Can Pettis be our Ricky Proehl?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On there being more to the Rams offense than Cook, Givens and Austin
"Ya, I think that's a big driving factor for anyone," Pettis said. "When you're forgotten about by players on your own team you just want to go out and compete - not just with the other team but with your own teammates - because it just makes everyone better. As you can see we have a lot of weapons on this offense. There's going to be some who get the ball more than others each game depending on what the defense gives us.”

On Pettis' game against Atlanta
"It was really good to get (Pettis) back involved," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "He had a great spring. He had a great camp. Unfortunately we just haven't been able to get him the ball as much as he probably deserves so it was nice to see him have the game he had."

I know people don't think Pettis has what it takes to be a starting receiver for the Rams, but it should be apparent that this offense isn't about labeling a guy the #1, #2, #3, or even the X, Z, or Y. It's all about creating matchups and getting someone isolated in man coverage or in a favorable matchup. I think Pettis is still developing, personally. And I think he that if continues to be "the forgotten man", that he'll make some people pay for it. I also expect to see him continue to produce as he gets more involved. OTAs are over. Preseason is over. It's time now to focus on what he brings in real game situations.

BobCarl

Rookie
Pettis gets to outperform himself ... Cook and Austin are gamechangers and have to be assigned an extra babysitter to keep an eye on them, this gives Pettis a step or two in the clear.

Cook and Austin gotta catch wild trout with a fly rod ... Pettis gets a 44-magnum and gets a barrel to fish to work out of.

Pettis shold be carrying Cook and Austin's helmet every day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BobCarl said:
Pettis gets to outperform himself ... Cook and Austin are gamechangers and have to be assigned an extra babysitter to keep an eye on them, this gives Pettis a step or two in the clear.

Cook and Austin gotta catch wild trout with a fly rod ... Pettis gets a 44-magnum and gets a barrel to fish to work out of.

Pettis shold be carrying Cook and Austin's helmet every day.
So.... yes?

Because that's what Proehl was all about too.

sent via Tapatalk.

Graphicker

Starter
More like our Dane Looker or Mike FURRRREY baby..

Pettistron played well yesterday.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Graphicker said:

Try all you want that nickname ain't gonna stick lol

BobCarl

Rookie
X said:
BobCarl said:
So.... yes?

sent via Tapatalk.

Pettis is good in his own right and has some skills that Proehl never had ...... however, I'm just not to ready to elevate Pettis to Proehl's status yet :nono:

Proehl had heart and earned his place with Rams Fans ... Pettis is in the process of earning his way there ... i'd like to see him make a playoff game winning catch, or something similar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t-6iZk8dJk[/youtube]

Graphicker

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
Graphicker said:

Try all you want that nickname ain't gonna stick lol

It rolls of the toungue so well. Besides when I imagine a megatron I imagine that godly transformer.

When ever I say Pettitstron I imagine a 1973 Cadillac with the pimp still driving :lmao:

Just so slow and smooth with a vicious back hand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BobCarl said:
X said:
BobCarl said:
So.... yes?

sent via Tapatalk.

Pettis is good in his own right and has some skills that Proehl never had ...... however, I'm just not to ready to elevate Pettis to Proehl's status yet :nono:

Proehl had heart and earned his place with Rams Fans ... Pettis is in the process of earning his way there ... i'd like to see him make a playoff game winning catch, or something similar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t-6iZk8dJk[/youtube]
Well, yeah. That's why I asked, can he "be" our Ricky Proehl. I didn't ask if he already was.

I agree he has a ways to go to become a Proehl type, but I think we both agree he has the requisite skill set.

jjab360

Legend
Pettis and Bradford were on the exact same page in the no huddle, that's the best I've ever seen him play.

ramfidelis

UDFA
No. He's too inconsistent. Yet he did play much better in the no huddle with Bradford. So, maybe there is hope.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't think he can be a RP. He's not that good. Would you want SB to go to him at the end of an NFC championship game? RP was money in those situations.

To me AP is just an ok player that when he gets the right match up he might make a play. Several guys fit that bill on the roster.

If it were chess I'd say RP was a knight or a bishop. AP would be a pawn.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting takes. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on his level of involvement going forward. If he's good for a TD a game, or every other game, then I'd say he'll fit the bill just fine. Good game from him yesterday, so it's a start anyway...

BobCarl

Rookie
X said:
That's why I asked, can he "be" our Ricky Proehl. I didn't ask if he already was.

ok fair enough .... I don't think he can be Ricky Proehl ... just like nobody can be Kurt Warner or Marshall Faulk ... however there is room on the wall where Proehl's picture hangs ... perhaps one day Pettis's photo can be next to Proehls.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ramfidelis hitting a nerve:
No. He's too inconsistent. Yet he did play much better in the no huddle with Bradford. So, maybe there is hope.

I've been comparing him to Proehl for a while now but you're right about the inconsistency.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
classicpony said:
Pettis is NO Proehl and never will be. We should have cut him in camp.
tumblr_lzi54pmRXC1rn95k2o1_500.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
VCRam said:
Would you want SB to go to him at the end of an NFC championship game?

Um... Has Pettis showed an inability to catch the ball or make big catches? So if he is on the field? Sure. You know he's not going to be double covered - much like Ricky. I don't think the guy offers much in the form of separation but either did Ricky.

If the question is can Pettis be that guy who does the dirty work and occasionally makes that crucial play? Yeah. He can be that guy. Do I think he is one of the 4 or 5 most talented receivers on THIS team? Not IMO. He has more game experience right now and is possibly a little smarter than your average bear.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
VCRam said:
Would you want SB to go to him at the end of an NFC championship game?

Um... Has Pettis showed an inability to catch the ball or make big catches? So if he is on the field? Sure. You know he's not going to be double covered - much like Ricky. I don't think the guy offers much in the form of separation but either did Ricky.

If the question is can Pettis be that guy who does the dirty work and occasionally makes that crucial play? Yeah. He can be that guy. Do I think he is one of the 4 or 5 most talented receivers on THIS team? Not IMO. He has more game experience right now and is possibly a little smarter than your average bear.
Hasn't dropped one in the endzone yet, so....

Yeah.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Proehl? Nah, think they're two completely different breed of WR.

But can he be good? I imagine so, his is slower than everyone else's but you can definitely see that Pettis is also advancing as he gets more and more time. Do I think he should start over Quick or Bailey? Nah, but he'd make a great 3rd or 4th guy.