Can I say F*** Florio?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shawnbb158

Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dont-let-draft-picks-work-without-a-contract/

Dear agents, don’t let draft picks work without a contract
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2016, 9:42 PM EDT
zz1imjy3zty1yzu1mgjjnzgxngm3yzm1mdm5ytbjy2mwmg-e1462153238451.jpeg
AP
This year’s 250-plus draft picks have been officially welcomed to the family. And they’ll quickly be expected to do some chores. Without much of an allowance.

Now that they have teams, the draft picks will be absorbed into minicamps and offseason programs, regardless of whether they sign their first NFL contracts. In past years, few if any draft picks signed before July 4. Now, most will sign before Memorial Day weekend.

All should insist on being signed — and thus employed — before doing anything that would resemble work.

Yes, draft picks can (and will) sign letters of protection, ensuring that they’ll be paid in 2016 what they would have made if they end up suffering a serious injury. Regardless, there’s an overriding principle at work here. The draft picks are expected to show up, practice, participate in meetings, and begin getting to know their playbook. Why shouldn’t they have the same status as everyone else on the team?

Indeed, but for the draft picks, everyone else has a contract. Including the undrafted rookies (other than the ones who will show up for minicamp on a tryout basis). Why not sign all draft picks now, before they step foot into the weight room or onto the practice field?

Some teams (like the Bears) will quickly commence signing draft picks. Others (like the Rams) will wait until the offseason program has ended. Regardless, each draft pick should insist on having a contract before doing anything.

This isn’t something that will originate with the players. Their agents need to be the ones taking a stand. Quietly, some already are. Until enough do the same, players will continue to provide more of the same unpaid services that they provided for the last several years in college.

At least in college they got room, board, tuition, and snacks.

...…..….................

He takes a shot at us for educating our rookies before giving them big money..... Does he not understand why we wait educate and then sign them? I have loved that snisher does this aspect with our rookies... Ah this article annoyed me more than it should but damn whats wrong with a little education?

…..

Legend
From the onset, He kills the whole article by mentioning the letters of protection. Weird.

Moreover, he fails to mention how the Rams paid out a contract of a WR who was deemed medically unable to play. That should give players and agents peace and security, at least where the Rams are concerned.

soap box article I guess

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is such a massive douchetard. Probably has aspirations of being an agent.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I see his point to some extent. How is a player from a small school in Iowa supposed to rent a place in LA or New York without having any money? That shit is expensive, and they will probably have to borrow money from family and pay it back with a bonus, if they are able to.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're always welcome to say Fuck Florio.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see his point to some extent. How is a player from a small school in Iowa supposed to rent a place in LA or New York without having any money? That crap is expensive, and they will probably have to borrow money from family and pay it back with a bonus, if they are able to.

I don't know if this holds true for the Rams but the team I worked for paid travel expenses and put the players up in a hotel.

…..

Legend
I thought they got per diem too. I cant remember the player but he was pretty much a household name. He was also frugal, and said he really loved it when they got in thier seats on the bus or the plane and they passed out the envelopes to everyone. In the envelopes was per diem money. He went on to say he pretty much lived off the "envelope" and saved his salary.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm sure Florio (or another PFT staffer) has written positive articles in the past about our draftee 'education programme'. Can't have it both ways.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought they got per diem too. I cant remember the player but he was pretty much a household name. He was also frugal, and said he really loved it when they got in thier seats on the bus or the plane and they passed out the envelopes to everyone. In the envelopes was per diem money. He went on to say he pretty much lived off the "envelope" and saved his salary.

Yep. This is correct as far as I know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@Shawnbb158 - to answer the question in the title? Hell yes. I pretty much say fuck Florio any time I see an article "written" by that ass hat.

This one is no different. He needs to just keep his ass out of the inner workings of the teams. And yeah - any time he can shed what he views as a poor light on the Rams, he jumps on it. The dude can eat shit and die.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure Florio (or another PFT staffer) has written positive articles in the past about our draftee 'education programme'. Can't have it both ways.
Not sure this is correct - especially if you are talking Florio. You could try digging one up but I'd be surprised to see it.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Not sure this is correct - especially if you are talking Florio. You could try digging one up but I'd be surprised to see it.
Not Florio himself, but some PFT staffer:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igned-with-financial-counseling-coming-first/

Rams’ picks are all unsigned, with financial counseling coming first
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 30, 2015, 8:24 AM EDT
toddgurley.jpeg
AP
Most of this year’s NFL draft picks have already signed their contracts. But none of the Rams’ picks have.

That’s because the Rams’ policy is to give each player financial counseling before anyone signs a contract.

In each of the last two years, the Rams have signed all their picks en masse, after gathering the rookie class together and giving the players a course on financial management. Players are instructed on what the team calls “Financial Planning 101,” with information about how to invest and how not to go broke.

The Rams’ rookies will get signing bonuses of anywhere from $70,000 for seventh-round pick Martin Ifedi, all the way up to more than $8 million for first-round pick Todd Gurley. The Rams want to give those players the money they need to use that money wisely.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed upon in 2011 makes rookie contracts so straightforward that there’s little to negotiate, and little reason not to sign immediately. Except for the reason the Rams have found: Making sure players have some information about how to invest their money before they receive it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

I'll accept my apology in the form of some pig feathers sauce!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not Florio himself, but some PFT staffer:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igned-with-financial-counseling-coming-first/

Rams’ picks are all unsigned, with financial counseling coming first
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 30, 2015, 8:24 AM EDT
toddgurley.jpeg
AP
Most of this year’s NFL draft picks have already signed their contracts. But none of the Rams’ picks have.

That’s because the Rams’ policy is to give each player financial counseling before anyone signs a contract.

In each of the last two years, the Rams have signed all their picks en masse, after gathering the rookie class together and giving the players a course on financial management. Players are instructed on what the team calls “Financial Planning 101,” with information about how to invest and how not to go broke.

The Rams’ rookies will get signing bonuses of anywhere from $70,000 for seventh-round pick Martin Ifedi, all the way up to more than $8 million for first-round pick Todd Gurley. The Rams want to give those players the money they need to use that money wisely.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed upon in 2011 makes rookie contracts so straightforward that there’s little to negotiate, and little reason not to sign immediately. Except for the reason the Rams have found: Making sure players have some information about how to invest their money before they receive it.
Not sure this is positive spin. Seems just more like basic information. A positive article might be something that says - Rams look out for Rookies entering first contract or actually giving credit for a pretty unique approach that does the Rams no good except help their players transition into the NFL. As it is, that one is neither positive or negative - which is fine.

Regardless, as you can see - it is NOT written by Florio. Maybe Florio should have read this piece before taking his bitchy little jab. He knows why the Rams do what they do. He could have included this same information but CHOSE not to as it didn't fit his agenda and was an easy way to take a shot at the Rams. Sorry but Florio is a tool of the highest order who loves to take shots at the Rams. He does almost no research but to take other people's work and reword it as if it is his own. I have ZERO respect for the guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
If anybody thinks the Rams don't take care of their draft picks before their deals are signed you just need to remember last years case of Bud Sasser.