Can the Rams afford three quality FA Offensive Linemen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I agree with a lot of your conclusions but I don't agree with listing subjective rankings as if they are facts so I tend to throw those out.

I agree that it would be shocking for Fisher to go OL 1-2-3, but last draft they took four DBs. It seemed like overkill, a strategy to throw them to the wall to see what sticks. I would not be surprised if they do the same approach with OL this time -- perhaps go BPA in round 1 then all or mostly OL after to get tons of bodies in camp at least.

Wis was regarded as the Raiders best young OL before his poor last season. Then the Raiders had a regime change and his uncle resigned in protest. Some believe that family animosity against the Raiders organization affected Wisniewski's on-field performance last season, and that a change of scenery will have him back to his more promising levels.

To try to alleviate your Blalock fears, note that even the fake grades out there for him claim "you have to go back to 2009 for the last time he graded negatively over a season." In contrast, Joseph had been regarded as a top guard, then suffered a serious injury, then had a year of sucking when the Rams signed him full well knowing the risk-reward.

So I think the factors are very different when assessing Blalock's "Joseph risk" -- Blalock seems to have a more consistent track record and not coming off major injury like Joseph (although Blalock had a back injury that ended his streak of 102 games played last year, he missed 1 game).

Didn't know that about Wis's uncle, could be the reason for the cut - I still think he's pricey and I'm not impressed with his pass protection. It's Blalock's back that worries me tbh, he's getting older, it's going to be a constant niggle...

Like your thoughts on the draft, it may be possible, but we'd have to move back from #10 to pick up more picks I think to make that work, the draft isn't that deep this year IMO.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Didn't know that about Wis's uncle, could be the reason for the cut - I still think he's pricey and I'm not impressed with his pass protection. It's Blalock's back that worries me tbh, he's getting older, it's going to be a constant niggle...

Like your thoughts on the draft, it may be possible, but we'd have to move back from #10 to pick up more picks I think to make that work, the draft isn't that deep this year IMO.
If this draft is deep, it is at OL and WR. I could see the Rams trading back a handful of picks and still landing two starting caliber OL in the first two rounds. It's a hell of a gamble in my opinion though.

iced

if they need money there are things they can do to free up cap room - like tinkering bonuses and the like ( i know quinn was one of them )

Alan

Legend
Corbin with some interesting points and one head scratcher:
Barksdale over values himself and is on his honeymoon which the Titans paid for if I'm not mistaken which is a done deal pretty much since we've clearly showed we won't over pay anymore for old prone to injury players.
At first glance it looks like you're talking about Barksdale but when you use words like "injury prone" and "old" it's obvious that you're not talking about our former RT who is only 26 years old and has been a rock (injury wise) at RT since he got here so I'm confused. I'm not a big fan of Barks but not for any of the reasons you've mentioned. I hope we resign him if the price is right. If for no other reason that the increased flexibility it gives us in the draft.