Can the Rams actually win the NFC West this year? (Gasp)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm serious, fellas.

Our playoff run might start as soon as this year based upon how things have played out in the first 4 weeks.

But I've got my sights higher than just making the playoffs now.

Call me greedy or delusional, but I think we've got a shot at winning the West outright as of today. Think about it.

Let's see...

We're undefeated in our division.
That means we have a current leg up on tiebreakers vs Seahawks and Cards, our biggest divisional competitors.
We beat the Cards on the road, so I think we get a slight edge playing the next game with them at home.
The Niners are an absolute mess. No stretch to think we can sweep them.
Seattle is one blown ref call away from being 1-3. They no longer look so intimidating, if you ask me.
Our schedule gets a bit easier after this murderous early stretch.
Our O is showing signs of gelling and right on time. Foles, Gurley, Austin, and a developing OL should be a potent one by midseason.
Cigs seems to have a knack for creativity and maximizing player talents. Opponents now have to pick their poison more frequently.
Britt and Quick haven't yet been fully incorporated into our O arsenal. When that happens, look out!
Foles has not yet hit his ceiling in this O. I expect he will finish the season as a top 10 QB.

I'm really thinking that it's on the Seahawks and Cards to rise up and take the division away from US!

How do you like THEM apples? Lol.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Completely agree. We need consistency though. We can't beat Seattle and lose to Washington. Or beat Arizona and Green Bay and lose to Cleveland.

That non-call in the Seattle game could loom large in the NFC playoff race. SEA would (and should) be sitting at 1-3 right now. Might make a huge difference later in the year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If we win in GB this week I declare us champs :)

No game is "easy" in the NFL but things would seem a bit easier after the bye. Although Cincy, Detroit (don't care what there record is) and the Vikings are all tough matches.
It's easy to say we should win most of those games but we had let downs in Washington and missed a golden chance against Pitt.

If we don't win this week but the game is close and competitive will say a lot, IMO for the rest of the year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I will join in this, and say I have absolutely no doubt your right!! This year we sweep the Division, and there will be No "Tie's!" :party:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Until I see a string of wins, this team is not ready for the playoffs.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Just win Sunday and keep playing the way they played vs Seattle and the Cardinals. Also win the games your suppose to win and take a few that your not expected to.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Heck yeah they can win the west. And they can win more than that!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yes. If we play up to our capabilities I honestly think the sky is the limit. This is a talented team that needs to get past their youth. Physically, I think they can do it. Mentally, they need to wise up a bit but I think that can be achieved. We have some pretty smart young guys on this team.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Faith is a beautiful thing. It requires expectation though.
I just hope they continue to get better and entertain me.

Victories are sweet.
Winning the division would be sweeter.
Making some noise in Post season would be fantastic.
Do I expect any of those things will happen? HELL NO!
Do I hope any of those things will happen? YEAH BABY! YEAH!

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If they play consistent then they can surely win the division. But when was the last time the Rams were even two games above .500? I don't even remember anymore.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We have a young, inexperienced team that that is wildly inconsistent. This is particularly true on offense.

No part of the team is younger or more inexperienced than the offensive line which, although great in the 2nd half vs. Arizona, has failed miserably at run blocking for the vast majority of the season to date. For a run first team, that is very problematic.

We are just lost a starting LB - who also happens to be one of our best defensive players, and one of our best play-makers overall - for possibly the entire season. And have already lost an excellent CB for the year.

Our QB is fine, but he is hardly elite and this is a QB driven league.

We have had trouble stringing games together for years now. Upsetting Arizona was/is huge. But we've been on the winning end of quite a few David vs. Goliath contests the past few seasons.

All that is to say..... I'm not even close to thinking about winning the west just yet. One game at a time. Let's see if the team can even play inspired football vs. Green Bay first coming off of an emotional win.

But am I excited for the Rams chances at success? HELL YES! Playoffs are a real possibility, and this team seems poised to keep ascending and be a perennial heavy weight soon enough. The age of darkness is over!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it IS within the team's control. If they win out they will win the NFC West no matter what the other teams do in non-Rams games.

While I'm optimistic I don't expect them to win out. I am very hopeful that the Cards game was a turning point, because of what they flashed on offense.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
One game at a time. As already mentioned - we are a wildly inconsistent team. In fact you could say it is one of our key identities - talented, aggressive and inconsistent. It defines us. If we can tame that inconsistency - starting with a win at GB (that would be huge - winning at Lambeau?), then we will win the division.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rams win in GB after beating Zona and Seahags anything less than not making the Conf. champ. game would be the minimum. Not making the playoffs would be same as a 2-14 season.
Clock is ticking for this group. Now is as good as any time to start winning.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
While I'm not ready to give the Rams the NFC W I do think that if Gurley emerges as the stud RB we all saw in AZ we will be in the playoffs. The synergy between a great running game and the passing game will add more than Gurley could on his own. Think about how much better the defense will be when the Rams start controlling the time of possession game! Last but not least is his team first attitude and his infectious enthusiasm! You could see the whole team come to life once Gurley started to take over that game. The O-line was ready to smash Cards all over the field and Gurley's success only validated all their hard work. It was wonderful to watch and I hope that it become a consistent theme on Sundays! Team scared to get behind the Rams because of the threat of the new found running game which will lead to more opportunities for our D-line!

This is the most exciting time to be a Rams fan since the GSOT days!

Go Rams!

Big Willie

Starter
My recipe for winning the division....
Step 1, win a game or two pundits believe you are not supposed to win against good teams. CHECK
Step 2, win a few games in a row.
Step 3, consistently beat teams with equal or lesser talent on your home field.
Step 4, beat lesser teams and a few equally talented teams on their home field.
Step 5, see where you are in the standings and then start thinking about playoff possibilities.
Step 6, determine if you've done enough to win your division

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One game at a time. As already mentioned - we are a wildly inconsistent team. In fact you could say it is one of our key identities - talented, aggressive and inconsistent. It defines us. If we can tame that inconsistency - starting with a win at GB (that would be huge - winning at Lambeau?), then we will win the division.
As I posted previously, the Rams Last Win against the Packers was @ GB, and we Won 23-20. I expect a similar game this time around!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. My minimum expectations remain a 2nd place finish in the NFCW and a record above .500
2. I believe a wildcard is possible.