Can Rams Mirror Bills 2016 Yards Before Contact?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Buffalo Bills lead league in yards before contact per attempt by offensive line

Buffalo Bills center Eric Wood (70) prepares to snap the ball against the Arizona Cardinals during the second half of an NFL football game on Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in Orchard Park, N.Y.

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer
Follow on Twitter
on December 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM, updated December 22, 2016 at 7:02 PM

The Buffalo Bills lead the league in rushing through 15 weeks with 2,290 yards.

It's no surprise that the Bills lead the league in this category with the NFL's fifth leading rusher, LeSean McCoy, and Tyrod Taylor, the NFL's top rushing quarterback. One area that is somewhat underappreciated is Buffalo's offensive line.

Richie Incognito gets praise for his run blocking, which is well deserved, but Buffalo's offensive line as a whole has done a good job of opening running lanes for McCoy, Taylor, Mike Gillislee and others.

Just how good has the Bills' offensive line been this season? Through 15 weeks, Buffalo's offensive line leads the NFL in rushing yards before contact per attempt.

View image on Twitter
C0Op2ilXUAcIuBD.jpg:small

Follow
Jeff Ratcliffe

Yards before contact per attempt by offensive line through Week 15 of the NFL seas4:05 PM - 21 Dec 2016

On average, Buffalo's runners are getting 2.88 yards per attempt before contact. The Bills have been at their best when running to the left (3.10 YPA before contact). Cordy Glenn and Richie Incognito are considered to be Buffalo's top offensive linemen so it's no surprise to see the Bills having the most success when running to the left.

Up the middle, the Bills are averaging 3.00 yards per attempt before contact. Buffalo's starting guards and the combination of Eric Wood and Ryan Groy have fared well this season in run blocking.

Buffalo's yards before contact number drops on the right side of their line (2.68 YPA). This makes sense considering that the weakest part of Buffalo's offensive line is at right tackle. Despite the drop off in yards per attempt, the 2.68 yards is still first in the league on the right side. The Bills were first in the league on the left side and up the middle as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Gurley didn't get much that kind of support.

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/5-rams-on-espn-list-of-99-people-who-will-shape-2017-season.49748/
started by @KNUCKLEHEAD

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-shape-regular-season-playoffs-super-bowl-lii
i
18. Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams. Gurley's 1.59 yards before first contact in 2016 ranked 41st in the NFL. He had no room to run. The Rams hope the installation of a zone scheme under Sean McVay and the additions of veteran offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan will help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Getting on par with the Bills in rushing yards will be very tough since we don't have a rushing QB and we are transitioning to a pass-heavy offense. The blocking efficiency must improve though and I think it definitely will with the combined development of our young OL and the addition of the new veterans.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Need more info....Who were the players on the right side? Anyone know....I'm thinking the dude Miller that played with Jamon Brown at Louisville....but I'm drawing a blank....

that is an excellent stat...

and yes

I did say somewhere in here a few years back, I'd take Richie Incognito back...in a hot second. LOL