Can Goff find that sweet spot on the Dalton Scale?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...land-north-of-andy-dalton-on-the-dalton-scale

img

For those not entirely plugged into the bonus levels of the internet, the "Dalton Scale" is a term coined by Chris Wessling of the Around the NFL Podcast. Simply put, if your starting quarterback is worse than Andy Dalton, you need a new quarterback; and anyone above that line is a long-term option and/or a potential Franchise piece. Sparing yourself the toil of ranking some 15 or so middle-of-the-road QBs to jostle Dalton's ranking up or down 4 spots would be a good idea here. Just accept that Andy Dalton, despite having his best year last year, statistically, is basically the standard by which all potential Franchise QBs are measured. But if it makes you more comfortable to insertAlex Smith as the new prime meridian, then go ahead and do that.

Sam Bradford has never been above Dalton-level on this scale. Even during his Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign, Bradford wasn't considered a top 15 QB in the league despite throwing the ball 590 times; third most in the league behind Drew Brees andPeyton Manning. Now the reasons for Bradford being type-cast as average (or a 'JAG') are many, varied, justifiable, and conclusive, depending on who you ask. One thing thatisn't debatable is that Sam Bradford landed in one of the least attractive situations a quarterback could find himself in when he was selected #1 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft. To be fair, it's often the case that a QB drafted #1 overall is going to end up in a situation that warrants an uphill climb, but Sam Bradford's jumping off point was followed by a rapid descent. By the time he took the field for his 33rd career start, Bradford had cycled through 2 Head Coaches, 3 Offensive Coordinators, 30 receiving targets, and 23 offensive linemen. None of whom, to this day, were considered game-changers; with the exception of maybe, Brandon Lloyd. Any fan with even a passing interest in objectivity would agree, this isn't conducive to long-term (or even short-term) success.

The last (or most recent) quarterback for the Rams Franchise who could be positioned on the positive side of the Dalton scale would be Marc Bulger. In 2003, only 2 quarterbacks threw for over 4000 yards, and Marc Bulger was nipping at their heels with 3845 of his own - good for 3rd on the NFL passing yardage list at the time. In 2004, Bulger ranked 6th on the NFL passing yardage list, and led the Rams to what still remains their last playoff appearances. Following an injury-riddled down year in 2005, Bulger rebounded nicely in 2006 with career highs in passing yards (4,301) and touchdowns (24) while playing in 16 games for the first time in his career. In this span, Marc Bulger had reached 10,000 yards passing in just 38 games. Faster than Peyton Manning (39) and just as quickly as Dan Marino (38). Despite what any tenured Rams fan may think, many analysts and NFL executives would risk building an NFL offense around Marc Bulger at the time that Marc was considered to be in his prime.

(Insert obligatory reference to Kurt Warner's remarkableness here to dispel any perceived slight on my part as a result of his omission in this article).

And moving on...

Over the past 10 years, and for all of the known reasons, the Rams have not had a quarterback who could be considered a Franchise passer as defined by the Dalton Scale. Sam Bradford had the promise, the tools, and the requisite measurables, but the stars simply didn't align with him; and because of his injury history, the Rams were forced to cycle through Dalton-Scale Southern Dwellers A.J. Feeley, Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill,Austin Davis, Nick Foles and Case Keenum. All of whom did an admirable job of playing within the constraints of their relative mediocrity.

Well, times they are a changin'. Because, well, times they have to change. For the second time in 6 years, the Rams have pinned their future hopes on a ready-made Franchise quarterback by expending the #1 overall pick in the draft. The first time it cost the Rams over sixty million dollars. This time, however, it cost nearly the equivalent in draft capital spread out over two years coupled with a more palatable salary. That said, the environment that Jared Goff will find himself in is arguably orders of magnitude better than the situation Sam Bradford found himself in. The defense is certainly better. The receivers are certainly better. Special Teams are certainly better. The run game is certainly better. The Coaching is certainly better.

Yes it is too.

In order for Jared Goff to land north of Andy Dalton this year, however,a perfect storm of chemistry, continuity, player development, player health, execution, and lucky bounces will have to descend upon Los Angeles regularly, all year long. Because the odds of a rookie quarterback orchestrating an offense with young receivers and new targets effectively and efficiently over the course of a year are pretty low. That's not to say it can't be done, but the odds really are fairly slim - especially if you consider that over the past decade there hasn't been a winning tradition to fall back on. But wait. There are some saving graces that fans can pin their hopes on. The Rams went 7-9 last year with Nick Foles and Case Keenum. There was only a -3.1 point differential on the year between points scored and points allowed (again, with Nick Foles and Case Keenum). They were 4-2 in the division. Todd Gurley will absolutely give Jared Goff the freedom to exploit single coverage early on. For all we know, Rob Boras could be to Jared Goff as Jim Bob Cooter is to Matthew Stafford. Under Cooter, a first-time Offensive Coordinator who was promoted from QB Coach, Stafford posted career bests in completion percentage (67.2%) and QBR (67.6). And finally, the Rams' offense is the very definition of balanced; and as such, Goff won't have to shoulder the load. He'll simply have to be better than his predecessors.

img

BOTTOM LINE: Jared Goff will need to at least surpass 3200 yards passing, throw 25 touchdowns, have a low int% a high QBR, and lead the Rams to the playoffs for the first time in a decade in order to move off of the Andy Dalton line in a positive direction. This year? Probably not, but the Rams have made a concerted effort to draft and develop groups of players in the most important positions, and they have the potential to develop, together, over the course of the next several years. If that development is accelerated this year, then sure - anything can happen. The hope, though, is that the Rams have found themselves that once in a generation talent who can facilitate that accelerated timetable and place himself in the upper echelon of not Andy Daltons. If that comes to pass, then everyone associated with his ascent will become geniuses by default.

Fingers crossed.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Fans' interpretation of what makes a successful NFL QB is interesting. Someone posted on the Rams subreddit that they hope Jared Goff is as good as Alex Smith and I posted how Smith is a bust, and got roasted. Smith is on the same level of Bradford, in my opinion, and I think the majority of us would agree that as Smith was for the 49ers, Bradford was a bust for our team.

Smith, Bradford, and even Dalton to a lesser extent, are all sub-par QB's in my eyes. There are bits and pieces of their games that look great on paper, but haven't translated to much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dalton gets no respect...........he had the second highest QB rating last year and a 25/7 TD/INT ratio (only played 13 games) and the second highest YPA at 8.4 yet he is the median?

Oh. Alright.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fingers crossed.
After reading this post, I don't think the writer means THIS^!!
I can see Goff passing for 4000 yards and passing for over 30 TD's! Not to mention how many rushing yards and rushing TD's he'll get!!(y):yess::D

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Ive always been a fan of Dalton and thought he was criminally underrated, so personally if Goff can be as good as Dalton I'd be quite happy

A55VA6

Legend
Ive always been a fan of Dalton and thought he was criminally underrated, so personally if Goff can be as good as Dalton I'd be quite happy
With a QB as good as Dalton, and having Gurley, Tavon, and a good defense and ST - that should be a recipe for playoffs year in and year out. I'm hopeful.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Goff should look amazing in the Rams offense compared to what we have watched the past what 9 yrs. He is the anti 2015 Rams QB, Goff makes quick decisions, unlike Foles, has a quick release like we havent seen in a Rams uni in a long time and he is accurate and Bradford is the only recent Rams QB that we could say that about. Goff has taken a pounding and always gotten up, if the OL can give him better protection than he had at Cal, shouldnt be to hard, he wont have to take so many hits. Just think no more yelling get rid of the fucking ball 5 or 6 times before the QB takes a sack or worse sack/fumble. Goffs biggest strengths are all the biggest weaknesses of the collective QBs we have watched the past 4 yrs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great read. And whether the criticism of Dalton is fair or not, he does provide a barometer - currently.

Goff is better though. His processing speed, foot work and arm strenght are already at a level beyond Dalton. He'll just need to be patient his first year or two as he learns the nuances of the game. And that's why we have Gurley.

Go Rams!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes I did. ;)
My Bad! I assumed the writer of the Turf show times piece was the one that made the "Fingers Crossed" comment! And from the tenor of the piece, it didn't sound credible! I didn't realize it was you, -X-, that made the final comment!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Bad! I assumed the writer of the Turf show times piece was the one that made the "Fingers Crossed" comment! And from the tenor of the piece, it didn't sound credible! I didn't realize it was you, -X-, that made the final comment!
I am the writer of the Turf Show Times piece.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
True, but then he does things like this:
Dalton.gif

He may not be your idea of a good QB, but if he does not pull this pass down, it is a pick six or a WR maimed at best. Against R. Sherman and S'hawks who play defense especially when they have you pinned deep!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess I misinterpreted the piece then! I know you care about the Rams!
I'm just setting realistic expectations for Goff's first year. I do expect big things from him eventually, but it's a lot to ask of him to transform the offense in his first year with the same group of receivers and 4 new ones. I do think that Gurley will give him some opportunities to exploit single coverage; and if he can capitalize early on, the two of them will keep defenses honest. If that happens, and he develops an early rapport with a couple of receivers, then there's no reason to think he can't put together a really good rookie season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm just setting realistic expectations for Goff's first year. I do expect big things from him eventually, but it's a lot to ask of him to transform the offense in his first year with the same group of receivers and 4 new ones. I do think that Gurley will give him some opportunities to exploit single coverage; and if he can capitalize early on, the two of them will keep defenses honest. If that happens, and he develops an early rapport with a couple of receivers, then there's no reason to think he can't put together a really good rookie season.
How do you think he will compare to say, Bradford's, Luck's or Cam Newton's Rookie years!?(y):unsure:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am the writer of the Turf Show Times piece.

when i saw it was a tst piece i just scrolled down past it to read the comments until i reached this one. then i scrolled back up and read the article. now that was an article worth reading, well done. except the reference to qbr, you lost me there.(y)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
correct... all the talent we have just acquired is just that ... talent. Until they get used to the NFL game and speed, there is going to be some growing pains. I for one am drinking the coolaid ... but it is mainly for next year and beyond. This year is going to look and feel like a transition season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How do you think he will compare to say, Bradford's, Luck's or Cam Newton's Rookie years!?(y):unsure:
I can't make any comparisons, because I'll just be flat-out wrong.
Bradford threw the ball almost 600 times to virtually nobody.
Luck took over a team that (outside of the year prior to him being drafted), had double digit wins for a decade
Newton is an entirely different kind of player who went to an entirely different kind of scheme.

With any luck, we'll be comparing all rookies from here on out to Jared Goff's rookie year. :yess: