Can McVay fix the Rams’ offense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Where will the "new" LA Rams offense rank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/5/19/1...sean-mcvay-fix-offense-jared-goff-todd-gurley

Los Angeles has a long track record of mediocre offense, but McVay could put an end to that.
by Kaleel.Weatherly May 19, 2017

For the past five seasons, the Los Angeles Rams have fielded the youngest team in the league. That likely won’t change with this year’s roster, which currently includes just three players over the age of 30. And they redoubled their commitment to the youth movement by hiring Sean McVay at the start of the year. McVay, the youngest head coach in NFL history, turned 31 in January.

McVay was hired to breathe new life into a team that hasn’t had a winning season since 2003, the longest active streak in the NFL. The Rams haven’t just failed to replace the Greatest Show on Turf — their high-scoring offense that earned them two trips to the Super Bowl around the turn of the century — they haven’t replaced it with an offense worth watching at all.

A key part of the Rams’ offensive struggles has been their inability to score points. In 2003, they put up 27.9 points per game, second in the league. Since then, the Rams averaged over 20 points per game four times. That fell to a meager 17 points per game in 2015 and an embarrassing 14 points last season.

Those numbers are a cry for help. That’s where McVay comes in.

The Rams’ offensive coaches have a good track record with QBs
Despite his age, McVay has nine years of experience as a coach, seven with Washington. It was there that McVay earned a reputation as an offensive guru.

Before he was hired by the Rams, McVay spent the past three seasons as Washington’s offensive coordinator. The offense steadily improved each season. Last year, Washington finished with the NFL’s third-ranked offense, averaging 403 yards per game. It had the 12th-best scoring offense with an average of 24.8 points per game.

McVay can bring a similar approach to rebuilding the Rams’ offense, and he’ll have some familiar faces to help out.

Matt LaFleur is the new Rams offensive coordinator. He was the quarterbacks coach for four seasons in Washington, from 2010 to 2013, and spent the last two seasons in Atlanta in the same role. During that time, he worked with the likes of Robert Griffin III and Matt Ryan, two quarterbacks with entirely different skill sets who both had their best seasons working with LaFleur.

RG3 was named Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2012, and Ryan won NFL MVP honors last season. Leading the way for the league’s highest-scoring offense, Ryan completed 69.9 percent of his passes for 4,944 yards and 38 touchdowns — all career highs.

McVay also added Greg Olson as the team’s quarterbacks coach. For the last two years, Olson served the same role with the Jaguars and Blake Bortles. Even though Bortles was a turnover machine in 2016, he had his best season as a pro under Olson in 2015, throwing for 4,428 yards, 35 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions.

Olson was also the Oakland Raiders’ offensive coordinator in 2013 and 2014 and worked with then-rookie Derek Carr, now one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL.

The Rams’ new coaching staff has a strong resume with quarterbacks, McVay included. He helped groom Kirk Cousins from a backup sharing duties with RG3 to a full-fledged starter in 2015. In the last two seasons, Cousins threw for 9,083 yards, 54 touchdowns, and 23 interceptions. He also finished in the top 10 in passing yards, completion percentage, and quarterback rating.

That’s all good news for Jared Goff.

Developing Jared Goff is one of McVay’s biggest tasks
The Rams traded up to draft Goff with the No. 1 pick in 2016, but he started the season on the bench. It wasn’t until Week 11 when former coach Jeff Fisher finally handed over the starting job to Goff.

The Rams finished the year on an 0-7 run with Goff in the lineup. The rookie signal-caller completed just 54.6 percent of his passes for 1,089 yards and a staggering 5.3 yards per attempt. Not only did the California product have problems with accuracy, but turnovers plagued him too. He threw seven interceptions to just five touchdowns and also fumbled five times.

Even simple throws to the flat became a problem, like this Week 14 attempt to hit Todd Gurleythat turned into a 33-yard pick-six:

lapick.0.gif

The first order of business for McVay and LaFleur is to teach Goff how to take care of the ball and not force his throws. Based on the early comments from the coaching staff, they feel confident that their project can be successful.

“From what I’ve seen on tape, he’s got some of the key attributes that you always look for in a quarterback,” LaFleur said in February. “He’s a natural thrower. You never want to see your quarterback getting hit too much, but he doesn’t shy away from contact. That’s true of any good quarterback in this league.”

In March, Rams general manager Les Snead sat down with NFL Network’s Steve Wyche and laid out another task for McVay and Goff this year: understanding the offense around him.

“Because at that point, during the course of a game he should know where his protections are weak and strong, and know ‘uh oh, we’ve got a problem coming — but the offense has a built-in answer and I’ve got to get to that answer real quick.’”

In May, Snead said Goff was “exceeding expectations,” which is what you’d expect him to say. We’ll soon find out if that’s just rhetoric or if Goff is where the team needs him to be heading into his second season.

The Rams need more from Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin
The quickest way to get the Rams offense moving again is to get Todd Gurley running like the same player who won the 2015 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. With a rare combination of size, speed, and agility, he ran for 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns that year. But he looked like a different player in his sophomore season.

The offensive line couldn't create creases for him, and with no passing game to speak of, it was too easy for defenses to take away the run. As a result, Gurley totaled just 885 rushing yards and six touchdowns on 278 attempts. His average of 3.2 yards per carry was way off the 4.8 yards per rush he compiled as a rookie.

His ability to break off big plays was gone too. He only had two runs go over 20 yards last season, compared with 11 the year before.

Under McVay, Washington didn’t run the ball that much — only five teams had fewer rushing attempts last season. But thanks in part to a breakout season from undrafted rookie free agent Rob Kelley, Washington was seventh in the league with 4.5 yards per carry. And that was without a talent like Gurley.

If Gurley can command a defense’s attention again, it would help keep pressure off Goff and open things up in the passing game.

Tavon Austin, a first-round pick for the Rams in 2013, looked like he could be a dynamic receiver who can wreak havoc from anywhere on the field. But in four seasons, he’s only caught 181 passes for 1,642 yards and 12 touchdowns.

So far, the Rams have been more committed to using him on bubble screens instead of stretching the field. Austin has averaged just 9.1 yards per reception and has only corralled six passes for 197 yards and two scores on post and go routes in his career.

Still, the Rams are optimistic Austin can morph into a deep threat like DeSean Jackson was under McVay in Washington.

"He’s shown he can track the ball down the field," McVay said about Austin recently, via ESPN.

On paper, McVay’s offensive style could be a good match for Austin and Gurley. He’s a pass-happy coach who wants his receivers to go vertical and line up in bunch sets. He also likes running the ball out of shotgun formations. But if his offense in Los Angeles even has a shot of resembling the one he had in Washington, he will need both players, especially Gurley, to be productive.

Offseason additions can help turn the Rams around
Los Angeles isn’t just relying on Goff, Austin, and Gurley to step up. The team is also banking on its offseason additions to help get the offense turned around quickly.

During free agency, the Rams filled an important hole when they signed left tackle Andrew Whitworth to protect Goff’s blindside and open up holes for Gurley. The 35-year-old is a substantial upgrade over draft bust Greg Robinson, who moves to right tackle.

Other than Whitworth, the Rams didn’t make any huge moves, but they did add depth to their skill positions. With Kenny Britt going to Cleveland, they brought on receiver Robert Woods. Though he’s not a No. 1 receiver, the hope is that he can be a solid possession guy who can help them improve the league’s worst conversion rate on third downs (31.46 percent). The Rams also signed running back Lance Dunbar to be another option on third downs.

In this year’s draft, Los Angeles focused on adding more playmakers. With no first-round pick (they gave it up to get Goff last year), the Rams used a second-round selection on tight end Gerald Everett, a converted basketball player who put up big yardage in the Sun Belt conference.

It might not have seemed like a flashy pick at the time, but the small-school prospect wasn’t flying under everyone’s radar.

“A couple other teams groaned when they saw him come off the board with the 44th pick, thinking he’d slip to them later in the second round,” MMQB’s Albert Breer reported.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that McVay’s team was the one to draft Everett. Before he was promoted to Washington’s offensive coordinator job in 2014, McVay was the team’s tight ends coach for three seasons. He helped coax career-best seasons out of Logan Paulsen and Fred Davis, and he also groomed Jordan Reed. In 2013, Reed set team records in catches (45) and receiving yards (499) for a rookie tight end. Two years later in McVay’s offense, Reed set two more team records for a tight end, with 87 receptions and 952 yards.

If McVay can bring along Everett like he did Reed, that only helps the development of Goff.

The Rams followed that up by drafting slot receiver Cooper Kupp in the third round. The Eastern Washington product ran a slow 40 at the combine (4.62), but he was also the most prolific receiver in Division I history. The early reviews are positive.

“I think the first thing you know about Cooper is he’s a pro and you can see that,” McVay said after rookie minicamp. “He came in here not like most rookies do. He’s an extremely polished route-runner, got great hands, is a precise route-runner.”

Fourth-round receiver Josh Reynolds produced respectable numbers at Texas A&M’s spread offense, but he’s still raw. How Everett, Kupp, and Reynolds translate to the NFL is still the biggest question surrounding them.

Fixing this offense won’t be an easy task for a first-time coach like McVay. A lot of the players are young and need time to hone their skills. But McVay doesn’t need Goff, Gurley, and Austin to be the second coming of Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Isaac Bruce either. The Rams just have to show signs of improvement and let the defense, now under the leadership of Super Bowl-winning DC Wade Phillips, pave the way.

If McVay can get more out of the offense, the Rams could finally turn into contenders in the near future — or at the very least, finish a season with a winning record.

Hmmmm....My poll question is based on these assumptions/facts

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yeah I went with option 4 :rimshot: ( b/c it was there)

He has identified the problem, and already Goff has more talent at skilled positions than SB8 ever had

So my guess is yes, things are looking up for the O

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Middle of the pack, we see a vast improvement. With Wade running the defense and Bones on special teams a middle of the pack (15-20) range offense puts us in a nice spot. Also this comment from the author make no sense.

And they redoubled their commitment to the youth movement by hiring Sean McVay at the start of the year. McVay, the youngest head coach in NFL history, turned 31 in January.

Hiring a young coach doesn't mean we'll keep being a young team. Now a new coach is likely to turn over the roster to his type of players but that could be young or old guys or like McVay has done a mix of both.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I voted bottom third. I see them finishing 20-25th in offense. I'm hoping for an explosion and a top 15 O, but I'm being realistic. Really need the O line to come together and open up some holes in the run game and make play action more viable. Also, no more double out route BS please!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I reserve the right to change my answer after preseason

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I voted to send @LACHAMP46 back to the booty thread where everyone is pretty much right, I'm guessing we''ll finish somewhere near top 20 with such a young team and a brand new offense under a brand new offensive coach. Too many rookies for me to hope for much more, especially with our near rook QB, WR's & TE's. The improved OL alone makes it easier to rise to the occasion, and Gurley will carry this team as he did as a rookie. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Top ten. Because why not? If Gurley gets back to form and Goff takes a big step in his development, outer space is the limit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For the last five years the offensive coordinators have been...Brian Schottenheimer, Frank Cignetti & Rob Boras and the offensive position coaches were a cast of castoffs....The three gentlemen no longer hold the title of "Offensive Coordinator." Schotty is a QB Coach (Indy), Cignetti is a QB Coach (NYG) and Boras has been exiled to Siberia (Buffalo) and is coaching Tight Ends and that is all you need to know.

McVay, LaFleur & Olson should make all of us sleep with a smile on our faces each & every night.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I see top 20. We are a young team and will still have growing pains, but we also have a staff that is going to develop some outstanding game plans...and oh yeah make adjustments in game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense has talented pieces. They have good coaching. No reason to think they can't be in the top 20 offenses, and my own expectation is they finish somewhere from 15th-20th in scoring. That isn't a stretch by any means, IMO at least.

Now if Goff really comes online under this staff and the defense plays very well, we could have a really nice year. But, granted, that's a lot of "IFs" so I'm just going to enjoy watching this young team start coming together under this staff and not worry so much about wins/losses. Not going to let that stuff ruin the beginning of what I believe will be a great era for all of us.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Going out and getting the best LOT available indicates this coaching staff knows what it will take to play winning football. A most encouraging sign.

Whether the rest of the oline, which frequently, and embarrassingly, got manhandled last year is able to step it up will determine our fate.

Just how far can imaginative and fearless play calling mask our obvious talent deficiencies along the Oline?

I reckon we will soon see.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
The oline is way more talented then most know....the young guys played pretty good as rookies showing tons of promise. ..it was bad last year but it doesn't erase the potential they each showed in 2015...... under this staff and offensive scheme I think we will flourish. ... Gurley will rebound and Goff will play better than most of the pundits expect.. not to mention our improved weapons in the passing game...top 10 offense...and 11-5.... that's what I see..... but only time will tell...... ;)

Go Rams....... ;)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Middle of the pack, we see a vast improvement. With Wade running the defense and Bones on special teams a middle of the pack (15-20) range offense puts us in a nice spot. Also this comment from the author make no sense.

Hiring a young coach doesn't mean we'll keep being a young team. Now a new coach is likely to turn over the roster to his type of players but that could be young or old guys or like McVay has done a mix of both.

Just as he has with his coaching staff. He has mixed older with younger coaching. I like the mix.

The offensive line with Kramer & his son makes a good example.
Adding 2 veterans with Saffold is real good for Jared Goffs blind side. All these young lineman are coming into there 3rd year which is said to be the year of a players biggest jump to his upside in the NFL.

tbux

Rookie
I was a bit critical of McVay hiring- because rarely do first time, very young coaches succeed. But hiring Phillips was great, and his OC and QB coach- also great hires. He has shown he can run an offense as well. Offseason moves imo- fantastic. Addressed all the major needs.

I will also say this, everytime I listen to him talk, I am impressed. He is a very smart dude, composed, methodical, and just seems confident. I think he can buck the trend. Time will tell, but so far, I like what I see, even though initially I was skeptical. Now, I can see what they liked.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Watching how many times Gurley was tackled by multiple people behind the LOS was frustrating to say the least.

The fact that he averaged 3 yards a carry with so many tackles for loss against him... well, that's amazing.

I firmly believe that Gurley is going to have a much, much better year and he's going to have to struggle not to bad mouth the coaching staff from before.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I voted bottom 3rd because I'm expecting us to be just outside of top 20. The offense has to learn a new scheme and we have a lot of rookies/2nd year players that need time to develop. I certainly think we improve on last year but it will take some time for the offense to figure out its identity. On the flip side, a mild improvement offensively is all this team might need to start making waves.

Ram65

Legend
So far, the Rams have been more committed to using him on bubble screens instead of stretching the field. Austin has averaged just 9.1 yards per reception and has only corralled six passes for 197 yards and two scores on post and go routes in his career.

Been saying to many bubble screens for Tavon. I think Tavon will get deep and Goff will get him the ball. McVay's smart enough to set this up with the run game and better protection. It won't just be Tavon either. Looking forward to see the play calling and execution.

During free agency, the Rams filled an important hole when they signed left tackle Andrew Whitworth to protect Goff’s blindside and open up holes for Gurley. The 35-year-old is a substantial upgrade over draft bust Greg Robinson, who moves to right tackle.

Other than Whitworth, the Rams didn’t make any huge moves, but they did add depth to their skill positions. With Kenny Britt going to Cleveland, they brought on receiver Robert Woods. Though he’s not a No. 1 receiver, the hope is that he can be a solid possession guy who can help them improve the league’s worst conversion rate on third downs (31.46 percent). The Rams also signed running back Lance Dunbar to be another option on third downs.

There it is better run game and protection. New weapons for Goff and the offense.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that McVay’s team was the one to draft Everett. Before he was promoted to Washington’s offensive coordinator job in 2014, McVay was the team’s tight ends coach for three seasons. He helped coax career-best seasons out of Logan Paulsen and Fred Davis, and he also groomed Jordan Reed. In 2013, Reed set team records in catches (45) and receiving yards (499) for a rookie tight end. Two years later in McVay’s offense, Reed set two more team records for a tight end, with 87 receptions and 952 yards.

McVay's specialty on offense is the TE. Everett and Higbee two weapons at TE the Rams haven't had in a long time. This creates lots of option in both the run game and passing game. McVay can keep defenses off balance. The Rams added rookie multi talented fullback Sam Rodgers that can block, run, catch and throw.

The Rams followed that up by drafting slot receiver Cooper Kupp in the third round. The Eastern Washington product ran a slow 40 at the combine (4.62), but he was also the most prolific receiver in Division I history. The early reviews are positive.

“I think the first thing you know about Cooper is he’s a pro and you can see that,” McVay said after rookie minicamp. “He came in here not like most rookies do. He’s an extremely polished route-runner, got great hands, is a precise route-runner.”

Fourth-round receiver Josh Reynolds produced respectable numbers at Texas A&M’s spread offense, but he’s still raw. How Everett, Kupp, and Reynolds translate to the NFL is still the biggest question surrounding them.

Kupp a pro ready rookie. Everett and Reynolds will be a match up problem. They will translate sooner to the NFL than later.

Fixing this offense won’t be an easy task for a first-time coach like McVay. A lot of the players are young and need time to hone their skills. But McVay doesn’t need Goff, Gurley, and Austin to be the second coming of Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Isaac Bruce either. The Rams just have to show signs of improvement and let the defense, now under the leadership of Super Bowl-winning DC Wade Phillips, pave the way.

If McVay can get more out of the offense, the Rams could finally turn into contenders in the near future — or at the very least, finish a season with a winning record.

Great summary. I voted top 20 offense but why not the top 15 this year. Then a top 10 offense in 2018. The defense and special teams playing at high levels helps elevate the Rams offense. Nice write up.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Before he was hired by the Rams, McVay spent the past three seasons as Washington’s offensive coordinator. The offense steadily improved each season. Last year, Washington finished with the NFL’s third-ranked offense, averaging 403 yards per game. It had the 12th-best scoring offense with an average of 24.8 points per game.
I felt all through the Fisher/G.Williams regime that was the magic number for our offense...and the Rams would have been winners. Kicking teams in the teeth, actually. I feel like the defense and special teams got better each year while the offense....
18.7 ppg

21.8 ppg

20.3 ppg

17.5 ppg

14 ppg

...just got worse.

McVay, all we need is about 24 ppg and improved QB play. That's what you do. That's where you hang your hat. Make it happen. So pretty please....with sugar on top. Fix the fuckin offense.
winstonwolf_pulpfiction.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Of course McVay's will fix the Rams offense, because he is changing it to his offense. The Rams offense was a high school offense morphed into an undefined mess. Just by scheme alone he will fix the offensive woes. His free agency moves have already improved he OLine. His OLine hire will have a big impact too. Kromer will improve the OLine by leaps and bounds. I am not concerned and think they will be a top fifteen offense.

TexasRam

Legend
Brand new system
All your WR's are rookies
Oline not Quite solidified.
QB essentially in rookie season.

I'm thinking bottom 3rd but hoping Mcvay can perform miracles.

May have struck Gold on the big three rookie targets. But the Oline isn't ready for prime time.