Can Gerald Everett take the next step like Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is not true my friend! We may not have had a really good one in a while, BUT we did have at one time:
* Marlin McKeever
* Billy Truax
* Jack Snow ( I believe was considered a TE)
* Bob Klein
* Terry Nelson
* David Hill
and
* Ernie Conwell
Just to name a few of the better ones! But your right in one respect, IT's been a Long, Loooong time since we had a good one!!
I said 'great," Dave, we have never had one of those. Don't believe we ever had a TE catch for more than a 1000 yards. I'm talking Tony Gonzales great..or even, Gronk great.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wut?
~Gronk's 2017 Patriots

nighttrain

Legend
This is not true my friend! We may not have had a really good one in a while, BUT we did have at one time:
* Marlin McKeever
* Billy Truax
* Jack Snow ( I believe was considered a TE)
* Bob Klein
* Terry Nelson
* David Hill
and
* Ernie Conwell
Just to name a few of the better ones! But your right in one respect, IT's been a Long, Loooong time since we had a good one!!
Jack Snow
Jack Thomas Snow

Position: WR-SE

6-2, 190lb
the others TE and some very good
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SONOFA ~Todd Gurley (real MVP)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When McVay is running the offense it is worth it to commit resources. McVay didn't have Gurley in Washington. Add good TE play to what we have and this offense will be very hard to slow down even in the playoffs.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Granted, Higbee's ceiling is lower but he went from barely making it onto the field in his first year to being a fairly reliable target (there were some drops) in the passing game and his run-blocking continued to get better and better as the season went on.

If we simply saw Everett improve to the point where his run blocking got better and he knew the playbook better, I think we'd really have a nice new weapon for next year.

We spent a considerable part of the year in 3-WR personnel and eschewed two TE for the most part. It could be really nice to have more two TE formations available to us in the future to allow more variety in the run game and diversify the play-action game too.
I would like for McVay and Snead to really evaluate the TE position and decide if they have the guys they believe can get the job done. If they don’t believe they do, I wouldn’t mind seeing Trey Burton brought in. I think he is like Delanie Walker. Very talented, just stuck behind someone else.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
TE's usually take 2-3 to really start being really reliable and/or productive. Next year the combo with Hemingway back should be pretty damn beastly.

Ellard80

Legend
When I listened to McVays presser the day after the game it was telling - when he talked about the TE position he mentioned Everett first, then kind of threw Higbee in at the end; McVay is never negative about his players in pressers, but the way he spelled things out, it was pretty clear to see that he wasn't overly comfortable with our current TE development.

Everett is more of a big play thread, Higbee is big and strong and a good RAC guy.

However, neither has shown the ability to consistently catch the ball.

But obviously they are young.. and if you want to build winning teams that last then you have to be able to develop some of your talent - not cap space to FA every position you need.

It how Seattle won for so long - their QB was cheap and they could spend money on their defense.

That, however, could be about to end.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
This catch vs. Nashville makes me not want to give up on Higbee so soon.

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/vodzil...atch_for-fSHCp4Ha-20171224_105703915_700k.mp4

Everett is only a rookie. He's got plenty of learning to do.

Hemingway will essentially still be a "sophomore" as he lost the entire season this year.

The Rams have three kids with plenty of upside at TE. TE isn't of terrible concern to me. The Rams have some bigger holes to fill.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Higbee’s unreliable hands annoy the heck outta me, but I think there’s no denying he made a big step from year one to year two. Tripled his production, became a full time starter, blocking impoved a ton, yds/rec improved and catch % improved. 85 yds to 295 yds.

However, Higbee still cannot be counted upon.

Frankly, I hope they make a run at Graham or Eifert— a reliable TE could be huge for the McVay offense.

Regardless, here’s hoping that Everett improves from year one to year two as much as Higbee did. Everett had 16 rec for 244 yards, so if Everett can triple his rookie year numbers like Higbee, well...

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but without Gronk this year, Brady wouldn't be considered an MVP candidate..imo

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Actually IMO, Everett might play the Austin role next season as he's a former running back and I see the Rams going with two Tight End sets more often next year. Everett had a forgettable game against San Francisco, but I still believe he will become a very good player and I wonder how Temarrick Hemingway will look next season too as Hemingway was looking very good in preseason in McVay's offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett is more of a big play thread, Higbee is big and strong and a good RAC guy.

Everett's got absolutely rare RAC skills. Queue up his college film, just crazy good RAC man and I have to think it is going to show next year.

Higs can hurt guys who don't wrap him up, but I don't consider him rare in the RAC stuff like Everett. And of course in this offense he's just too limited with his hands. He's gotta improve his hands and in particular his ability to focus the ball in when someone's in his grill. If not, he will be phased out. McVay doesn't play around with bad hands, this offense requires guys to haul that thing in.

GMs roll the dice every year. Rams rolled it last year on TE, and rightly so, by getting rid of a vet with bad hands. Results were mixed, though, and Les has to make the call on whether he's going to roll the dice again when he's got a head coach who I know was disappointed in his TE room. If they really like Higs, they'll stand pat at TE and maybe just bring a depth guy like Carrier back. If not, they'll at least chase some options in FA.