Can Fisher get us to the "promised land"?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Can Fisher get us to the SB within 3 years?

• Sure. He has both the experience and the needed control.

• Doubtful. Occasional playoff appearances are his probable ceiling.

• Nope. He's a 20 year career .500 HC. That's his ceiling.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've been thinking about this lately. I've gotta say that now I just dunno.

When Fisher was hired I jumped on the bandwagon. What was not to like? Especially after Linehan and Spags?

Loved Fisher's experience, complete football control authority, hiring Snead to identify talent (what a concept, huh?), got his pick of experienced and proven assistants, and the bonanza of premium draft picks.

He got off to an encouraging start in '12. Actually outcoached some quality HC's, including Harbaugh.

But now reality has set in for me. I see perplexing draft and personnel decisions, plus that off coverage D that he seems to favor. And he never seems to get a handle on our excessive penalties that keep killing us.

This year, year 3, was supposed to be our year. Yet it is a hot mess, at least so far.

It pains me to say it, but Fisher might be limited to a ceiling of .500 W/L record. That's been his 20 year track record, after all.

Plenty good enough to get us out of the NFL basement, not not good enough to get us to the NFL playoff and SB stratosphere.

Hope I'm wrong...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Delete this one, or the other?

Dude, think back to the phone booth...Think back before the microwave oven.....before the refrigerator....slow down...remember the mess that was 2008-2009.....It takes time...we are in a good place....high expectations are here for a reason...we have TALENT...Damn. I wish Sam was playing, so we could all realize what is going down out in the Lou.....Patience...like A-Rod says..R-E-L-A-X

tbux

Rookie
We are definitely going the right direction- but losing your leader two times would hurt any HC. Tough break. We will get there, just gonna take a bit longer now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I've been thinking about this lately. I've gotta say that now I just dunno.

When Fisher was hired I jumped on the bandwagon. What was not to like? Especially after Linehan and Spags?

Loved Fisher's experience, complete football control authority, hiring Snead to identify talent (what a concept, huh?), got his pick of experienced and proven assistants, and the bonanza of premium draft picks.

He got off to an encouraging start in '12. Actually outcoached some quality HC's, including Harbaugh.

But now reality has set in for me. I see perplexing draft and personnel decisions, plus that off coverage D that he seems to favor. And he never seems to get a handle on our excessive penalties that keep killing us.

This year, year 3, was supposed to be our year. Yet it is a hot mess, at least so far.

It pains me to say it, but Fisher might be limited to a ceiling of .500 W/L record. That's been his 20 year track record, after all.

Plenty good enough to get us out of the NFL basement, not not good enough to get us to the NFL playoff and SB stratosphere.

Hope I'm wrong...

And what exactly makes it "reality?"

Or is it just your reality, where the decisions that have been made are ones you don't agree with? Are they perplexing because you haven't the instant results? FTR, this team hasn't taken one player I wanted them to, except Barrett Jones.

You can't play press every down, either. Just like with playing off and risking completions and missed tackles, you risk getting burned.

Regarding penalties, those self inflicted things like false starts and whatnot, they haven't really been an issue. Judgement calls can't be controlled.

As far as his career record goes, it's just the cycle of teams. Look at his record year by year. You'll see it goes from 4 to 8 wins a couple seasons or so to 10+ win seasons. Then goes back again. Of course being in the league as long as he as, the win/loss record will balance itself out.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not without a steady QB. Doesn't matter if that turns out to be Sam, Austin Davis, or someone who is not yet on the roster. We need stability at the QB position

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Do you happen to know what was going in in the front office in Tennessee that might've led to this .500 record?

I'm not talking about Vince Young being forced on him either.

Just curious, because most people who bring up the .500 record don't.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Stability and continuity. You'll find these in the consistently high performing teams. The Rams haven't had the benefit of these in a very long time.

People in Cleveland will tell you how Belly-Cheat didn't know anything about being a successful HC.

Put a plan in place that you believe in and stick with the plan without changing it. Stay on course. All good things take time.

Stability and continuity. You'll find these in the consistently high performing teams. The Rams haven't had the benefit of these in a very long time.

People in Cleveland will tell you how Belly-Cheat didn't know anything about being a successful HC.

Put a plan in place that you believe in and stick with the plan without changing it. Stay on course. All good things take time.

Are teams successful because of stability and continuity or do teams have stability and continuity due to success?

V3

Hall of Fame
I think he can if someone else is in charge of personnel decisions and he just sticks to coaching but that isn't a choice.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Playoffs perhaps, but SB... Na can't see it, but then I am an eternal optimist
As the Giants have shown us, once the playoffs start all bets are off. Any playoff team can get hot and win it all. So if fish can get us there we can certainly win it.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
As the Giants have shown us, once the playoffs start all bets are off. Any playoff team can get hot and win it all. So if fish can get us there we can certainly win it.

Sorry, can't see it :-(
Maybe it's all these years of sub 500 football that have gotten to me

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Are teams successful because of stability and continuity or do teams have stability and continuity due to success?
I'm sure it is some of both but I think if you look at teams that have had stability or continuity, you will see multiple SBs to go along with their multiple down years. I can think of the Steelers, Packers, Landry Cowboys, Giants, off-hand but there are others.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And what exactly makes it "reality?"

Or is it just your reality, where the decisions that have been made are ones you don't agree with? Are they perplexing because you haven't the instant results? FTR, this team hasn't taken one player I wanted them to, except Barrett Jones.

You can't play press every down, either. Just like with playing off and risking completions and missed tackles, you risk getting burned.

Regarding penalties, those self inflicted things like false starts and whatnot, they haven't really been an issue. Judgement calls can't be controlled.

As far as his career record goes, it's just the cycle of teams. Look at his record year by year. You'll see it goes from 4 to 8 wins a couple seasons or so to 10+ win seasons. Then goes back again. Of course being in the league as long as he as, the win/loss record will balance itself out.

Yes, I guess it IS my reality, Angry.

Let's just forget the X's and O's for just a minute. And put aside all the numerous puzzling points I raised earlier.

Fisher is a slightly above .500 HC over the course of 20 years. Let that sink in for just a moment... Twenty years is ample time for a HC to demonstrate sustained excellence. Or just mediocrity.

In addition, we are off to a 1-2 start this season.

What is it within the above 2 paragraphs that should give us confidence that Fisher will lead us to the SB in the next few years?

THAT'S why I'm raising questions here today.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I just read an article about the Browns and Hoyer. In it the writer made a point..........he said when they fired Chudzinski they had at that point gone through as many coaches in 24 months as the Steelers had in 45 years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, I guess it IS my reality, Angry.

Let's just forget the X's and O's for just a minute. And put aside all the numerous puzzling points I raised earlier.

Fisher is a slightly above .500 HC over the course of 20 years. Let that sink in for just a moment... Twenty years is ample time for a HC to demonstrate sustained excellence. Or just mediocrity.

In addition, we are off to a 1-2 start this season.

What is it within the above 2 paragraphs that should give us confidence that Fisher will lead us to the SB in the next few years?

THAT'S why I'm raising questions here today.

DV is a .524 career winning percentage guy.

I think Fisher is fine, but he is in a tough spot taking over garbage like he did, be patient and enjoy what's coming. The Davis train is leaving the station......all aboard.

Maybe he is what you say he may be, but I want to see how this year unfolds.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
DV is a .524 career winning percentage guy.

I think Fisher is fine, but he is in a tough spot taking over garbage like he did, be patient and enjoy what's coming. The Davis train is leaving the station......all aboard.

Maybe he is what you say he may be, but I want to see how this year unfolds.
What is more Les to say he can't get us there is ludicrous,he's already gotten a team there . And FWIW most coaches are better in their second jobs ,he's had some terrible breaks no one could see coming and took over one of the worst rosters in the league .

Ram43 lemme say this to you, those points say you use to make in Fishers favor ,didn't become invalid because you see some things you wish were different or have changed your mind ,they still apply are as true as ever, I didn't drink any Kool Aid , no matter what happens with this team if they don't win another damned game ,Fisher will still be a part of an elite group of coaches who have taken a team to a Super Bowl.
I don't think some people appreciate how difficult it is to be . 500 in this league especially with a meddlesome owner

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes. Is Fisher a brilliant Xs and Os coach like Bill Belichick? No. That's why Fisher gives his coordinators so much autonomy...and why when they lose that autonomy, they get fired.

Fisher is more like a Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh or Marvin Lewis. He's a glue guy. He's a leader that players love to play for and respect. His job isn't to outsmart the other coach. He has coordinators to do that. His job is to keep the team united, motivated, and hungry. His job is also to oversee his staff.

It's why Fisher gets away with hiring coordinators that aren't necessarily known as being player oriented coaches. He's the player oriented coach, they're the thinkers.

Some might say that Brian Schottenheimer is a bad choice on this basis. And I'm not sure I agree or disagree at this point. Think he's done a good job thus far this year.

Fisher gambles with personnel decisions because that's who he is. Some coaches don't work well with certain personalities/character traits...some coaches do. It's all about knowing what you can do and doing that well as well as knowing what you can't do and finding people to surround you that do it well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is a slightly above .500 HC over the course of 20 years. Let that sink in for just a moment...

Yes, let that sink in for a moment...20 years as a HC in the NFL. Only 10 coaches have more in the history of the NFL and 7 of those 10 are HOFers. The three non-HOFers are Dan Reeves, Chuck Knox, and Marty Schottenheimer.

20 years...he was must be doing something right.