability to make TFLs, injuries piling up, and not being a force in the run game, that the Rams let him hit the market. Why not? You could always attempt to bring him back anyways. Don't get it twisted either, most on this forum like Barron a ton, like me. But too many things make sense to explore other options than to assume he's gonna remain a Ram.

I agree with keeping barron, I think adding a run stuffer in the middle would solve alot of our problems.

A big body that can eat up blocks would free up barron and tree and allow them to do what they do best . No one can cover tight ends and the middle of the field like these guys .

If barron goes , we better have a good replacement in mind . Tree is staying for a long time and I can't see why anyone would want to release Tree . He has been a great leader since he was drafted

Considering the fact that " The New Defensive Way" these days is to use a Deep Defensive rotation this works perfectly! Keep Quinn and Barron for what they do Best! JMHO!

I'd like to hear some names for Barron's replacement. Just who is out there in FA that can do Barron's job better?

It still remains to be seen if Barron shoulder and knee are going to be fully healed by TC.

Littleton can't come close to covering like Barron can. Hager is no up grade either.

I totally agree with you - Barron also fits McVay's Rams - he's a 'willing' player and a vet leader. If we get a space filling NT, those isolated big runs will disappear. I'm sure Barron's locker room presence is worth a lot also.

Totally agree gents. It’s mind boggling people want to cut Barron, take on a huge negative cap hit, and replace him with a further cap hit that I seriously doubt has a chance to be a top ILB as Barrón. It makes zero sense. Who else is going to come in and rate as the top 3 in pass and top 7 in run? I’ll tell you who... nobody.

I don’t mind drafting somebody deeper into the draft to develop or a guy for depth but what blows mind is our NT (or lack there of) is the sole cause of blockers getting to our second level to cause those big gashes.

How about we fix the main problem and get a beast of a NT instead of trying to fix a problem by causing another problem?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn's transition to a 3-4 OLB is easier because in Wade's 34 scheme the OLB shares the same responsibilities as a 4-3 DE, only difference is that they seldom drop into coverage. Even changing the 34 scheme would still put Tree's weaknesses on display. He can't set the edge, and he can't shed blockers. He might not be used that way, but that's not going to stop the offense from running at his side . IMO, the best position for Tree is Barron's.

But by every single comparable metric Barron was MUCH better than Tree last year. It would be odd if this staff cut Barron and put Ogletree in that position, especially when the money Barron is making is the same that they paid Ogletree. Should have just let Ogletree walk if that was the plan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
But by every single comparable metric Barron was MUCH better than Tree last year. It would be odd if this staff cut Barron and put Ogletree in that position, especially when the money Barron is making is the same that they paid Ogletree. Should have just let Ogletree walk if that was the plan.
Difference is McVay and Wade paid Tree. Barron was paid by Fisher and Williams. Plus we've seen McVay talk about Barron and his many injuries and having concern over them then at the end of the season he had surgery on his shoulder which wasn't an injury reported at the end of the season.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Seem to recall a story from a player that had to pass a physical before he was cut. He joked how he was on the exam table, the doctor told him he passed the physical, the GM came into the exam room and cut him while still on the table. Team did not want him to make a move before releasing him. Not sure if that is true, but makes some sense that a player must pass a physical before he can be cut.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not sure if that is true, but makes some sense that a player must pass a physical before he can be cut.
or negotiate an injury settlement....

Cut Barron....yall crazy.

Simple fix, move John Johnson to FS or draft a FS...move Barron back to SS....

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm not suggesting that they cut Barron and put Tree in his spot, what I'm saying is that if we wanted to put Tree in a position where he is best suited it would be Barron's spot . Also it's hard to compare them because they have different roles despite the fact that they both play ILB. Their performances could look drastically different if they switched roles . I will agree that Barron looked to play better overall, but I wouldn't say by MUCH.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
or negotiate an injury settlement....

Cut Barron....yall crazy.

Simple fix, move John Johnson to FS or draft a FS...move Barron back to SS....
There’s that broken record!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Forget the size issue, injury risks, stats & PFF scores for a moment, the Rams simply can't afford to continue paying 3 of our 4 LB'ers pro-bowl type money without getting pro-bowl like results. We have needs with other positions & units to address, and none of these 3 were hand-picked by either McVay or Wade Phillips. I was one of very few calling out Ogletree and suggesting he might be ripe as a CAP Casualty, instead they extended him with an Austin like new salary. This is the NFL (Not for Long league), we all eventually live to see popular players traded or released for the purpose of improvement, it doesn't always work out the way we wish, but opening CAP and changing the scenery is an important tool for applying to the next level of play. jmo.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hopefully we can trade him for an early day 3 or late day 2 pick to the Browns. I don't mind Barron but he's not a scheme fit in a true 3-4 defense; if we keep him, our run defense is still going to be susceptible unless we have stout 3-4 ILBs.

Ram65

Legend
"The Barron Conundrum" made for Rams Internet Forums everywhere.

So much good passion and differing opinions on the future of Mark Barron.

The Rams have a lot going on especially on defense. It's hard to figure out the cap hits coming up. I'm inclined to keep Barron. Upgrade NT and the run defense gets better. It got better as the year progressed but, still needs some work.

Free agents that have been listed before are Todd Davis, Avery Williamson, Ramik Wilson (who started for KC when Derrick Johnson was injured) and Demario Davis. Not all exactly sexy house hold or all pro names but all good run defenders that we need.

Avery Williamson could be a good fit. Better in run but, not pass defense. Teams really liked to throw those RB outlet passes on the Rams. Really need someone that can make that tackle. Barron better than Tree there and probably Williamson. I'll go with what the Rams decide. I think this would be Barron's last year if they keep him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The Barron Conundrum" made for Rams Internet Forums everywhere.

So much good passion and differing opinions on the future of Mark Barron.

The Rams have a lot going on especially on defense. It's hard to figure out the cap hits coming up. I'm inclined to keep Barron. Upgrade NT and the run defense gets better. It got better as the year progressed but, still needs some work.

Avery Williamson could be a good fit. Better in run but, not pass defense. Teams really liked to throw those RB outlet passes on the Rams. Really need someone that can make that tackle. Barron better than Tree there and probably Williamson. I'll go with what the Rams decide. I think this would be Barron's last year if they keep him.
Neither one f our ILB were good against the pass or run especially early in the games. They did occasionally show 2nd half improvement.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda feel like Barron will be a late cut in FA if he is at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams:
1) Plan on keeping him
2) Cut him only if they need the money (that decision may not be immediate) 2a) Attempt to replace with cheaper talent
3) Attempt to bolster the Dline in front of him through FA moves
4) Attempt to bolster the Dline through the draft
5) If Barron is cut, the operational order of 3 and 4 may flip or even fall behind other needs on defense or offense.

And I think that's the order of operations there.

It seems to me that most teams game plan the offseason with various scenarios playing out. We often talk about binary decisions on this board, it's either keep or cut. I believe I've heard interviews with Snead where he talks about plan A, B, C, etc... for the offseason and the draft. We might do a bit better talking about decisions on here in terms of order of preference if we want to get a bit closer to the decision making involved.

I bet there's some great software out there that probably could lay out decision making processes like this.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Neither one f our ILB were good against the pass or run especially early in the games. They did occasionally show 2nd half improvement.
If you have your own personal agenda that's ok, everybody is entitled to their opnion no matter how wrong they are. Your argument that Ogletree and Barron are horrible, average, or not worthy of keeping isn't backed up by facts. This was produced on October 23, 2017. If I had my PFF subscription I could show you the whole season. If anybody else has that that would be helpful. Anyways, I know you don't like PFF, these metrics and other statistical data our WHAT OUR F.O. USES HEAVILY NOW if you like what has happened with the roster and results in the last year it's because of statistical analysis and we employ one of the bigger stats team in the league if not the biggest.

Run-Stop-Percentage.png

Pass-Rush-Productivity.png

IF we had a NT worth his salt a lot of the issues with Tree or Barron would be fixed and having more athletic coverage and to the spot LB"s would definitely be game changing.

I will admit that they both struggled a bit but thinking or hoping a thumper ILB that can cover better than either one of them is a big chance to release somebody and taking on negative cap space to be iffy. I'm defiantly open to trying to acquire or draft a replacement.

Last edited: