Can Gerald Everett take the next step like Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Granted, Higbee's ceiling is lower but he went from barely making it onto the field in his first year to being a fairly reliable target (there were some drops) in the passing game and his run-blocking continued to get better and better as the season went on.

If we simply saw Everett improve to the point where his run blocking got better and he knew the playbook better, I think we'd really have a nice new weapon for next year.

We spent a considerable part of the year in 3-WR personnel and eschewed two TE for the most part. It could be really nice to have more two TE formations available to us in the future to allow more variety in the run game and diversify the play-action game too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Looking forward to seeing Higbeast and Everett on the field in the future. I know our TE group was not a real strength this past season, but I think it will become one going forward. I will also be interested to see what Hemmingway has to offer when he recovers.

Psycho_X

Legend
I hope so, the kid has the physical ability to be something special. I trust McVay will come up with some crazy ways to utilize him in the passing game next season.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The next step is to make the tough catches consistently. So far neither has proven they can but their still young.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think that Mcvay who has bit of coaching history with the Skins @ TE knows very well that his TE unit was in "Fail Mode" most of the 2017 season. He is sure to admit this & one would guess he is already planning to rectified this major 2017 offensive flaw. It was obvious that when McVay upped the ante of Everett's play late ...that Everett was not ready & he laid an awful stink-in rotten egg.

Snead has invested in draft selections @ TE's in 2016/2017. Higbee/ Everett/ Hemingway are young in experience. The 2018 season is another opportunity to move forward in his coaching resume & the TE's must play a major part in it. He also has 2 other TE's who are young in experience with Johnny Mundt & Henry Krieger-Coble. Excellent pass catcher Derek Carrier stands a good chance to return too. I do not have much concern with our overall TE unit @ this time. Patience is in order here with Everett something I was reminded in the chat room late this season. At this point I I agree.

Finally I do think that the graceful Temarrick Hemingway in his cameo appearance in the 2017 pre season may be the best natural route runner, ball catcher & YAC'er of the entire TE unit, so I am excited. I am fine with the main five wide outs we have in Kupp, Woods, Cooper, Thomas & Reynolds to go wit the main five TE's we have.In addition both Gurley & Brown have proven to be good patch catching RB that have skills in this area.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, the Hemmingway injury was a bummer... one got the sense that he would have been a nice situational weapon and possible asset in the redzone with his height. I have to imagine he'll be ready for training camp with his injury happening so early (pre-season).

In another thread, someone mentioned how redzone improvement is a big area that the offense needs to take the next step. Having Hemmingway back could make a significant impact there...

Ram65

Legend
Everett has to get tougher and more physical. Some early season passes Goff made a little hard to catch. The ones in the flat as a safety valve. Later on he was pushed around some by defenders. It could be a combination of getting stronger and more confidence is needed. There weren't many passes thrown to him where he was running a route like in the last game. If he works in the off season he can come back strong and gain the confidence of McVay he should have a very good year. He can be a great mismatch in this Rams offense.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee is a bad comparison for Everett IMO. I expect much more from Gerald than inconsistent hands and improved blocking. He needs to flash some serious Jordan Reed type usage for Sean next season, so at the least he has to have good hands to include some ability to make contested catches, and a strong RAC type ability too. I think both are well within reason for him too, given what I've seen from him this past season in camp on.

IMO it's critical this TE group improves. It has to, for Sean's offense to have that potency against better defenses.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was gonna say, what step was that? I'd hope Everett is nothing like Higbee or his steps....dude went from a solid looking rookie, to a timid 2nd year player....he will not make a tough catch in traffic while absorbing contact....ever since that Dallas game 2 years ago. Jared relying on him is....is...detrimental to his development...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not concerned with Everett's development (yet); showed a lot of flashes, especially with that huge run against the Redskins. Our WRs were lethal this season, if followed up with our TEs stepping up next season, there's going to be mismatch nightmares galore

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higbee took the next step? Damn... I missed it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I once looked through Rams history for for a great Rams TE in history.....we never had one. A great Rams TE is more rare than a 2nd Rams Supr Bowl win, so we’ll see if McVay can overcome the great Rams TE CURSE!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I feel pretty good about Everett’s chances for big improvement.

Hell, Higbee and Hemingway, too.

Here’s why. Look at the dramatic improvements we’ve already see in McVay’s first year.

Goff
Gurley
OL
WR group

Literally a worst to first O.

I mean, the TE group is all that’s left. And McVay is Mr TE Whisperer by reputation.

So, it’s reasonable to expect that McVay will devote his considerable talent and expertise to his TE group, don’t you think?

I sure wouldn’t bet against him, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I once looked through Rams history for for a great Rams TE in history.....we never had one. A great Rams TE is more rare than a 2nd Rams Supr Bowl win, so we’ll see if McVay can overcome the great Rams TE CURSE!

Pete Holohan was probably my favorite of the historical TEs. But yeah it hasn't been a position of excellence for us like OL or DL or many other positions.

Re: McVay the coaching, scheming/utilization is top-notch. So have to think we will see some greatness grow at the position. Since I still do think Everett is going to be good in this offense the question in my mind is whether Higs will develop the hands. That's iffy right now IMO, although he does still have time to do so.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Fisher always said players make their biggest strides from year 1 to 2. I think that's probably true or true-ish. To me Higbee made some good advances this year. Everett flashed some potential at times but was largely silent later in the season. I think he will improve next year. But it might be 2019 before our TE pair really hit their mark. Not sure if Hemingway will really be a starter.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Players never develop past year 2. Higbee has reached his ceiling.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fisher always said players make their biggest strides from year 1 to 2. I think that's probably true or true-ish. To me Higbee made some good advances this year. Everett flashed some potential at times but was largely silent later in the season. I think he will improve next year. But it might be 2019 before our TE pair really hit their mark. Not sure if Hemingway will really be a starter.

TEs take awhile to develop, that's easily understandable considering they have to learn blocking assignments and route trees

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is not true my friend! We may not have had a really good one in a while, BUT we did have at one time:
* Marlin McKeever
* Billy Truax
* Jack Snow ( I believe was considered a TE)
* Bob Klein
* Terry Nelson
* David Hill
and
* Ernie Conwell
Just to name a few of the better ones! But your right in one respect, IT's been a Long, Loooong time since we had a good one!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ernie Conwell was great... he just didn't have good knees IIRC.