Can Rams break Bears NFL's Sack record?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
The thought of adding DT Aaron Donald to the Rams defensive line is very, very exciting for Rams fans but it might be a little disturbing for opposing QB's. it won't surprise me to see the Rams defense (especially, with the addition of Donald AND DC Gregg Willams) challenge the alltime sack record (72) set by the Bears (1984?) in the near future.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think if there's any team that can do it, it'd be us. In a scheme that allows us to get more sacks by not allowing dink and dunks for 20 yard gains, and with the addition of Donald and Carrington (and maybe Sam), and the aforementioned scheme involving the increased blitzing of say, talented linebackers and safeties like Ogletree and Joyner and McDonald, I think we have a chance to get close.

Just in the Bears game alone last year I counted at least 3-5 sacks that we could've picked up just by having our receivers play tighter coverage. I think with natural improvement plus the additions we've made, those will be no more and we will capitalize.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I hope we can, but we don't really have the best rushing linebacker unit. But with them using nickle and dime a lot, not sure it matters a whole lot. Breaking the record would be fucking amazing, I really hope they do.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just in the Bears game alone last year I counted at least 3-5 sacks that we could've picked up just by having our receivers play tighter coverage.

No wonder our secondary sucked last year!! Damn our receiving corp and their crappy coverage skills!!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
No wonder our secondary sucked last year!! Damn our receiving corp and their crappy coverage skills!!!

Wow. That was definitely a bad mistake. Maybe I need to brush up on my Football 101 :LOL:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'd say it's worth a try!
Quinn will put up 1/4 of those numbers himself. If Long has a decent year, and Donald is as good as advertised, and Williams dials up some blitzes, and we play with a lead, AND that's a lot of things that have to work out perfectly for it to happen, but its still possible.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, I don't know the exact percentages, but I'm sure the Rams defensive line put up 95% or so of the sacks. They're probably going to carry a huge load again, but expect a lot of help from the other positions on D in regards to pressure and sacks.

Let's say the 4 DTs (Brockers, Langford, Donald, Carrington) get about 5 a piece on average, and that's on the lower side for a guy like Donald. That's 20 sacks right there.
Let's say Quinn gets....18 sacks. That's 38 sacks.
Let's say Long gets.....11 sacks. That's 49 sacks.
Let's say....Hayes gets 6 sacks. That's 55 sacks.
Let's say Sims gets 3 sacks...That's 58 sacks.
Let's say....Ogletree gets 4 sacks..That's 62 sacks.
Let's say..T.J. gets 2 sacks. That's 64 sacks.
Let's say..Laurinaitis gets 3 sacks. That's 67 sacks.
Let's say Dunbar/Armstrong gets 2 sacks. That's 69 sacks.
Let's say...Joyner gets 1 sack. That's 70 sacks.

And I'm sure we can manage to get some more from the secondary. For example, if Mo Alexander starts, we could probably get another 2-3 out of him, because he's a natural at that. We can make up more sacks somewhere. Janoris or Trumaine might be able to land a sack or two.

I think most of those numbers are pretty reasonable. Maybe I overestimated a little on Quinn or Ogletree, but let's say that's about right.

With the talent we have, I can see us managing this. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
We need to just play tighter coverage (meaning closer than 10 yards away at snap) and we will stop that dink and dunk that our last DC allowed all season. Talk about frustrating..............We have the ability to break the record.

jap

Legend
As I stated months before, I would love to see The Mighty One challenge Deacon Jones' unofficial sack record of 26 sacks, accomplished in a 14-game season. (Personally, I don't have much respect for the so-called official NFL sack record.)

I am not sure if they will get it done this year. Aaron has to learn to counter all the good techniques as well as the nasty little tricks of NFL OL guys.
Chris Long has to bounce back from a season where he was hampered by nagging injuries. Perhaps most of all, The Incredible Brock has to advance to super stud DT status where he consistently demands attention from 2-3 blockers and still gets a healthy amount of sacks. However, it may very well happen in a year or two.

scifiman

I would rather have a super bowl win than the sack record. Records are nice but I want the only one that counts for something.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't think so. NOt this year;

I have to watch the 1984 Bears vs Rams (84 Bears hold the record); see what the Bears did against THE best line in the game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I hope we can, but we don't really have the best rushing linebacker unit. But with them using nickle and dime a lot, not sure it matters a whole lot. Breaking the record would be freaking amazing, I really hope they do.

Ogeltree can rush. Plus in a 4-3 you don't need more than one LB and a DB here and there to rush - to be effective. They're just a complement to our four horsemen.... would be interesting to look into blitz stats for 4-3 teams... but now I'm getting carried away. :D

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Hell, with the way the NFL allows the OT to hold opposing players, I have a hard time seeing it happen. And does a roughing the passer call negate a sack? I think it does. I'll settle for leading the NFL in QB knockdowns, hurries, et. all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here is the sack distribution for the Saints in Williams' last year there:

Safety ... 8.5
Corner ... 1
DT ........ 2.5
DE ........ 14
LB ......... 7

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yes, and they will do it in Seattle in the 1st quarter!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Nothing is more fun than sacking the opposing Quarterback nearly to death. Anyone remember this?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That was probably the most fun I have had watching our defense after Kevin Kolb has his interview about being 4-0.
:owned:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Poor Kevin. That was an awesome defensive performance, but at one point I was like, "Jeeeez ... someone pull this guy already."